Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aporia
Paper Tape
Views: 724
Message 1 of 7

No sound on Z580 after installing windows updates on windows 8

I installed the updates for windows 8 on my laptop and the sound stopped.

I tried to reinstall the realtek drivers from the lenovo website, but the laptop still can't see the audio device.

Anybody know what to do?

aporia
Paper Tape
Views: 694
Message 2 of 7

Re: No sound on Z580 after installing windows updates on windows 8

nobody? how would i make the devices appear in device manager again?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 693
Message 3 of 7

hi aporia,

Can you try to:

1. Configure Windows to disable automatic driver installation for Windows 8

2. On the Device Manager, expand Sound, video and game controllers and If you see the sound device, uninstall it and put a check on "delete the driver software for this device"

3. Right click on any item on the Device Manager and do a Scan for hardware changes -  Windows will now install the generic sound driver. After installation, try to play a sound and observe.

If all goes well, you can re-install the Sound Driver from the lenovo website:

Realtek Audio Driver
0mau04w8.exe
119MB

4.If you still get problems, try to perform a System Restore to undo the changes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebppl and Twitter!

aporia
Paper Tape
Views: 680
Message 4 of 7

A system restore would indeed fix the problem. However, I need my laptop to be up to date with its updates in order to get on to the college network. I'll try the above method now.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 668
Message 5 of 7

hi aporia,

Although doing the system restore is one of the last resort, it will help us verify if the sound issue is really caused by the Windows Updates. If the problem is fixed, you can try to re-install the updates to see if it's just a glitch or if there's something wrong with that update that disables the sound card - if this happens, you can hide the update that caused the problem and observe.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebppl and Twitter!

aporia
Paper Tape
Views: 658
Message 6 of 7

I couldn't do a system restore because it said I only had one previous system restore point (which is ridiculous, as I had problems installing the updates in the first place, so I installed them 10 at a time, and made a restore point each time), so I have had to resort to doing a refresh on my computer.

This is absolutely disgraceful. I can not see myself buying Lenovo again.

MOS182
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 596
Message 7 of 7

I have the same problem. For some reason the laptop's sound just stopped working one day and I can't restore the system
Top Kudoed Authors