cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Curcelli
Paper Tape
Views: 339
Message 1 of 7

Problems with Y510P, windows expiring and won't accept product key, plus missing details.

Hi, got a message yesterday on my windows 8.1 laptop saying my windows is expiring in a couple of weeks and I need to put in a product key to renew it. So I found my product key and put i tin and it won't work? It says it can't be accepted and to use another one?

It was originally a windows 8 but I did the update to make it an 8.1.

Anyone able to help? 

Also where can I find the details to my laptop? Like serial number and stuff? There isn't a sticker underneath.

Guru
Views: 328
Message 2 of 7

Re: Problems with Y510P, windows expiring and won't accept product key, plus missing details.

It should not be asking for a Windows key if it was ONLY an update from Windows 8 to 8.1

Did you change the HDD, modified BIOS or installed 8.1 differently than going into "Update & Recovery"?

Your Serial Number and Model No should be on the Invoice which Lenovo sent you.

It should also be in the Final order email and the Lenovo Order Status on the website.

Note it down, since I also couldn't find it on my laptop as a sticker.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Curcelli
Paper Tape
Views: 321
Message 3 of 7

Re: Problems with Y510P, windows expiring and won't accept product key, plus missing details.

I've been running 8.1 for a while and it just randomly started coming up.

Lenovo told me to restore my system over the phone but surely there is a better fix?

Guru
Views: 316
Message 4 of 7

By "For a While", i hope you mean more than 30 days, since that is how long windows allows you to run a copy without registering it.

Could be the case that your registry got corrupted and the key was lost, I am not sure how or why that can happen.

I would also suggest to revert to factory settings and update again. You cannot use the key as such to activate Windows, since it is not a Retail key. Make sure to backup your important files (including your windows profile) on an external drive, create a recovery disk and keep a copy of all drivers from Lenovo Website before you start the restore process.

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Curcelli
Paper Tape
Views: 311
Message 5 of 7

Yeah more than 30 days.

I don't really wanna restore the whole thing to be honest. If there is no other way to fix this then refund is my best option I think.

Guru
Views: 309
Message 6 of 7

I don't think Lenovo refunds after 30 days of purchase. If its a third party seller, I am not sure.

Lenovo only repairs and replaces defective parts after 30 days of purchase as per warranty.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 291
Message 7 of 7

@Curcelli wrote:

Hi, got a message yesterday on my windows 8.1 laptop saying my windows is expiring in a couple of weeks and I need to put in a product key to renew it. So I found my product key and put i tin and it won't work? It says it can't be accepted and to use another one?

It was originally a windows 8 but I did the update to make it an 8.1.

Anyone able to help? 

Also where can I find the details to my laptop? Like serial number and stuff? There isn't a sticker underneath.

I don't know if you are the same person in this thread.  However, the recommendation (which I agree since I encounter this problem also sometime ago) is to restore to factory default. That is shut down the unit. Press the NOVO button, then select system recovery. Select restore to initial backup.

Before doing the above be sure to backup your personal files.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors