Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ccd8
Paper Tape
Views: 2,035
Message 1 of 12

P400 Touch - swipe gestures (on touch screen) stopped working

My Ideapad P400 Touch with Windows 8 is no longer responding to right side swipe (charms bar gesture).  All other touch screen functions and gestures still work normally, including the left side swipe to switch apps.  The screen still displays the 'touch feedback' dots when I attempt the gesture but no charms bar appears!

I've tried recalibrating as well as removing calibration of touch screen, and tried various other troubleshooting procedures I found on this site, like uninstalling recent updates, etc... Finally I tried running Windows 8 PC refresh, which worked as it's supposed to so I got to reinstall all my software but didn't fix the missing charms bar!

Has anyone had a similar problem with the touch screen right-side swipe and been able to fix it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks!

cait

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,031
Message 2 of 12

Re: P400 Touch - swipe gestures (on touch screen) stopped working

@ccd8 wrote:

My Ideapad P400 Touch with Windows 8 is no longer responding to right side swipe (charms bar gesture).  All other touch screen functions and gestures still work normally, including the left side swipe to switch apps.  The screen still displays the 'touch feedback' dots when I attempt the gesture but no charms bar appears!

I've tried recalibrating as well as removing calibration of touch screen, and tried various other troubleshooting procedures I found on this site, like uninstalling recent updates, etc... Finally I tried running Windows 8 PC refresh, which worked as it's supposed to so I got to reinstall all my software but didn't fix the missing charms bar!

Has anyone had a similar problem with the touch screen right-side swipe and been able to fix it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks!

cait

If you use an external mouse and move the pointer to the right will the charms bar appear?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,012
Message 3 of 12

hi ccd8,

Welcome to the Forums.

In addition to LenBlazer's query, able you able to open the charms bar via the hotkey Win+C? If it works, see Option 1 of this guide to enable the charm's hint hot corners and observe.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

ccd8
Paper Tape
Views: 1,998
Message 4 of 12

Yes, the charms bar hot corner still works fine with the touch pad as well as with an external mouse, as does the Windows key keyboard shortcut. I would still like to be able to use the touch screen swipe though! Thanks so much for any help in advance!
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,988
Message 5 of 12

@ccd8 wrote:
Yes, the charms bar hot corner still works fine with the touch pad as well as with an external mouse, as does the Windows key keyboard shortcut. I would still like to be able to use the touch screen swipe though! Thanks so much for any help in advance!

You might want to have a look at this thread. In another thread the advice is to do twice what that link advices.

ccd8
Paper Tape
Views: 1,965
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for the potential solution! I actually had found that setting fix in a similar thread though and probably just didn't make it clear in my original post that I had already  tried uncalibrating the touch screen.  Just for good measure though, this morning I tried recalibrating it (it was uncalibrated) and decalibrating again, still no luck though!

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,952
Message 7 of 12

@ccd8 wrote:

Thanks for the potential solution! I actually had found that setting fix in a similar thread though and probably just didn't make it clear in my original post that I had already  tried uncalibrating the touch screen.  Just for good measure though, this morning I tried recalibrating it (it was uncalibrated) and decalibrating again, still no luck though!

Try checking the integrity of the system files by running in command prompt with administrator rights, sfc /scannow.

If it returns with no errors then perhaps running okr and restoring the system to factory default might solve the problem. Just be sure to backup your personal data.

ccd8
Paper Tape
Views: 1,913
Message 8 of 12

Tried sfc/scannow and do have an error! I don't know if it's related because I'm not familiar with CBS logs and the like.  Hopefully I posted the image of the error message properly, and maybe someone can tell me where to go from here!

Thanks so much

Cait

Screen Capture of sfc/scannow error

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,905
Message 9 of 12

@ccd8 wrote:

Tried sfc/scannow and do have an error! I don't know if it's related because I'm not familiar with CBS logs and the like.  Hopefully I posted the image of the error message properly, and maybe someone can tell me where to go from here!

Thanks so much

Cait

Screen Capture of sfc/scannow error

Try this to fix the corrupt files:

1. Run command prompt with administrator rights.

2. At the prompt type the following without the quotation mark: "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

3. Wait for the prompt to appear. It may take from 15 to an hour to make the corrections. So be patient.

4. After the prompt see if the program is successful in making the repair.

5. If the repair is successful, recheck by running again sfc /scannow. You may have to run sfc /scannow several times until you get no more errors.

ccd8
Paper Tape
Views: 1,883
Message 10 of 12

Thanks so much!

Repair was successful and sfc/scannow runs without errors.  Still no change for the swipe gestures though.  Is it possible that this is an error with the screen?  Though I'd hate to take it in because it's never a good time to be without one's computer for 3 to 4 weeks, I do have the Best Buy black tie protection on the hardware-plus it's still under waranty through Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors