Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bothy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 848
Message 1 of 20

OneKey recovery failure ideapad Z500 Touch

I really hope that there is someone who can help with a OneKey recovery failure.  Briefly, when Windows 10 was first launched and prior to trying it out, I used the OneKey recovery button to back up my laptop onto an external hard drive.  When I didn’t like Windows 10 I successfully restored everything to where it was by using the OneKey recovery button.  Because this worked I had no hesitation repeating the OneKey process earlier this year.  Sadly, when I pressed the Recovery button, after a few minutes the following message was displayed: “The program cannot restore the system partition because there is not enough available space on the hard drive”.!I tried Lenovo support and was told to take the laptop to PC World, which I did, however after three weeks of trying they failed to restore the laptop too!

Can anyone please help?  Because the recovery worked the first time and I was confident that it would work the second time I didn’t backup any data.  Everything is now locked on the external hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

Bothy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 671
Message 2 of 20

Lenovo Z500 Touch - The program cannot restore the system partition

I’m still trying to resolve a problem with a OneKey recovery failure and I have not had any response to my first post.

Briefly, when Windows 10 was first launched and prior to trying it out, I used the OneKey recovery button to back up my laptop onto an external hard drive.  When I didn’t like Windows 10 I successfully restored everything to where it was by using the OneKey recovery button.  Because this worked I had no hesitation repeating the OneKey process earlier this year.  Sadly, when I pressed the Recovery button, after a few minutes the following message was displayed: “The program cannot restore the system partition because there is not enough available space on the hard drive”.

I tried Lenovo support and was told to take the laptop to PC World, which I did, however after three weeks of trying they failed to restore the laptop too.

The only difference between the first time I backed up and restored and the second time is that there is much more data stored.

Can anyone please help?  Because the recovery worked the first time and I was confident that it would work the second time I didn’t backup any data.  Everything is now locked on the external hard drive unless I can restore the laptop to the state when the back up was made.

Thanks

Moderator note: post merged with existing thread.  Thread moved to appropriate forum.

GeekPeek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 607
Message 3 of 20

Re: Lenovo Z500 Touch - The program cannot restore the system partition

Hi Bothy,

I hope you're doing well.

Although it is of great help to use OneKey Recovery software to perform a system recovery when something goes wrong with your computer, sometimes Lenovo OneKey Recovery doesn't work as you expect. The following are some common causes:

1. C drive has been changed, leading to losing the function of the recovery partition
  2. The recovery partition is deleted.
  3. The system has been reinstalled by means of a clean install.
  4. The hard disk where the recovery partition resides gets corrupted or damaged.

If something is done, Lenovo OneKey Recovery not working and you are unable to back up Windows and restore the system properly. 

Mod's Edit: Posting edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

Bothy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 596
Message 4 of 20

Hello and thanks for your reply... the first most encouraging I have had since this issue occurred!
I need to go out for the rest of the day so will check out the link to the "guide" and I'll then let you know how I get on.
In the mean time.... thanks once again
Kind regards,
Bothy.
GeekPeek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 595
Message 5 of 20

You're welcome, I hope that this info will help you. 

Please also keep me updated on this issue. Thank you!

Bothy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 568
Message 6 of 20

Hi GeekPeek,

Here’s the update I promised.

Under the heading “How to Fix Lenovo OneKey Recovery Not Working” the error messages read "The program cannot restore the system partition because its structure is incorrect. You may have to recreate the partition to continue” or "One Key Recovery partition has damaged, so do not launch the main application."  In my case the Restore program starts to work but after about a minute the error message that flags up is “The program cannot restore the system partition because there is not enough available space on the hard drive”.  Either way I have followed the instructions in method 1 and have found all in order.  Before this issue, to my knowledge, the original partitions etc were unchanged and as I said the system seems to be working but is flagging up a space issue.  This could be because when I first successfully used the Lenovo system the whole C: drive only had about 300Gb of data on it.  When I tried this time there was 829Gb data and the available free space on the C: drive was 855Gb giving 26Gb of surplus free space on the C drive.  Since PC World have had the laptop and tried to restore things I have noticed that the available space on the C: drive is now 881Gb giving 52Gb of free space.  Also when PC World tried to restore the laptop they even changed the 1Tb hard drive to a 2Tb hard drive, they then cloned everything onto the new larger hard drive but it still failed to restore.  Eventually they gave up, put my 1Tb hard disk back and returned the laptop to me. 

Searching through the internet I have found out how to recover data from a WSI file however it only applies to WSI files which were created using the Windows built in tools.  When I tried the same procedure with the Lenovo WSI file it would not work.  I subsequently discovered that the files are saved with different extensions!

I have also found some software which will read the contents of all the Lenovo backed up files but that is all it will do.  I can’t do anything with the gobbledygook it produces.

In the guide you referred me to I have read with interest the details of the MiniTool ShadowMaker and my next step will be to download and install this software and see if it can deal with the Lenovo WSI backup file.  It may be that MiniTool will also only backup and restore using their own system but it is worth a try.

I’ll keep you posted.

Kind regards,

GeekPeek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 558
Message 7 of 20

Thank you, I'd like to provide further help. 

Have a good day ahead!

Bothy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 547
Message 8 of 20

Hi again GeekPeek,

I have now downloaded and installed the MiniTool Shadowmaker and tried to do a restore with the Lenovo wsi file on the external hard drive but the software does not recognize the format.  I then made a backup of the laptop using MiniTool and this was read OK by MiniTool in the recovery mode.  I then checked the file extensions of the backup made by MiniTool and found that they are identical to the backups made by Windows built in tools so sad to say this has drawn a blank too.

At the moment I don’t really know what else I can do.

All the best

Bothy.

GeekPeek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 519
Message 9 of 20

Hi Bothy,

If you have backed up your laptop with MiniTool ShadowMaker, you need to manually add the backup to the Manage. The utility does not support WSI format.

And if it does not help. I'd like to advice you to try with a set of Recovery disks from Lenovo that will restore the whole hard drive back to the way you brought it. These disks are also very useful should you need to replace the hard drive. But that will cost you real money. Thanks!

Bothy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 509
Message 10 of 20

Hi GeekPeek,

I hope you are well and thanks once again for getting back to me.

Since my last post I have tried loading Acronis and use their program to restore the WSI file but with no success once again because Acronis does not support the Lenovo .wsi file.

I’m going to have another look at MiniTool ShadowMaker because I have to confess I didn’t do any backups.  All I did was download and install the software and then try to use it to restore the WSI file.  I’m not sure that backing up the laptop will help because the WSI file was originally “successfully backed up” onto an external hard drive and it is the restoration from here that the problem has arisen rather than the laptop itself?  I’m now going to open the online MiniTool ShadowMaker User Manual and explore all possibilities and I’ll let you know how I get on.

I believe that the OneKey Recovery function is fully functioning on the laptop because when everything went ‘pear shaped’ the laptop was restored back to the factory settings using Lenovo Recovery system and everything now works for smaller WSI files which I have made since then.  It would therefore appear to be a physical size issue.  I was reading a thread on another forum for Acronis where they said that their program may need up to about 20% of the hard drive in free space just for cashing data and running the program and if this is the case with my issue, I am well short of that with only about 5% free space!

In the mean time I will invest in the Lenovo Recovery disks to see if these will help with the recovery of the WSI to the existing 1Tb hard drive and if this fails I will then invest in a 2Tb hard drive and see if cloning onto this hard drive and then expanding the space for the c: drive will do the trick.

Thanks for your input – it is really kind of you to take the time and trouble to help and I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Bothy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors