03-27-2014

USA

16 Signins

200 Page Views

• Views: 200
  • Message 1 of 5

New y510p trackpad problems

2014-03-27, 17:40 PM

I've read that this is an issue for some, but I haven't seen a fix yet searching the forums and other places. Basically, since the buttons are integrated into the trackpad, scrolling and clicking become the same thing which makes using it very, very difficult.

I tend to use an external mouse, but there's times I use the trackpad so if I can't get this fixed I'm going to have to send it back as I had a recent 3 month debacle with Hewlett Packard and "repairing" a defective laptop. I'm not willing to take that chance again.

It's an ELAN touchpad with fully updated drivers. I'm messing with the settings but nothing seems to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Update: I uninstalled the ELAN drivers and downloaded the drivers from Lenovo directly, it seems to have stopped the annoying clicking while scrolling thing. I still wish the buttons were seperated but oh well.

I should ask while I'm editing, is the track pad supposed to have a red light in the divider between left and right buttons? Mine doesn't.

Options

19 Posts

03-27-2014

USA

16 Signins

200 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re: New y510p trackpad problems

2014-03-27, 22:55 PM

Yeah this problem seems intermittent, and since I just spent almost 1k on it I'm not accepting of any problem. I don't want to have to return it, so there has to be some sort of fix.

Anyone?

Options

5385 Posts

05-09-2013

US

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 3 of 5

2014-03-27, 23:55 PM

Try to change your driver: Go to Device manager/Mice and other pointing device. Select/highlight your mouse driver. Click properties and select driver/update driver/browse my computer for driver software/let me pick from a list of device drivers in my computer. If you can see Elan PS/2 Port Smart-Pad  give it a try or if you can see Thinkpad UltraNav pointing device give this a try also.

Options

19 Posts

03-27-2014

USA

16 Signins

200 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2014-03-28, 14:47 PM

It seems to be okay now. Part of the problem is I'm not a huge fan of the "one piece" trackpad design, because I leave a finger on the left click while scrolling and that can throw the mouse off. I wish the buttons were independent of the mousepad, but without ELAN offering the option to make the bottom section a "scrolling dead zone" it can't be like that.

It just requires using it differently. If there is a way to make the bottom a "scrolling dead zone" where you can only click, let me know!

Options

5385 Posts

05-09-2013

US

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 5 of 5

2014-03-28, 17:13 PM

wrote:

It seems to be okay now. Part of the problem is I'm not a huge fan of the "one piece" trackpad design, because I leave a finger on the left click while scrolling and that can throw the mouse off. I wish the buttons were independent of the mousepad, but without ELAN offering the option to make the bottom section a "scrolling dead zone" it can't be like that.

It just requires using it differently. If there is a way to make the bottom a "scrolling dead zone" where you can only click, let me know!

If you have change the driver to one that I gave earlier you can adjust the "smart area". That should give you that dead zone.

smart area settings.JPG

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete