cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leijonasisu
Serial Port
Views: 1,889
Message 1 of 9

Please help me shut this Y510p's fan up....

This Y510p is about the most frustrating laptop I have ever owned.

When it isn't throttling due to being too hot, and therefore performing very badly within games. It is running the fan at 100% pretty much always, even whilst idling. I'll be sitting on my bed (laptop on the desk) and it will just start ramping the fan up and down.

This is the most infuriating and inconsistent laptop I have ever owned in my life...

Some details about my Y510p:

1. I have an unlocked BIOS.

2. I have the SLI version. (2x GT 755M)

3. I have done this cooling mod

4. I have repasted the CPU AND first GPU with Arctic Cooling Silver 5. (Expensive cooling paste)

5. My laptop is only 9 months old. It still has 2 years and 3 months warranty left.

6. I mount the laptop about 2 inches off my table to allow for more passive airflow under the laptop.

7. I am at my wits end with this thing and I refuse to have to spend more money on this laptop. It already cost €1200.

8. I will bump this thread until the end of time until someone here can help me out with this issue.

My normal temps from CPU are an average of: 60°C which I feel is so ridiculously high.

Room temp on average is 29.35°C

Doing anything on my laptop. Typing, opening up a browser window. ANYTHING causes the fan to immediately ramp up and make more of a whining noise

Guys, Lenovo. I am so sick of this noise, it is driving me crazy. If I am playing a game, I don't care so much. I will use my expensive headphones. But when I am studying, I want peace and quiet. When I am reading for exams or something, I want my room to be SILENT. I don't want this whining in my ears all the time. I knew this laptop would make noise when I am gaming. But when I am not gaming I WANT PEACE AND QUIET!! I don't want to have to listen to music, which distracts me...

So what can I do about this?

In the thermal settings page on the BIOS It doesn't matter WHAT options I set. I cannot control this f#$k/ng fan. If I set the policy to manual. The fan speed to 100% and the min temp to change that fan speed at 30°C nothing changes! This fan just does what ever the hell it wants to! Even if the temperature is minimum 60°C (so it should be running the fan at 100% all the time). It doesn't do anything. If I disable the fan speeds completely. The fan doesn't just shut down and do nothing. No matter what combination of these settings, it makes no difference what-so-ever. It seems that half of the BIOS settings, even though I can see them and change them. They don't actually even change!

<picture>

Guys I am really, really REALLY so sick of this. When I turn my laptop off my friends are like "Wow.. can you hear that.. it's actually quiet now, it feels so different without that constant buzzing!"... Ughh this is so frustrating. Is there no way to shut this thing up, except for smashing it or keeping it turned off forever? I have so many problems with this laptop and it's such a pain to use and it seems that I have no freedom to change what I want on it (c'mon locked BIOS in the first place)?

Lenovo, how can I reccomend you to anyone if this the stuff that you make and sell to your buyers?!

Apart from selling this thing, because apart from the noise, and the terrible trackpad and the sharp corners and a million other things. It is exactly what I wanted (and I don't have the money to get a new computer at this time). Is there ANYTHING I can do to seriously shut this thing up? Why isn't there just a 'silent' option and a 'performance' option and why can't I just swap between those?

Leijonasisu
Serial Port
Views: 1,885
Message 2 of 9

Re: Please help me shut this Y510p's fan up....

Wow.. you don't seem to be able to edit your posts here. Talk about stupid.

Anyway here are the 2 pictures of my BIOS thermal settings:

Link to picture/image

Link to picture/image

Like I said. I am going to bump this post forever, until my issue is resolved. Us poor Y510P users shouldn't have to suffer with so many issues to our laptops. I won't stand for staff members people passing this thread and ignoring the genuine faults that we have with our laptops.

I want some genuine progress on shutting this laptop up. Even when the fan is spinning really slow it still somehow emits the most annoying, high pitched sound ever. I have many friends with different laptops (Not Lenovo ones) and their fans are much quieter, if not completely slient. All you can hear is the movement of air, there is no 'whining' noise coming from the fan itself.

Mod comment: Over sized pictures converted to links.

Guru
Views: 1,876
Message 3 of 9

That is one sad problem bro and I really feel for you.

I hope you get a fix for this and I do genuinely think that you got a lemon in terms of the fan noise. You seem like an advanced user and it seems highly unlikely that anyone can advise you better.

The only thing is your room temp is high. Why not try to bring your room temp down, that way the CPU will run at 45 celsius, thats how my Y510p runs.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Leijonasisu
Serial Port
Views: 1,850
Message 4 of 9

My room temp was wrong. I didn't realise that my temperature gauge was in the sun... My room-temp is actually currently 23.52°C. Stupid mistake but whatever.

I bought a cooler today. Against my better judgment. It doesn't really seem to make any difference to the temperature. But it does add 30dB of noise on top of the already high amount of CPU fan noise.
Guru
Views: 1,844
Message 5 of 9

At 23 degrees, a good laptop cooler should make some difference. You have the cooling mod as well.

From my experience, my normal CPU temps are 45-50.

Gaming CPU 75-80 GPU at 80 (med/high graphics most games 40-60 fps)

My setup -

1) Using y510p as a desktop connected to TV via HDMI

2) Using CoolerMaster X2

3) Sitting about 6 feet away from laptop with wireless keyboard and mouse.

4) Sound is still less (than your system) and so far away I cant even hear it.

5) No other mod to the laptop.

6) I use other laptop/tablet for work.

Sometimes, I have tried to open up the back cover and removed the air filter mesh (Doesnt help the temps a lot)

I have just sent in feedback to lenovo about poor coolint design and that they should probably take more care. Hopefully we can have something better (with the same price) in the future.

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Guru
Views: 1,841
Message 6 of 9

You can try downloading the IdeaFan mod and see if it has any setting to control your fan.

Leijonasisu
Serial Port
Views: 1,835
Message 7 of 9

ccc.png

Here's my ambient temps with 1 browser window open. CPU isn't even runing max multiplier (34x). Power mode is on Balanced. Which means it changes the multiplier depending on what I am doing. Usually hangs around 15 unless I open up a program or two after which it hits max. Pics show the temps after my laptop sat for 5 minutes doing nothing.

As you can see my maximums are displayed there too. The temps are bullcrap in my opinion. Those lowest temps are when the laptop booted up. (Realtemp is set to open at start-up). They stayed that way for about 2 minute before entering the mid 40s followed by settling in the mid 50s.

IdeaFan (which I already have) is useless for me. All it does is force the 'Dust Removal' process to run continuously. It makes the fan louder.. Not quieter. I don't know what you mean in how this can make my laptop quieter, unless there is some mod that I can use to shut the fan up with it.

Temps aren't anything better than 1-2C lower than they used to be with this cooler. I don't think the unshrouding cooling mod has made any difference really. Neither has repasting the CPU and GPU. Like I said, there's just the added 30dB difference. In addition to that unfortunately this Notepal U2's frame is so flimsy that typing anything more than 'really softly' causes the screen to shake and vibrate, which is really distracting.

The second GPUs fan is really quite quiet. Even whilst playing games, it's NEVER as loud as the other fan. I wish there was some way I could swap them. I don't want to butcher this laptop just to shut this fan up. But I was thinking of somehow removing this annoying fan and replacing it with another one.

Currently though I am really not liking my options.

Guru
Views: 1,830
Message 8 of 9

The  thing is that you have already applied so many mods to this laptop that it is hard to decipher where the fault could be.

In factory condition, you could have applied for a warranty repair or replacement. If it was performing poorly when you bought it, I would think that the recommended action would be to contact the manufacturer (not saying that you didn't) and get this thing repaired or replaced.

You seem to be pretty skilled and I have no doubt that every mod which you did was precise. However, do you think that one of those mods could have triggered the fan behavior?

Could the high temps be because of tampering with the laptop body? (Every laptop has a specific air flow design and if you tamper too much it can hamper the company intended design)

Have you considered contacting lenovo for a replacement?

EDIT -

Also, have you ever done a factory reset to make sure that this is not some software or OS issue. (which forces the high fan usage).

Are you windows auto updates ON?

Have you tried monitoring Task Manager when temps are high? (for resource hoggin processes)

BLOODLUSTT
What's DOS?
Views: 487
Message 9 of 9

I get normal fan speeds and temps using notebook fan control (I use a Lenovo yoga 720 13)

I have another problem where the fans make the most obnoxious sound on the planet, going REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE every time i boot something up. It is the most horrible sound and I honestly want a refund, maybe get a dell or Asus laptop which probably won't have my banshee fans, but i gotta stick with this horrible thing for all of high school. Lenovo please fix my laptop and i will love it, the only thing stopping it is the fans...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors