Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
WolfGuardian2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,529
Message 1 of 9

Preinstalled Software Issues

I recently purchased a Lenovo Y50-70 Touch Model 20349 from best buy when i first started it up The preinstalled Mcafee Live Protection (antivirus) said there were 50 recamended updates which i did not think twice about but should have been suspicious. After the updates ran I found that it had installed 100 Malware, spyware, and adware programs such as SearchProtect and Savepass. Rocketab was preinstalled on the computer which is reported to multiple virus databases as harmful Adware. I have sense removed Mcafee from the computer and have cleaned up the mess it had made. After consulting several IT profesionals it was determined the preinstalled mcaffee was a Malicious Program disguising itself as the real thing. They determined this due to the unusualy high resource usuage the program was using while passively running quoting one of them 'Mcafee is supposed to be a low footprint on the computer.' When i went back to best buy to get quality control service i was refused the technician saying they could not prove what was preinstalled from what i had installed. My audio driver is also missing its enhancement options and i had to manually configure the graphics drivers to properly determine which should be the primary for certain programs.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,511
Message 2 of 9

Re: Preinstalled Software Issues

If I am in your situation I will restore the Unit to factory condition through the NOVO button. Once it is restored and without connecting to the internet I'll uninstall McAfee. What I learned is that there are two McAfee programs installed. One is the Internet Suite and the other is the App. You should uninstall these two. Using another computer MCPRO.exe will have to be downloaded from the McAfee website and run in the affected unit. This will insure that all traces of McAfee are gone in your unit. Once this done Internet service will be started and updates to the built-in Windows Defender and OS can start.

That is what I am going to do however, since it is your unit you can follow what you think is right.

WolfGuardian2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,506
Message 3 of 9

As I stated I have alreadt resolved the issue this is me notifying person of importance monitoring this if i do not recieve a reply from a Lenovo staff I will be notifying the BBB on this matter through their complaint department. This malicious software should not be preinstalled and this product is currently sold which means Lenovo needs to do something about its product being distributed with Malicious software. I am currently consulting another IT person on saturday to fix the driver problems without perfoming a full restoration.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,495
Message 4 of 9

Hi WolfGuardian2,

Sorry to learn of your problem with security applications.

I am a bit confused by this:

" After consulting several IT profesionals it was determined the preinstalled mcaffee was a Malicious Program disguising itself as the real thing." Are you saying that your McAfee was not genuine? How was that confirmed? Did you register McAfee and where?

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,485
Message 5 of 9

@WolfGuardian2 wrote:

As I stated I have alreadt resolved the issue this is me notifying person of importance monitoring this if i do not recieve a reply from a Lenovo staff I will be notifying the BBB on this matter through their complaint department. This malicious software should not be preinstalled and this product is currently sold which means Lenovo needs to do something about its product being distributed with Malicious software. I am currently consulting another IT person on saturday to fix the driver problems without perfoming a full restoration.

Most of the responder in the forum are not Lenovo staff. This is because this forum as stated in the home page "This is a peer-to-peer support community.  Please participate and share your experience and expertise with others."

WolfGuardian2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,462
Message 6 of 9

After seting up the computer McAfee said there was 50 recamended updates which i did not think nothing of it, after it installed i did not really notice it right away but when i attempted to register the McAfee software it seemed to work but then everytime i turned the computer on it kept asking me to register. That was the first sign something was wrong so i installed spybot s&d and found my computer was loaded with malware, adware, and spyware. I then found out my window defender and firewal was disabled, after talking to IT at my job they told me that McAfee should be having only a small footprint on my resources and if it wasnt then it likely was not McAfee but a program disguised as it, so i uninstalled it and installed Avast and Avg (not running them at the same time) and my window defender and firewall started to function again. I also did a system check as the audio output was to low and found out the driver is missing the enhancement options. Not knowing the specific realtk driver i have held off fixing it. When i played a game I also discovered that the code that is supposed to auto determine what driver should be used for what program is not functioning properly and caused severe graphic lag and input, i had to manually set the primary driver in order to play games. I attempted to get best buy(where i bought the laptop) to do quality control but geek squad refused to provide the service and wanted me to purchase their tech plan and software instead of actually helping to resolve the issues i am having.

WolfGuardian2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,457
Message 7 of 9

I found the problem took some time with the audio but i realized my dobly part of the driver was not fully upgraded it was still at dobly digital rather then home theater.
Former Administrator
Views: 1,134
Message 8 of 9

WolfGuardian,

Sorry to hear of your troubles and appreciate your frustration.   I accept what you have said, however it seems that if this was truly in the preload, we would have a lot of reports of this issue in the forum as it would be a 100% problem on a lot of systems.

Since this is not the case, is it possible that your system might have been an open box, perhaps run by somebody else before you got it?

As Lenblazer suggests, one approach woud be to wipe everything with one key recovery and get back to the factory image.  If the same thing happens, then something is wrong with your system and we'd definitely like to investigate this.  We could proactively open a complaint and bring the system in for evaluation and repair / replacement as appropriate based on what we find.

Please let us know if you want to go that route.   You would want to back up any applications or data prior to the OKR proceedure since all data on the C drive would be wiped.

By your last message, am I correct that you've worked through this an have an alternate conclusion?  

Best regards,

Mark

WolfGuardian2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,065
Message 9 of 9

Thank you for the response and no i have no other conclusion but i have completely repairded the software problems myself i did not need to reset the computer. I am not sure the box itself did appear to be secure and the first time setup was in order, this is the first time i had this happen on any computer. My computer however is fine now i simply uninstalled the McAffee and just used a few free security programs to clean up the 'mess'. Though it is possible others have had the issue and not notice it if they had a immunization in place it would have blocked a good number of the programs. Only alternative is that durring the initial connection that the program installed itself durring initial contact with the internet, which would explain why so few have had this problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors