Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Super PM Chat

The Future of Windows Tablets

Join the conversation and share your feedback with the Lenovo Product team
Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

Possible failing hard drive? Z560 - Seagate ST9500325AS

[ Edited ]

I just need some advice or opinions on this issue I may be having.  Ever since I first got my Z560 in the mail a month or so ago, finished updating and installing everything I want, I've heard this intermittent quiet noise that I can only expect is the hard drive.  Its not really loud, but just loud enough to be heard when the room is really quiet.  It varies a bit, but is typically a little short buzz or a subtle whining sound.  It usually happens quite regularly though, every few seconds to several seconds, never more than 30 seconds between noises.

I ran GSmartControl, which tells me I have an increasing number of Reallocation Events.  It literally increases every day.  I got the DOS version of SeaTools, ran the Long Test and it reallocated several sectors.  The noises still persist, and the Reallocation Events keep increasing.  I am well over 400 now.  The Reallocated Sector count is at 78, which has remained constant since I used SeaTools weeks ago.

Where I am stuck is that SMART has not reported a failure yet, and the only thing giving me warnings about events is the unofficial GSmartControl application, not SeaTools.  However, as I previously stated, SeaTools did reallocate some sectors for me.  The noise is somewhat irritating but tolerable.

What should I do?  Back up my data and wait for it to fail? Or try to explain to Lenovo over the phone why I think I need a new drive?

Topics: 16
Kudos: 103
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 42

Re: Possible failing hard drive? Z560 - Seagate ST9500325AS

I would back-up, and call in, explaining the weird circumstance:

1) There are a huge amount of reallocation events on the hard drive, even after restoring the system to factory state (since running the bootable SeaTools is about as equivilent)

2) There is a continuous harmonic buzz that is not coming from the speakers.

This should get you a replacement.

Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

Re: Possible failing hard drive? Z560 - Seagate ST9500325AS