Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cazetoGaming
Paper Tape
Views: 17,212
Message 1 of 30

One key/Recovery key questions - Lenovo Y50

Hello.

I have a couple of questions regarding the one key. 

My laptop came with windows 8.1 installed, and all drivers installed - to make sure, I updated all drivers through Lenovo's website and my graphic card driver through nvidia's website.

1. Nothing happens when I press the recovery button, while my computer is on - is this normal? Should'nt it pop up with some options to restore or something? At least it should open the One Key app up, right? When I press it when the computer is off, it boots up with a BIOS screen with multiple options - just like I thought it would, so I guess that's working fine.

2. I made a One key backup through the One Key app, I saved it on my SSD drive since thats the only drive I have currently, though my SSD is 256 GB large, I also have a small D: drive called "LENOVO" which contains drivers etc, but it's only 25 GB big - I read somewhere that this drive was ment for one key's backup, but my current backup is filling 50 GB twice the D: drive capacity - is there anyway I can make it smaller, or should I just get rid of the D: drive? In that case, how?

My One Key app is Version 8.1.0.2619

Thank you for your time, and have a nice day!

Cheers - Simon

Guru
Views: 17,168
Message 2 of 30

Re: One key/Recovery key questions - Lenovo Y50

When you are logged into Windows, pressing ONE KEY will do nothing.

To boot into Recovery there are options in the Control Panel or the Charms Menu. or as you did shutdown and press the NOVO button.

The D: contains drivers for Lenovo, it is NOT the recovery partition. The Recovery partitions are hidden and can only be seen in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Disk Management

To make best use of One Key, you should create a USB recovery disk/drive.

It is not a system backup but it is a recovery disk and should fit in a USB of 16GB.

Check the User Guide -

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_y40-70_y40-80_y50-70_y50-80_y50-70%20touch_y5...

And the Manual -

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_y40_50_series_hmm.pdf

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 17,169
Message 3 of 30

1. Nothing happens when I press the recovery button, while my computer is on - is this normal?

Answer: Power down the laptop. Press the Novo button. Select System Recovery if you want to restore.

2. I made a One key backup through the One Key app, I saved it on my SSD drive since thats the only drive I have currently, though my SSD is 256 GB large, I also have a small D: drive called "LENOVO" which contains drivers etc, but it's only 25 GB big - I read somewhere that this drive was ment for one key's backup, but my current backup is filling 50 GB twice the D: drive capacity - is there anyway I can make it smaller, or should I just get rid of the D: drive? In that case, how?

Answer: The D drive is the default location of your backup. It is supposed to be an initial backup. That is, a backup when you first received and started your unit. Since OKR will backup other programs that the user installed, the size of the image grows depending when the backup is made. In your case it has grown to more than 50 GB. An external drive will be required.

cazetoGaming
Paper Tape
Views: 17,162
Message 4 of 30

Well the hidden drive, does that have a backup? Or do I need to create a back up to that drive manually? Since it's hidden I'm guessing it does have some kind of backup already.

Well it does say this in the manual: "You can back up the system partition to an image file. To back up the system
partition:
1 Press the Novo button to start the Lenovo OneKey Recovery System.
2 Click System Backup.
3 Select a back-up location and click Next to start the backup."
From what i'm reading, the recovery key/novo key is supposed to launch the Onekey app while the pc is on - as you say, it does nothing.

Can you please refer to a guide to do a USB backup? Since the Onekey Menu doesn't show that, only a Image backup which in my case is 50 GB - and thats huge for such a small 256 GB SSD - I'm saving up for a External HDD but in the mean time it's nice to have a backup.

Should I get rid of the D: drive? Since it's drivers I easily can get access to online? In that case, how do I delete it, and transfer the space to my main drive, C:?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 17,157
Message 5 of 30

@cazetoGaming wrote:
Well the hidden drive, does that have a backup? Or do I need to create a back up to that drive manually? Since it's hidden I'm guessing it does have some kind of backup already.

Well it does say this in the manual: "You can back up the system partition to an image file. To back up the system
partition:
1 Press the Novo button to start the Lenovo OneKey Recovery System.
2 Click System Backup.
3 Select a back-up location and click Next to start the backup."
From what i'm reading, the recovery key/novo key is supposed to launch the Onekey app while the pc is on - as you say, it does nothing.

Can you please refer to a guide to do a USB backup? Since the Onekey Menu doesn't show that, only a Image backup which in my case is 50 GB - and thats huge for such a small 256 GB SSD - I'm saving up for a External HDD but in the mean time it's nice to have a backup.

Should I get rid of the D: drive? Since it's drivers I easily can get access to online? In that case, how do I delete it, and transfer the space to my main drive, C:?

Is the above post directed to me or to Rocky?

Guru
Views: 17,149
Message 6 of 30

The Hidden drive is the original setting with which your laptop is shipped. When you use that for restore,  you will get the laptop in the same condition as when you bought it.

I do not remember exact steps for USB recovery drive and am not close to my laptop right now. Let me search forums or will answer you when I get home after work.

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 17,140
Message 7 of 30

Regarding the guide in making/using a USB recovery stick:

1. OP stated: "Can you please refer to a guide to do a USB backup? Since the Onekey Menu doesn't show that, only a Image backup..."

2. User's guide (link in message 2) does not contain the needed info.

3. Hardware Maintenance manual (link in message 2) also does not contain the needed info.

cazetoGaming
Paper Tape
Views: 17,138
Message 8 of 30

I don't understand your comment - are you just refering to "rockykoston"?
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 17,136
Message 9 of 30

@cazetoGaming wrote:
I don't understand your comment - are you just refering to "rockykoston"?

I'm just stating/pointing the facts regarding the USB Recovery Stick that Rocky stated in message 2 that:

Regarding the guide in making/using a USB recovery stick:

1. cazetoGaming stated: "Can you please refer to a guide to do a USB backup? Since the Onekey Menu doesn't show that, only a Image backup..."

2. User's guide (link in message 2) does not contain the needed info.

3. Hardware Maintenance manual (link in message 2) also does not contain the needed info.

Guru
Views: 17,128
Message 10 of 30

@OP and @Len

Sorry if my statements were confusing BUT the User Guide and Manual are just for OKR info, I know it doesn't contain USB recovery creation guide, Thats why I said that I can post the exact steps when I get home.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors