Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired Guru
Views: 1,859
Message 91 of 163

Re: Ordered Windows 7, got Vista.

@tsakhan wrote:

there is a way to get the Product Key provided by lenovo to work but it would be considered "illegal" 

It's actually not illegal. It's the easiest solution for backing up and restoring OEM activation from a preinstalled Windows Vista and/or Windows 7 operating system. It's documented in many clean install tutorials on many forums.

The simplified steps are as follows.

Download the ABR utility.

Use that utility to backup the activation certificate and Windows product key [works with Vista and 7].

Install the OS and appropriate drivers.

Restore the activation certificate and Windows product key.

Verify that your clean Windows installation has been activated.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
mrredskin
Paper Tape
Views: 1,821
Message 92 of 163

Boy, Lenovo, you really screwed up on this one.

Obviously your QC department is shambles.  It took two weeks to ship these out, why, exactly??  Obviously none of ours were "made to order".  You grabbed them off the warehouse pallets and it just took two weeks because of a backlog of orders.  All of these laptops with Vista and not Win 7???  Unreal.  Not only did this happen to hundreds and hundreds of customers, but you also didn't transfer my purchase over to my other CC that I requested, ONE DAY after I ordered.  I'll wait to hear what happens Monday, but I'm 99% sure this crap is going back.

nanobeast
Punch Card
Views: 1,713
Message 93 of 163

I have a Win 7 Pro DVD. Will the serial key # on the bottom of the laptop (Win 7 home premium) work with a Win 7 pro install?

Former Administrator
Views: 1,689
Message 94 of 163

fp78,

The information on the system reflects the default warranty term - it's a stock label.   The date code is as JaneL suggests.  Keep in mind that these systems didn't exist in '07. ( Intel hadn't even released these CPUs - these are Montevinas )

If you have purchased extended warranties, it can take about 10 days for the additional time or services (like accidental damage, etc) to be reflected in the online look up.   This happens because when the system ships, the serial number and warranty upgrade P/N are passed to an activation team that updates the database.  

tsakhan,

With regard to comments on restocking fees - the rep may just not have been aware of the situation on these.  I don't believe the 15% applies in your case - I would expect it to be waived.

Apologies for the answer you received.

jcmorrill
Paper Tape
Views: 1,649
Message 95 of 163

Mark-

Thanks for the update. The date format didn't cross my mind as I was so mad about the Vista load my eyes were crossed. I am really looking forward to seeing how Lenovo gets this situation resolved. Quickly, I hope!

tsakhan
Punch Card
Views: 1,616
Message 96 of 163

Mark 

I just reformatted the whole HD and installed Windows 7 using a different Key. I think Lenovo should offer some type of credit for the headache caused by this fiasco. If this was the "Lenovo Experience" No thank you i will not be doing business with them again.  

nanobeast
Punch Card
Views: 1,575
Message 97 of 163

@tsakhan wrote:

Mark 

I just reformatted the whole HD and installed Windows 7 using a different Key. I think Lenovo should offer some type of credit for the headache caused by this fiasco. If this was the "Lenovo Experience" No thank you i will not be doing business with them again.  

tsakhan,

How did you format the entire HD?  Can you please give me some guidelines?  Thanks

tsakhan
Punch Card
Views: 1,723
Message 98 of 163

I took my Windows 7 CD (NOT Provided by Lenovo) inserted it.  Restart Comp Hit F12 Select boot option CD / DVD drive.

Booted Off the CD and then Reformatted everything including the 30GB Partition that Lenovo created. For some reason the Key on the back of the laptop didn't work for me so i got another Key (Again No thanks to Lenovo). 

There is a software out there called "paragon Partition" that will allow you to delete the Partition created by lenovo. 

However I believe using my method also deletes files required for the "One Key Recovery" 

LOL its funny how Most users on this Forum are more helpful then Lenovo's Customer Support Team.  

bdelio
Punch Card
Views: 1,749
Message 99 of 163

Well you can add one more unsatisfied customer to your list.

Mark, I appreciate you keeping us up to date on this.  I am sure you realize what a huge deal this is with the holiday's coming up.  I work at a local financial institution in our IT department.  We purchase many Thinkpads for use and have been relatively satisfied with them.  Which is the reason I decided to purchase the ideapad.  I am sure we'll think twice about purchasing future products from Lenovo.

Jay666
Core Memory
Views: 1,743
Message 100 of 163

My Laptop arrived today and yes ooooh darn Vista! when I had ordered Windows 7. I am really so sad and depressed. I had so much faith on Lenovo and I feel cheated. I don't know what to do.. I hope Mark helps us..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors