cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aitras
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,413
Message 1 of 4

No key Windows 8 in the BIOS after repair Z580. How to return?

In 2012 I bought Lenovo Z580 (i5-3210M, GT640M). Windows 8 OEM. After purchase I reinstalled the OS. The HDD was completely formatted. A later I found a video card failure. The service center replaced the motherboard under warranty. Works perfectly.

Now I want to install Windows 8. I tried to run the installation. It requires the enter key. I used "Windows OEM Product Key Tool". Result - message "Unable to open MSDM table!". The product key isn’t present in my BIOS!

How do I replace it or get another?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,369
Message 2 of 4

Re: No key Windows 8 in the BIOS after repair Z580. How to return?

hi aitras,

It's odd that the machine didn't gave you any "Windows isn't activated" or "Your license will expire soon" message after the unit was serviced as a  new motherboard usually contains a new DPK (Digital Product Key) and you usually need to reinstall the OS for it to catch the DPK or read the product key in the BIOS and perform an slui 3 on a command line or follow this guide.to activate Windows with the new key.

Just to check, after the motherboard was replaced, did you clean install a different version of Windows into the Z580 (e.g., Windows 7 SP1 64bit) and used your own key?

In addition, if you boot into the BIOS > Information Tab, do you see the Win8 license there? 

- Sample image

If you see the Win8 STD license, follow Option 1 of this guide and try to install Windows 8 on the machine (the installer should automatically pickup the DPK in the BIOS and will automatically activate Windows).

If you don't see the Win8 STD license then I recommend you contact lenovo support and report your findings as there's likely no DPK pre-injected into the new motherboard (and also if it's still possible to go about getting a new product key)

Support phone list

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

aitras
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,360
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply. After the motherboard was replaced, I installed Windows 7. I didn't think about the Windows 8 DPK (he exists or not in BIOS).

BIOS Info now:

bios info

I already wrote to the Lenovo support today.

Sorry for my bad English.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,349
Message 4 of 4

hi there,

That's likely the reason Windows didn't report any error with the new mobo as installing a different version of Windows will use a different key (unless the PC has downgrade rights).

I hope you get the issue sorted out.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors