Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnnydwicked
Paper Tape
Views: 5,499
Message 1 of 8

Nvidia GTX 660m disappeared

I recently bought y580 that came with the intel 3610qm and the gtx 660m.

The problems I immediatly experience for the first 2 days of use is the graphics card problem. The gtx 660m would disappear by itself when i left the computer on idle. I haven't done any other test besides that. I did play Devil May Cry 4 for long periods and did not have any problems. I ran Blender with cycles and did not have any problems.

So the only problem would be left the computer on idle which for some reason disconnects the Nvidia GTX gpu. Is this normal? The only way I can get the gpu back up and showing in my computer again was to restart; now if I have to do this every time, that would be very annoying.

So which is it? Is this a driver issue or a defective graphic card? Or is this just the so-called optimus tech? Cuz either way, it sucks cuz I can't use the nvidia card when it turns itself off and disappears from the computer until I restart.

I've tried using the default factory installed driver which was the 295 something and the latest 306.97 nvidia geforce drivers for the 600m series but still, whenever I leave my computer idle, it turns itself off.

Please inform.

biorjin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,445
Message 2 of 8

Re: Nvidia GTX 660m disappeared

it is a power management issue, computer switches to HD4000 to save power when idle

link626
802.11n
Views: 5,443
Message 3 of 8

disappears?
you mean from the Device Manager list?

it's always supposed to be present in the device manager list.

to test, you can use GPU-Z and call the gtx gpu sensors in the sensors tab. If the card is there, gpu-z will detect it, and that means it's working

Views: 5,438
Message 4 of 8

Please follow this.
Remove the battery.
Press and hold power button for 30-40 seconds.
Insert battery.
Power on.
See if it happens again
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
johnnydwicked
Paper Tape
Views: 5,390
Message 5 of 8

Ok, this is what I noticed when my graphic card turns off when on long periods of idle (left on for hours), the device manager shows both the intel and generic VGA (which was suppose to be Nvidia when nvidia was turned on).

I tried uninstalling the lenovo power management to see if that fixed the problem.

I'm still wondering if this is normal as long as the so called descrete card show up in the device manager just turned off and changed to the useless generic VGA; what happen is, is that in order to get the Nvidia, back up, I have to manually restart the computer.

johnnydwicked
Paper Tape
Views: 5,388
Message 6 of 8

Methods you described did not do anything to help fix the nvidia turn off problem.

I checked again, and the nvidia card actually is listed in the device manager after it is turned off due to the computer being left long periods of idleness for hours. The card is actually renamed in the device manager as something generic VGA and that is a useless card until I restart the computer then the Nvidia comes back on again.

I also tried uninstalling the lenovov energy management driver to see if that was the culprit. I will let all of you know if this solved the problem or not as I am not the only Y580 owner to experience this annoying problem.

link626
802.11n
Views: 5,376
Message 7 of 8

that is unusual.

your nvidia graphics driver is uninstalling itself, and that should not be happening.

this is a clean system, right?

I have read that corrupted OS can cause drivers to act this way. What you'll need to try is to restore factory image, and if that doesn't work, get a windows iso, format, and clean install windows
Views: 5,363
Message 8 of 8

Ok, I find out what the cause of my Nvidia GTX 660m 2gb graphic card to turn itself off on long periods of idle (like more than 8 hours or so).

The culprit is the  the Lenovo energy mangement program/driver that's causing the graphic card to turn itself off. After I uinstalled the energy management system, the graphic card now stays on. Smiley Very Happy

However, if you uinstall the energy management system, you will no longer have the following working:

1. onekey theather mode button doesn't work (next to mute button) but the onekey theater mode still works but you have to manually adjust it on screen and usually, the icon is located in the notification but if it's not there, then try finding it in the start menu.

2. fn+f5 wifi, fn+f4, and fn+prtsc, do not work. fn+pause, fn+scrLk, and fn+break are useless so I don't really care if they work or not because I don't use them but if you want to know, they don't do anything when I tried to pressing those.

3. Your onscreen indicator such as cap lock, number lock will not show up so you might need to check the LED on your laptop located at the bottom of the touchpad.

You will now only have two performance modes (at least for me) to choose from: balance and high performance.

I currently have the 306.97 driver installed for my Nvidia GTX 660m 2gb. Problems with thte driver will affect 3ds Max 2012-2013 and Autocad 2013.

Well, let me know if uninstalling Lenovo's energy management solved the same issues I had.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors