Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goscottgo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,253
Message 9 of 163

Ordered Windows 7, got Vista.

I finally got my Y550.  Shipping took 4 days instead of 2 even though I purchased 2 day shipping. That's a different story.

Unfortunately Vista Home Premium is installed instead of Windows 7.  I even have a Windows 7 product key sticker on the back and a Windows 7 sticker on the palmrest.  I called tech support and they had me do a onekey recovery which didn't work either.  The referred me to the post sales deparment.  Anyone else order 7 and get Vista?  What are my options?

Note from Moderator:  Please don't post the same message in multiple boards/threads as it splinters the discussion.  Duplicate(s) removed.

moofactor
Punch Card
Views: 2,557
Message 1 of 163

Re: IdeaPad Shipping / Order discussion

After placing an order for a Y550 on October 28, I finally received it today (November 16). I ordered the laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium, but the laptop arrived with Windows Vista installed. There's a Windows 7 license sticker on the bottom of the laptop, and I confirmed on my invoice that Windows 7 is what I ordered. 

I called tech support and explained the problem. The technician I spoke to understood the problem and directed me to the sales department. I spoke to someone in sales, and she explained that my options were:

a) ship the laptop back to Lenovo so that they can install Windows 7 and then ship the laptop back to me

b) return the laptop for a full refund

c) request a Windows 7 upgrade disc on the Lenovo site.

Since I've already waited long enough, I don't want to ship the laptop back to Lenovo to have the OS upgraded. I've got several trips coming up and absolutely need to have a laptop with me at those times. I don't want to return the laptop, either, so the most sensible option is to request the "free" Windows 7 upgrade. The problem with that is that it costs $17.03 to have the disc mailed to me. 

I'm pretty dissatisfied. Since I explicitly chose Windows 7 when I was ordering the laptop, I don't think I should have to pay any extra to actually receive the OS I thought I was getting. I asked the person in sales if she could waive the shipping fee for the upgrade disc, but she said that she wasn't able to because a third-party vendor handles the upgrade disc shipping process. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to pay the $17.03 for the upgrade disc. I won't be doing business with Lenovo in the future.

Ceromus2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,282
Message 2 of 163

Multiple reports on the slickdeal forums saying their Y550 laptops are coming in with Windows Vista installed.  NOT Windows 7 as advertised.

Ceromus2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,406
Message 3 of 163

@moofactor wrote:

After placing an order for a Y550 on October 28, I finally received it today (November 16). I ordered the laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium, but the laptop arrived with Windows Vista installed. There's a Windows 7 license sticker on the bottom of the laptop, and I confirmed on my invoice that Windows 7 is what I ordered. 

I called tech support and explained the problem. The technician I spoke to understood the problem and directed me to the sales department. I spoke to someone in sales, and she explained that my options were:

a) ship the laptop back to Lenovo so that they can install Windows 7 and then ship the laptop back to me

b) return the laptop for a full refund

c) request a Windows 7 upgrade disc on the Lenovo site.

Since I've already waited long enough, I don't want to ship the laptop back to Lenovo to have the OS upgraded. I've got several trips coming up and absolutely need to have a laptop with me at those times. I don't want to return the laptop, either, so the most sensible option is to request the "free" Windows 7 upgrade. The problem with that is that it costs $17.03 to have the disc mailed to me. 

I'm pretty dissatisfied. Since I explicitly chose Windows 7 when I was ordering the laptop, I don't think I should have to pay any extra to actually receive the OS I thought I was getting. I asked the person in sales if she could waive the shipping fee for the upgrade disc, but she said that she wasn't able to because a third-party vendor handles the upgrade disc shipping process. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to pay the $17.03 for the upgrade disc. I won't be doing business with Lenovo in the future.

Could you provide more details on that license sticker?  What does it say?  Obviously dont post your license key.   I assume the windows 7 license key is on there right?  I wonder if the key only works for upgrades or if you can just get anyone windows 7 home dvd and use that?

moofactor
Punch Card
Views: 2,404
Message 4 of 163

@Ceromus2 wrote:

Could you provide more details on that license sticker?  What does it say?  Obviously dont post your license key.   I assume the windows 7 license key is on there right?  I wonder if the key only works for upgrades or if you can just get anyone windows 7 home dvd and use that?

The license sticker says:

"Windows 7 Home Prem OA

Lenovo"

There are two bar codes underneath that, and then the product key.

Also, there's a Windows 7 logo sticker next to the IdeaPad logo on the bottom-right corner of the laptop.

Ceromus2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,399
Message 5 of 163

thanks, wonder what OA stands for

Edit:  Im confused, surely that key on the bottom of laptop is not an upgrade key?  So would u be paying 17 dollars for a windows 7 upgrade disc with new key?

jb-43
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,354
Message 6 of 163

Un-fricken believable!! My Y550 ordered Oct. 30 just arrived with Vista on it as well.

Like others, I am ordering a new laptop specifically for Windows 7.

I hope they offer me the full refund as well; the whole Lenovo ordeal leaves me feeling dirty.

And Vista locked on creating a user, on the very first boot. LOL

Former Administrator
Views: 2,485
Message 7 of 163

Ceromus2,

That's correct - a charge hold is placed when the order goes passes credit check when placed to ensure the card is valid and their is available credit to cover the transaction.  The hold drops off in several days to a week or so depending on the particular bank.  We don't actually charge until it ships.

Moofactor,

Can you send me a private message with your order number?   I'd like to look into this.  My understanding was that these systems should either have a Win 7 image, or a Vista image, but the Win 7 upgrade disks in the box.

Thanks for letting us know so we can check into this...

Mark

Ceromus2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,466
Message 8 of 163

@Mark_Lenovo wrote:

Ceromus2,

That's correct - a charge hold is placed when the order goes passes credit check when placed to ensure the card is valid and their is available credit to cover the transaction.  The hold drops off in several days to a week or so depending on the particular bank.  We don't actually charge until it ships.

Moofactor,

Can you send me a private message with your order number?   I'd like to look into this.  My understanding was that these systems should either have a Win 7 image, or a Vista image, but the Win 7 upgrade disks in the box.

Thanks for letting us know so we can check into this...

Mark

Just FYI,  no posts have been made that their laptop had windows7 or windows7 install disc.   All posts i have seen say windows vista with no windows7 disc.  (from slickdeals forum)

Edit: Please do not redirect the packages back.  I can handle the install of windows 7 since license key is on the laptop.   Also thank you for the free windows vista key that I will no doubt extract from the installation Smiley Wink

6thSense
Punch Card
Views: 4,238
Message 10 of 163

Re: Ordered Windows 7, got Vista. Tech Support unable to fix. Now what?

Your Options?

Simple:  

Option #1:

You call Lenovo and tell them they sent you the wrong product and it needs to be replaced . Take a photo of the screen and stickers and email it to them.

6thSense

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors