Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EtC_X
Fanfold Paper
Views: 641
Message 1 of 5

Palmrest opening and question about mSATA port z500

Hi

first thing does anyone know how to open the palmrest area for z500 ? and am i gonna need to disassemble many parts in order to disassemble the palmrest area ? 

I mean I saw many videos about disassembling it , but none of them showed how to open the palmrest area and how to replace it ..

seondly .. does all of z500 models have msata port inside ?

Thanks

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 624
Message 2 of 5

Re: Palmrest opening and question about mSATA port z500

The palmrest should be accessible after removing the mb. The hmm did not provide enough info on how to access and open it. But hopefully those videos should give you enough ideas on how to do it.

In my unit the msata connector is missing so I'm not sure if yours has it. See picture below.

No msata Z500.JPG

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 609
Message 3 of 5

EtC_X, what exactly are you planning to do with the palm rest ? Replace it or repair a crack ?

In order to access the palm rest will require you to completely disassemble the laptop.  Unlike other laptops which have the components assembled in the base, your model has all the components assembled in the upper palm rest.  If you haven't watched the Lenovo Training Video on disassembling your model, here is the link to that video. The section you would be interested in is under the FPU Videos topic......

http://service.lenovo.partner-management.com/content/CourseWarePublic/18359/player.html

Here is a link to one seller who is offering a palm rest for your model.  The photos will give you an idea of what a disassembled palm rest will look like although they still have some parts attached.  Even fully disassembled there will still be metal shielding still attached to the palm rest.......

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/lenovo-ideapad-z500-p500-touchpad-palmrest/723656_1865169266...

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

EtC_X
Fanfold Paper
Views: 593
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for the replies

I want to open the palmrest because I have a dent on it .. i thought if it was easy enough to open it I would try to pop it out from the other side

but it seems very hard to do that , and it doesn't deserve all of that work for just a dent

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 582
Message 5 of 5

EtC_X, you will definitely have a lot of work involved if you under take that project.  Even when it was disassembled the dent would have to be in an open area or an area that is only covered by metal shielding on the inside for the removal to be successful.  Then there is other possibility where over working the dent now becomes a bump and/or a big bump of the surrounding area.  If the dent isn't causing problems and your not comfortable doing it, it is best left alone.   

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors