Options

45 Posts

01-08-2017

DO

201 Signins

1791 Page Views

• Views: 1791
  • Message 1 of 3

Nvidia gpu does not work on battery (Y700 15ISK)

2017-01-09, 16:41 PM

Hello community. I'm passively testing the battery of my newly purchased laptop and something happened that gives me doubts. Firstly, yesterday after suspending windows I realized that the Nvidia GPU stopped working totally, it is assumed that Nvidia optimus can decrease the performance of the GPU but not turn it off completely, as was my case. At that moment I can not make it work and I had to restart windows.

Today this happened to me again and I immediately noticed that the estimated battery time increased dramatically. What I want to know is if this is the preamble of a problem with the GPU or if it is a normal function of the Power saver. In case it is the second, I would like to know if there is any way to turn on the GPU without restarting windows.

Thanks!

Solved! See the solution
Options

3496 Posts

04-02-2014

MX

2520 Signins

39829 Page Views

• Views: 39829
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Nvidia gpu does not work on battery (Y700 15ISK)

2017-01-10, 16:15 PM

As far as I understand your GPU will not be used unless you are gaming or other graphics intensive task.

On battery, laptop GPU's cannot perform at their optimal level and provide lower performance.

What I would like to know is, connecting the power supply back and starting up a graphics intensive task should again utilize the GPU. Is there a problem with that?

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Options

45 Posts

01-08-2017

DO

201 Signins

1791 Page Views

• Views: 1791
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Nvidia gpu does not work on battery (Y700 15ISK)

2017-01-10, 16:31 PM
Hi, thanks for replying. Well basically what was happening was that the Nvidia GPU was disabled after a few minutes of starting windows, then I realized that it was not only with the battery but also connecting the charger, so it was a real problem with the GPU. I uninstalled the drivers and installed the previous version and it was fixed.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete