cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moofactor
Punch Card
Views: 3,917
Message 11 of 163

Re: Ordered Windows 7, got Vista. Tech Support unable to fix. Now what?

The same exact thing happened to me. Here's what I posted over in the "IdeaPad Shipping / Order discussion" thread:

After placing an order for a Y550 on October 28, I finally received it today (November 16). I ordered the laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium, but the laptop arrived with Windows Vista installed. There's a Windows 7 license sticker on the bottom of the laptop, and I confirmed on my invoice that Windows 7 is what I ordered. 

I called tech support and explained the problem. The technician I spoke to understood the problem and directed me to the sales department. I spoke to someone in sales, and she explained that my options were:

a) ship the laptop back to Lenovo so that they can install Windows 7 and then ship the laptop back to me

b) return the laptop for a full refund

c) request a Windows 7 upgrade disc on the Lenovo site.

Since I've already waited long enough, I don't want to ship the laptop back to Lenovo to have the OS upgraded. I've got several trips coming up and absolutely need to have a laptop with me at those times. I don't want to return the laptop, either, so the most sensible option is to request the "free" Windows 7 upgrade. The problem with that is that it costs $17.03 to have the disc mailed to me. 

I'm pretty dissatisfied. Since I explicitly chose Windows 7 when I was ordering the laptop, I don't think I should have to pay any extra to actually receive the OS I thought I was getting. I asked the person in sales if she could waive the shipping fee for the upgrade disc, but she said that she wasn't able to because a third-party vendor handles the upgrade disc shipping process. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to pay the $17.03 for the upgrade disc. I won't be doing business with Lenovo in the future.

The administrator, Mark_Lenovo, responded to my post and asked me to get him my order number so that he can look into it. When I hear back from him I'll let you know what he said.

goscottgo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,913
Message 12 of 163

Thanks man. The experience has left a bad taste in my mouth as well.  It makes no sense for us to pay $17 for Lenovo's mistake.  And just when I thought that would be the extent of my problems,  the Y550 doesn't hold an internet connection. It connects for 5-10 seconds, then drops, reconnects, and repeats the process. I made several adjustments but to no avail.  I am sure that is something that can be remedied, but I am not sure I want to go through the hassle of getting the correct OS, to then go through the hassle of getting a stable internet connection.  I was expecting to get the laptop I ordered yet I got something totally different.

gregw1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,867
Message 13 of 163

Same story here on my Y550 today.

Ordered 2-day shipping, arrived 5 calendar days (3 business days) after shipping confirmation.

Ordered Win7 and got Vista.

What a bad first impression...totally unacceptable.

quester
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,017
Message 14 of 163

Re: IdeaPad Shipping / Order discussion

Hi Mark,

I, too, can confirm that I received my shipment of a Y550 today which should have shipped with Windows 7 but came with Vista and no update discs.  I have sent you a separate PM with my order #.

0A20861   VBB GENWIN7HOMEPREM64BIT

Quester

pnsathyan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,989
Message 15 of 163

Hi Mark,

i too have the same problem. I have sent a PM to you as well.

Thanks,

Satya

quester
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,943
Message 16 of 163

Very bad news about the Windows enhanced experience!  I hope you are very wrong.  I purchased my machine based on that sale/ad.

BTW, I only get a "403" on your web link.

Quester

jb-43
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,815
Message 17 of 163

Please be advised if you are considering paying for Windows 7 a second time and loading it yourself you will not receive the full Enhanced Experience; see Lenovo Community>Special Events>Windows 7 launch and read the "Bought  with Vista, Free upgrade to Win7" thread and video on page 1.

The full EE only comes with a factory image, which can only be applied at the factory. After waiting 3 weeks for this to arrive initially, I don't want to ship it back for them to fix as I fear I would not see it until next year.

Note from Moderator:  Please don't post the same message in multiple boards/threads as it splinters the discussion.  Duplicate(s) removed.

goscottgo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,801
Message 18 of 163

Shipping mine back for a full refund.  Thankfully shipping is paid for.  But Lenovo really dropped the ball on this one.  They lost a current and future customer, and I suspect those thinking about buying from Lenovo and come across this thread will think twice, as  they should.  Being told we have to pay for the Win7 updgrade cd when they made the mistake of not installing it on our laptops is a slap in the face. 

jar66su
Punch Card
Views: 3,768
Message 19 of 163

Has anyone actually received theirs w/ Win7 installed? If we have to pay an additional fee and/or send the laptop back all hell is going to break loose. 

therockey123
Paper Tape
Views: 3,732
Message 20 of 163

he he, i got mine yesterday. Vista installed instead of Win7.

i will also give it a shot calling lenovo support.

meanwhile, if anybody got the resolution, please post here.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors