cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deleema1
Serial Port
Views: 32,343
Message 1 of 14

One Key Recovery 8: How to create a Recovery disk(Ideapad Y580 (Windows 8))

I want to konw the way to create the system recovery disk using one key recovery? 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 32,198
Message 2 of 14

Re: One Key Recovery 8: How to create a Recovery disk(Ideapad Y580 (Windows 8))

hi patriot925th, Welcome to the Lenovo Community. To create a recovery disc using the One Key Recovery 8.0, you need to: 1. Type "Recovery" on the start screen and click One Key Recovery 2. On the One Key Recovery application, select System Backup 3. Follow the screen instructions (you might need a flashdrive or external drive to save the backup) Image here: http://www.imagesup.net/?di=1313561145840 You may also like to check: 1. How to create a Windows 8 Recovery Image - http://tinyurl.com/c2zc8a5 2. How to refresh your PC http://tinyurl.com/b7s7xv9 Hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

deleema1
Serial Port
Views: 32,150
Message 3 of 14

i want to create a DVD. windows 8+ software bundlle came up factory default. can u guied me to that?

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 32,145
Message 4 of 14

What you could do is that you could use one key recovery once to reset your laptop back to factory settings. Then, at the first boot you can create recovery media through one key recovery windows app. Also you could install windows 7 version of one key recovery and use the option from okr.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
cheesum
Punch Card
Views: 31,975
Message 5 of 14

Hi neokenchi,

Thanks for the heads up. I am trying to create a recovery image and the Y580 (with Windows 8 pre-installed) require a USB thumbdrive. Somehow, writing to disk is no longer supported ~! Smiley Mad

Can i confirm with you on the following steps? The objective is to do a fresh install of Windows 8 to an SSD. 

Methodology to create Recovery Media and reload a Lenovo system with Microsoft W_2013-01-01_22-41-04.png

Source: http://tinyurl.com/c2zc8a5

Hence, instead of the HDD (Hard Disk Drive), this will be the SSD which i will use as the primary boot drive. Hence, after completing all the steps (from step 1 to 6), the recovery image will be loaded into the SSD and therefore i can boot WIndows 8 from the SSD? Is this correct?? 

Is it as simple as that?

Also, i read in the forum that some users are not able to load the recovery image to blank HDDs. Does the steps above address this issue?

mattezell
Token Ring
Views: 31,607
Message 6 of 14

I am also confused on the process for creating system restore disks.. Before altering my system too much, I wanted to create recovery DVDs.. Using the included One Key app, I do not see a option to create the recovery disks... What am I missing here?

mattezell
Token Ring
Views: 31,591
Message 7 of 14

Hello again.

I recieved my Y580 yesterday.  Before modifying to too heavily, I wanted to create restore media as of course this was not included with the laptop.

I have googled around to try and figure this out, but the videos that demonstrate it show a very intuitive "Create Recovery Media" in their OneKey Recovery options.. Of course, this is no longer an open (*sigh* <sarcasm>I mean, why would you ever want that option on a PC that didn't come with the media... </sarcasm>)...

Does anyone know how new Y580 owners can protect their investment and burn recovery disks?  Since these aren't included, this should be an option (just like it is on every modern PC - just like it was on previous releases of Y580)..

I'm running Windows 8 for what that may be worth...

Thanks!

-Matt

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in

mattezell
Token Ring
Views: 31,571
Message 8 of 14

Still no closer to knowing how to create my recovery disks. Come on, Lenovo - Mods can pay attention to merge our threads, but there isn't anyone official who can officially address this issue?

What we need:

- Instructions on how to 'Create Recovery Media" using the Y580 default software.  

- The recovery media needs to be a BOOTABLE Windows 8 Installation Disk (not a backup image of our system that will only install through OKR)

This is the standard.  This is how manufactures have been doing it since they stopped providing the disks themselves (lame)... Please tell me that you are not trying to take this already watered down process of having to burn my own recovery media one step further towards craptacular and making it so that I can't actully burn my recovery media, but can only make a backup and save it off somplace for use with the OKR (so long as its in tact)..  This would be rediculous.

Again, we need to be able to create a disk or series of disks that will allow us to restore our PC back to factory condition, with partitions and all, if the S hits the fan...  I need bootable, self succificnet recovery disks that will allow me to restore my system, even if the partition table is damaged and so I am forced to build it from the ground up...

Am I missing something?

-Matt

cheesum
Punch Card
Views: 31,562
Message 9 of 14

Hi Mattezell

My Y580 comes pre-loaded with Windows 8 OS. One Key Recovery 8.0 (unlike OKR7.0) does not have the option to burn the recovery disks. For the life of me, i wonder why Lenovo does not allow its customers to burn recovery disks for Windows 8 for Y580~!!!!!

My best advice to you is to call up customer service and request the recovery disks from them. They should not charge ($) you for it since it is their misdoings for not allowing customers to burn recovery disks anymore. If they try to tell you that creating recovery disks are now possible using Windows 8 (instead of OKR8.0) and you need a 16GB USB thumbdrive to do it, you gotta play along with the customer service agent and tell them that it only creates a bootable media. A bootable media is NOT the recovery disks.

Bootable media: created using the 16.0 GB USB thumbdrive---------> the function is that when your Windows 8 cannot boot, you can boot it from the USB thumbdrive. It is something like a repair tool.

Recovery disks: when inserted into your laptop; it will erased everything in the HDD and return the laptop back to factory condition.

Tell the customer service very clearly that what you want is RECOVERY DISKS.

Anyway, my service center is in the progress of getting the recovery disks for me.

mattezell
Token Ring
Views: 31,484
Message 10 of 14

Hello, Cheesum.

Thank you very much for your helpful response. It is ridiculous that they would expect us to not burn recovery media - they just about should not even mention that it comes with an OS Smiley Tongue

I will try what you have described and hopefully get recovery media also.

Thank you again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors