Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
impi-zulu
Paper Tape
Views: 6,009
Message 11 of 46

Re: P500 Brghtness

To clarify:

While on battery my P500 screen dimmed to about 50% brightness. I tried all Win8 settings and the Intel HD4000 properties screen, checked drivers and all Win8 updates and the brightness buttons etc. Boot screen is also at 50% brightness. HELP!!!

Thanks!

bigfeelinz
What's DOS?
Views: 5,965
Message 12 of 46

I have the same issue with screen, running Windows 8 (64bit).  Can't find any solution.  Anyone got ideas?  Thanks!

Remadon
Paper Tape
Views: 5,957
Message 13 of 46

Hello Everyone!

I'd just like to start by saying this error was casued by a Driver Update downloaded by Windows Update for the Intel HD Graphics 4000. The new update causes Windows  to fail to control the backlight.

Symtoms:

- Pressing the Brightness keys ether does not change the display brightness, or causes the display to go to minimum brightness at all times.

How to Fix:

Hit the Start Button + R on your keyboard, this will open the "Run" Box. In the Run Box you should type devmgmt.msc     This will directly open the device manager.

(It must be spelled EXACTLY this way, and you must type the .msc to open this window. Alternatively, you may find the Device Manager via Administrative Tools > Computer Management in the Control Panel after selecting View > Large/Small Icons from the dropdown list in the top right corner.)

This will open the Windows Device Manager, Once the Window is loaded and the devices appear, double click "Display Adapters" Then right-click "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000", Click Properties from the dropdown list.

Once in the Properties window click the Driver Tab, Then click on the "Roll Back Driver" button. If you are prompted if you want to install the previous version of the drivers, Select "Yes" Windows will Install the older (and in this case, working) driver and reboot, or prompt you to reboot, depending on your settings.

Please Note the following before attempting the above instructions;

- YOU MUST Have Administrative Privilages to use the Device Manager

- DO NOT Confuse "Roll Back Driver" and "Uninstall". Uninstalling The Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 Driver May cause failure to display graphics at all, or the standard VGA driver will load and you will have sub-optimal video graphics until you install the proper driver.

- DO NOT Uninstall or Rollback any other drivers, they are unrelated to this guide and may casue system unstability and loss of functionality of devices.

Alternatively, You may find the old drivers in your backup partition, Usually Labbed "Lenovo (D)", in my case this partition was lost when I installed a faster RPM drive to my machine.

Hope this information helps anyone who is experiancing these backlight issues.

Cheers and Good Luck!

impi-zulu
Paper Tape
Views: 5,942
Message 14 of 46

Thanks. However I do not have the option to RollBack driver on the HD4000, After installing the updated driver (9.17.10.2875) the rollback option is gone. (Grayed out)

If Intel or Lenovo can't post a solution before 12-15-12 I will just return the machine to Best Buy as its still in the 30 day return period...Sad 'cause I like the P500 otherwise and have been a Lenovo fan for many years.

Remadon
Paper Tape
Views: 5,922
Message 15 of 46

Strange. My version is 9.17.10.2817.

Try opening Windows Update, On the Bottom left under "See Also" open Installed Updates.

If You see Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
on the list of Installed Updates, then right click and Uninstall it. After uninstalling that you should make Windows check for updates again, then If you find that update under the "Optional" Updates, you should right click on it and select "Hide Update". This will prevent Windows from installing that driver again though Windows Update.

impi-zulu
Paper Tape
Views: 5,910
Message 16 of 46

Thanks for the quick reply!

I updated the driver from the Intel site: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics

No other driver seems available from Intel for my machine. 9.17.10.2817 doen't seem to be available any longer.

Speccy reports:

Graphics
        Monitor
            Name    Generic PnP Monitor on Intel HD Graphics 4000
            Current Resolution    1366x768 pixels
            Work Resolution    1366x728 pixels
            State    enabled, primary
            Monitor Width    1366
            Monitor Height    768
            Monitor BPP    32 bits per pixel
            Monitor Frequency    60 Hz
            Device    \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
        Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
            Driver version    9.17.10.2875
        OpenGL
            Version    4.0.0 - Build 9.17.10.2875
            Vendor    Intel
            Renderer    Intel HD Graphics 4000
            GLU Version    1.2.2.0 Microsoft Corporation
                Values
                    GL_MAX_LIGHTS    8
                    GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE    8192
                    GL_MAX_TEXTURE_STACK_DEPTH    10
                GL Extensions

The Windows Update page does not list any graphics adapter update. (I ran Windows Update manually, yesterday)

The roll back driver option in HD4000 properties is still grayed out.

I ran virus scans, all Windows and Lenovo brightness setting adjustments plus Energy Management and No Joy.

Additionally, on another subject, the battery is shown as "Pluggedin, not charging" LOL

Getting a bit frustrated at this point. Smiley Happy

impi-zulu
Paper Tape
Views: 5,882
Message 17 of 46

Re: P500 Brightness

I at least solved the "plugged in, not charging" message. I removed Lenovo Energy Management.

Screen still dim however. I found driver 2770 but it would not install.

impi-zulu
Paper Tape
Views: 5,868
Message 18 of 46

Re: P500 Brightness

OK, I return the machine to factory settings and the screen is back to full brightness.

Now I get to spend hours reloading my backups and tweaks,,,LOL Smiley Sad

theexec01
What's DOS?
Views: 5,855
Message 19 of 46

You could just go to your display settings in the control panel and roll back the display drivers. No need to install or do anything else.

impi-zulu
Paper Tape
Views: 5,839
Message 20 of 46

Thanks, that idea was addressed earlier in this thread. "The roll back driver option in HD4000 properties is still grayed out."

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors