cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kumaradarsh1993
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,512
Message 1 of 2

OEM or Retail win8 SL for clean install in Y500?

I want to do a clean install of windows 8 on my Y500. While browsing through the forum I came across a solution wherein a clean install was advised through a RETAIL Win8 SL disk. That it will automatically  recognise the pre-loaded key in BIOS.

But on other forums i found for issues as such to be clean installed using an OEM copy of the win8 (leaked ones) and that if Retail version is used , problems come with activation with the pre-loaded key.

1. So which version shall I use...  A retail win8 64 bit sl disk or the OEM one?

2. can I use the win 8 pro x64 retail (or OEM version) ISO to install "win 8 single language" on my Y500?

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,500
Message 2 of 2

Re: OEM or Retail win8 SL for clean install in Y500?

OEM copy of Windows 8 varies from different PC makers

So to answers your questions

1) Use a Windows 8 Single License instead of OEM to clean install

2) It's not possible to install the Windows 8 SL using the Windows 8 pro retail disc. If you use the pro disc, it will install Windows 8 pro no matter what and you would need a separate key to activate it. However, you can modify the Windows pro installation disc to let it install as Windows 8 SL (core edition) and even set the channel to OEM or Retail by following this link: http://techmell.net/how-to/install-windows-8-without-product-key/ 

I don't know if this method will detect your BIOS windows 8 key, but I think it's the only way to use the Windows 8 pro disc (need to copy the data to a USB drive) to install Windows 8 SL.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors