cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SVJeff
Paper Tape
Views: 1,111
Message 1 of 5

Options for restoring Vista to IdeaPad Y430 (2781)

Yesterday, I received an IdeaPad Y430 (2781) from a friend who's downsizing prior to a relocation.  I've not had an IBM or Lenovo laptop since the Windows 2000 era, so I'm unfamiliar with these newer models.  Unfortulately, he blew away the original Vista installation, replacing it with Windows 7 and all I got was the laptop and power supply.  I need my own licensed OS but didn't know if this machine shipped with recovery/restoration media (that I could replace), or if there was a recovery partition (that's now gone), or what eactly.  Can anyone help with ideas or options for me?

Annother potential hiccup is that, on the Vista COA sticker on the bottom, one of the characters is almost rubbed off.  If I'm able to find some way to reinstall everything, how many product key guesses do I have before I lock it up?

Retired Partner
Views: 1,089
Message 2 of 5

Re: Options for restoring Vista to IdeaPad Y430 (2781)

Hello SVJeff

It seems you want to use pre-installed Operating System.

As mentioned by you the laptop have Windows Vista sticker and product key then the laptop came with pre-installed Windows Vista. You can share the laptop serial number with me via PM as I can share the correct Operating System detail with you.

You can purchase the recovery disc from the Lenovo service center if the recovery disc is lost or not created.

You can install your own Operating System on this laptop and download all system drivers from the mentioned below web link.

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/in/en/DriversDownLoads/APR_Driver_List.aspx?CategoryID=11&OS=0

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

SVJeff
Paper Tape
Views: 1,080
Message 3 of 5

OK, I was able to purchase a replacement set of restore DVDs.  Now, regarding my COA issue... Is Lenovo able to tell me the missing characters from the COA sticker on my laptop?

Retired Partner
Views: 1,077
Message 4 of 5

Hello SVJeff

While using the recovery disc it is not required to enter product key.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

stlouieblues
Punch Card
Views: 518
Message 5 of 5

I had the same thing happen to me, the Vista serial number rubbed off on me too.  There should be some way of getting our number or replacement.  Isn't there some program to allow us to enter the key to see if it's valid?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors