Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Desperado97
Paper Tape
Views: 13,417
Message 1 of 45

Problem with Lenovo z51-70

Hello guys i bought this laptop about a month ago and im still suffering to get the GPU working fine , it has the AMD R9 m375 (4GB) however when im playing games the GPU is not performing as expected it works even worse than my old laptop that has ONLY Integrated intel GPU and i don't think that R9 is as bad the the intel one , okay whatever what happen when im playing the game: 1- LOW FPS

2-Screen Fliker

3-Keep flashing (Turns white or green for really short time but i can still notice it)

thing i tried to fix it: 1-re-installing the drivers

2-re-downloaded the drivers from the official website (Lenovo)

3-Download the driver from AMD (Actually i didn't find it so i downloaded the found one)

4-Updating BIOS

5-EVERYTHING.

So guys can someone from Lenovo help me solving this..is it something wrong or just the GRAPHIC CARD IS THAT BAD?

Lunas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 13,247
Message 2 of 45

Re: Problem with Lenovo z51-70

I have the same laptop it plays some game fine what are you trying to play and what settings 

also for the life of me I cant get any driver except the lenovo provided one to load on the machine. 

And 2 tips it must be plugged in to switch to the amd gpu and it dumps alot of heat so dont block the fan a hard surface is a must. Look into a cooling mat for the laptop...

Desperado97
Paper Tape
Views: 13,219
Message 3 of 45

i play games like League of Legends...i get unstable FPS (40-70) , however the GT 840m manage to get a stable 120 FPS! , and after checking few comparison the m375 seems much better than GT 840m but however the performance is not if so ,  then the older Lenovo z50-70 is much better than Lenovo z51-70 , i don't think its a good idea from lenovo to release a laptop that include a GPU that AMD is not yet supporting!

and my screen keep flickers and flashing (Flashing green and white for a short period of time only when im playing games)

Lunas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 13,212
Message 4 of 45

As much as I hate to point fingers this is both amd and lenovo's fault lenovo like most oem concerns itself with a homogenous experience for its laptop lines so it attempts to do so by limiting drivers to only what they release and the z51 I have to say is a huge driver mess. The amd driver is from febuary despite when lenovo released it the m375 is brand newish it is a refresh of the m275 still it should be close to equal and there is no real reason that the laptop should use the intel graphics except when on battery.  But the unholy mess that is the graphics drivers for this laptop has made it so you need to tell it to use the maximum performance option for each game in the switchable graphics program. Furthermore we will not get features amd has given to the chip through driver improvement until lenovo tests rewrites and releases the drivers. 

Make sure in the switchable graphics settings that each game is set to max performance and make sure you have good ventilation the m375 is hot hot hot.

Hope for new drivers or look for a way to get standard amd drivers to recognize the chip.

This will be my first and last lenovo.

Desperado97
Paper Tape
Views: 13,206
Message 5 of 45

Yea im hoping for a new driver that could fix this issue , and for me too its my frist and last lenovo..

Thanks Lenovo...

Lunas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 13,187
Message 6 of 45

It unfortunately is not just lenovo who restricts drivers like this nearly every oem does in some manner. Toshiba did dell did I dont recall hp doing it but I imagine they do too. The question is who makes a standard interface and uses a standard driver for the driver. We are wanting home made desktop quality and features but in a laptop. I just wish there was a company that had the sack to reach for the stars and offer a true barebones chasis of a laptop that we can have whatever we want in it based off intel or amd...

but honestly I would settle for a laptop just like the z51 but with chip makers drivers and better cooling...

tell me if setting it manually to max performance helps 

Desperado97
Paper Tape
Views: 13,169
Message 7 of 45

im already setting it to max performance. it doesnt help

gaurav1237
Blue Screen Again
Views: 13,106
Message 8 of 45

hey dude just ask lenovo that you want this model and ask them to refund all of the **bleep**in money ,this product basically  sucks  i am gonna fight court case against for this issue.

Lunas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 13,100
Message 9 of 45

Why there is nothing about this that is falsely represented or otherwise
lawsuit able there are only 2 things to do return for a refund and never
buy lenovo again. Unless lenovo goes back to the quality when ibm owned it
this is going to be my last one and I can't recommend them either.

As for the ac power requirements 4 hours of surfing or movie watching is
fully handled by the i7 alone if you want to play games plug it in.

Former Administrator
Views: 13,099
Message 10 of 45

All,

First, can you confirm that while gaming, you are plugged on AC and have power management set to max performance?

Do the games start, and then begin to run slower after they have run a while (perhaps suggesting throttling due to heat), or do you get less than expected performance all the tiem?

We can try to test.  

Can you confirm the driver version, the BIOS version, and what games?

Have you tried any GPU performance test like furmark so you could share the results and we could compare by running on a system internally?

Thanks!

Mark

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors