FR

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 1 of 7

Problem battery y700-15isk

2018-08-19, 9:29 AM

Hello,

I am the proud owner of a Y700-15isk and for the past few weeks, I can't get my battery to charge up.

First there was a problem with the AC adaptor. So I bought a new one. When my battery still wouldn't charge, I also bought a new one.

Now I have a brand new AC adaptor & battery but the battery still won't charge.

Do you have any idea what's wrong with my laptop and how to repair it ?

Options

1017 Posts

07-14-2010

CA

3945 Signins

17518 Page Views

• Views: 17518
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Problem battery y700-15isk

2018-08-19, 14:54 PM

Welcome to the forums!

Given that you have replaced both, there may be something off with the charging circuit. When you attach the new charger, does the front light go amber? That should indicate charging.

Depending on where you got the battery, it may have unfortunately entered a protective state on the cells, not allowing it to charge. So what I'd do is have the laptop powered off and plugged in for a a day to hopefully trickle charge the cells to jumpstart.

A good indicator of the battery state is the % charged when you received it. If it was completely dead, you may have received a dud. LiPos usually ship with about a 60% charge.

Good luck!

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Options

254 Posts

08-21-2016

US

1257 Signins

9377 Page Views

• Views: 9377
  • Message 3 of 7

2018-08-19, 16:23 PM

What is the rating on the AC adapter you bought? It might not have enough power to charge the battery while the laptop is on. The one I have (standard) is 6.75A (@ 20V).

It might also help to run powercfg -batteryreport (from the command line, press Win-X, and then A). It generates a HTML file with lots of information, including battery usage history, so you can see if it was ever charging or not.

Tell Lenovo the Y700 needs a better boot logo here
Options

3 Posts

08-19-2018

FR

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2018-08-19, 17:55 PM

There is an amber light. But it goes on for 5 seconds then it goes off for a second and back on again. It goes like that as long as the charger is pluged in.

The old battery had exactly the same problem than the new one (light goes on and off)

I don't remember how much the battery was charged. But now it's around 7%.

I bought the AC adaptor and the battery on Amazon.

The AC was sold by Lenovo. (https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01GPGJLIY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It's exactly the same as my old one. 6.75A, 20V etc...

The battery is suppose to be a battery made for the y700-15isk (https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07FM2DYDK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Is there a way to know if it's the charging circuit at fault ?

EDIT: I tried the powercfg thing. I could understand any of it :D

I'll try to power off my laptop for a day. I'll see if it'll charge that way...

Options

254 Posts

08-21-2016

US

1257 Signins

9377 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2018-08-20, 4:54 AM

I think it's safe to say the new AC adapter is not the culprit then.

The battery report includes usage history, which can tell you when it stopped charging properly. It could be that the previous, faulty AC adapter caused some damage to the charging circuitry on the system board when it malfunctioned. Looking at this report could corroborate it.

Or it could also be that the old battery wasn't charging because it was faulty and the new one isn't because it's missing some circuitry necessary to be identified as a compatible part by the laptop. I think this is not very likely but ideally you could rule it out definitely by plugging in another genuine Lenovo battery known to be in good working condition. However, since typically even a worn out battery would still be charging, it just wouldn't keep the charge well later, it seems the problem cannot just be with the batteries themselves. In fact, you might find out that your original battery would still work well in another Y700 laptop.

It's a good idea what you're doing now, that is trying to recharge it while the laptop is powered off to exclude the influence of any system settings. Some Lenovo utilities allow you to lower the charging threshold to, say, 60%, which extends battery lifespan. In such a scenario, the battery would be reported as not charging as well. Although at 7% it would probably start doing so anyway, so I don't think this is the explanation here either.

This laptop has extensive battery health reporting but I'm not sure if Lenovo provides any utility for that. The raw data is available from the EC registers. You could see this post for more details although the focus there is fan control: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Reducing-fans-noise-on-Lenovo-Legion-laptops/m-p/4125651#M17899

The battery data starts at 0xBE. 0xC1 is battery status. 0xB6 and 0xB7 are the voltage, and the first register should be changing rapidly when the battery is being charged. These registers can be read with RwEverything, or ec-probe command-line utility provided with Notebook Fan Control: https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/releases

If you post the values you get, we can compare them to what's showing on my laptop (with a working battery).

Alternatively, you can inspect the system board visually for damage to the charging circuitry, and perhaps do some checks with a multimeter.

Options

3 Posts

08-19-2018

FR

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2018-08-21, 21:21 PM

Hello,

So...I tried to leave my laptop off for a day then I plugged back it for another day.

It didn't do anything. The laptop say "6% and charging".

I re-tried the powercfg thing. Here are the results :

https://preview.ibb.co/m5zJoK/batteryreport.jpg

I don't have another genuine Lenovo battery to know if the charging circuit is at fault or not...

I think you may be right. My old AC adapter must have caused some damage. 

I tried to run RwEverything but I couldn't find the data about the battery.

Here is a screen of what I get from the EC:

https://ibb.co/b6aV2e

I'll try the multimeter this weekend, when I'll have more time.

Thanks anyway! :)

Options

254 Posts

08-21-2016

US

1257 Signins

9377 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2018-08-22, 6:08 AM

wrote:

I tried to run RwEverything but I couldn't find the data about the battery.

Here is a screen of what I get from the EC:

https://ibb.co/b6aV2e

The only thing that can be seen from the battery report is that a battery was last used on July 29, and at the time (I guess it's your original battery, not the one you bought) it was still estimated to have about 50% of its lifespan.

One more thing that would be good to try, although it's a long shot, is to reflash the BIOS because this also reflashes the embedded controller firmware, which is is responsible for battery charging, and resets any settings that might have accidentally become corrupted as a result of a power surge to their defaults. However, I'm afraid the flashing routine will refuse to run at this point because the battery charge is too low at 6%.

With RW-Everything, we can actually get some useful information, it's just that it's not documented anywhere:

• First of all, it's not only what the values are at any given moment but how they're changing in time. So it's best to set it to "Refresh" (in the top right corner).
  • Next, click on the "i" icon to load the information file (.irw) I am attaching below (same as in the post from another thread I linked to, if you looked at it before). These are the EC register identifiers I was able to get out of the ACPI DSDT table. Their names are limited to 4 characters, so still a bit cryptic, but it can often be guessed more or less what they mean. The good news is the ones that are related to battery all seem to start with B1__ or BA1_, and then anything that ends with ___C seems to be "current" (amperage), and ___V is "voltage."

Once you do the two above steps, you might want to compare your numbers with a snapshot from my laptop, where the battery is working fine, so I'm attaching a screenshot:

I unplugged the AC adapter to discharge the battery a bit and then plugged it back again to see what the registers look like when the battery is charging. In particular, note that the register at offset 0xBE changes from 0x01 to 0x11. That is, bit 4 is being set (0x11 = 0b00010001). From the information I was able to get out of the DSDT we can see that this is equivalent to the B1CH (Battery #1 Charging) flag being set.

Now, on your laptop, the value of this register is 0x01. Assuming you had the AC adapter plugged in when you took the screenshot, and the battery level was 6%, it is definitely a symptom of a problem that the this flag is not set. Other registers can be investigated similarly.

I'm afraid at this point it's just between this method, the multimeter, and visual inspection of the charging circuitry.

However, there's one other thing you might also try. Download the attachment from this post: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Reducing-fans-noise-on-Lenovo-Legion-laptops/m-p/4125653/#M17900

This is an old version of Lenovo's Energy Management software. Again, I extracted it for fan control experiments but it can also be useful here. Unzip it and run "Energy Management.exe", right-click on the tray icon, and then the battery icon, and it gives you access to some battery settings. I'd do the following:

• Make sure that "Battery Fully-Charged Mode" is set (maybe even switch to "Protection Mode", "Apply", and then back, "Apply" again)
  • Run "Battery Gauge Reset" under "Advanced Features"

Hope this helps.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete