Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
max2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,011
Message 1 of 6

No num lock on Y400?

Greetings,

I'm a new owner of a Y400 and overall, I am very pleased so far with the performance of this computer.  It has many earmarks of a well-conceived design for its category of computer.

That said, while recently trying to type alt codes in my word processor so I can produce special characters (e.g. so that  I can type 'resumé' instead of 'resume'), it appears that Lenovo didn't see fit to include the ability to: 

• enable num lock or 
  • give access to an alternative numeric keypad by doubling up keys using the FN key (on other laptops of comprable size, the keys that do double duty for a numeric keypad are 789uiojklm)

I did some research online and found this article: http://fsymbols.com/keyboard/windows/alt-codes/laptop/

I
've been really hoping that something in that article will enable me to be able to use alt codes as needed without the need for an external usb numeric keypad but I haven't been able to get any of it to work on the Y400 yet.  I'm hoping someone on this forum might be able to help me with that.  

If not, I can't fathom why Lenovo wouldn't include this functionality on the Y400 other than it was an uintentional oversight on an otherwise well-engineered notepad.

Thanks very much for the help.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 10,004
Message 2 of 6

Re: No num lock on Y400?

Hi
I checked the Lenovo IdeaPad Y400/ Y500 user guide and i didn't see that function at all for y400. I was suprised myself since it does not even have the Numlock indicator. I dont think it has
https://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/user_guides/y400_y500_ug_en.pdf
FYI, y500 has a separate num pad
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
max2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,994
Message 3 of 6

Yea, the manual does not say directly that the Y400 doesn't have this option, it just deals with the Y500 and lets you come to that conclusion by deduction.  

Did you happen to look at the article I attached?  If so, perhaps some of those solutions might work?  Probably not though

it is really a head-scratching omission ... Lenovo could have easily used the F7 or F8 key for an FN+NumLck option.  I would really like to know if it was conscious design choice to omit this option or just something that slipped everyone's mind.  Either way, it's one of those details that had I known about it before hand, I might have selected my computer differently.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,973
Message 4 of 6

@max2 wrote:

Yea, the manual does not say directly that the Y400 doesn't have this option, it just deals with the Y500 and lets you come to that conclusion by deduction.  

Did you happen to look at the article I attached?  If so, perhaps some of those solutions might work?  Probably not though

it is really a head-scratching omission ... Lenovo could have easily used the F7 or F8 key for an FN+NumLck option.  I would really like to know if it was conscious design choice to omit this option or just something that slipped everyone's mind.  Either way, it's one of those details that had I known about it before hand, I might have selected my computer differently.

Hi

I think I found a solution for your problem

In every windows, there is an on-screen keyboard and it seems it serves it purpose. Just search in start screen on-screen keyboard. Then open it. Click options and a new windows will pop up. Tick enable numeric pad and press okay. Then activate numlock from the keyboard and try using the alt combination

Link to image

Moderator comment: Image(s) >50KB (or totaling >50KB) converted to link(s). Community Rules.

Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
max2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,952
Message 5 of 6

Brilliant!  Thank you so much! Smiley Very Happy

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,914
Message 6 of 6

Your welcome max2!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors