Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JC909
Paper Tape
Views: 585
Message 1 of 8

Problems with touchpad - idea pad z580

Hi all, I bought my z580 a couple of weeks ago and since then have been having problems with the touchpad. Sometimes the cursor freezes on screen and I have tap the touch pad repeadly and quite hard to get it going again. It frequently opens the charms bar and/or a little battery life/time and date window. It also keeps switching between full screen and normal. Really, really irritating. Would be very obliged to anyone who can help. I've tried installing the lastest drivers for the touchpad but so far no success.

adorable
Fanfold Paper
Views: 571
Message 2 of 8

Re: Problems with touchpad - idea pad z580

1. The Synaptics ClickPad used on the Z580 is one of the worst touchpads in existence. I've owned lots of laptops, used even more at work, and this one is really bad when it comes to the issues you describe.

2. If you set the PALM CHECK to the MINIMUM, the Keyboard will respond INSTANTLY and SIMULTANEOUSLY while you use the touchpad. Otherwise!!! - the keyboard or the touchpad will have a slight period where it WILL NOT RESPOND at ALL!!! >.< Thus, move the mouse, wait, use the keyboard when PALM CHECK is anything higher than mimimum.

3. You can adjust the touch sensitivity and palm check to help reduce the typos you get - usually, slide palm check up just before the red zone, and bring touch sensitivity up a few notches from minimum.

4. CAN'T BELIEVE Lenovo would ship such a poor touchpad with the Z580!?!? It's really horrible! All of the other touchpads (eg. Macbook Pro, Toshiba Satellite, HPs) on laptops of late all work perfectly fine without the stuttering, typos, etc. I also experience. Even going from a 2006 era Macbook Pro to this laptop makes me feel there's something seriously wrong with the touchpad.... but it's what everyone else is reporting.

JC909
Paper Tape
Views: 548
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go.
JC909
Paper Tape
Views: 544
Message 4 of 8

Hi, I can't find any options in the mouse setting for Palm Check. I'm running windows 8 if that helps.

JC909
Paper Tape
Views: 506
Message 5 of 8

I'm still having problems. If anyone has any idea's on how to help that would be great.

adorable
Fanfold Paper
Views: 487
Message 6 of 8

Don't have Windows 8, but on Windows 7, you double-click on the Synaptics icon in the toolbar (near the clock), click on Device Settings tab, click on Settings button, Then expand the menu tree POINTING -> SENSITIVITY -> Palm Check & Touch Sensitivity listed here.

JC909
Paper Tape
Views: 412
Message 7 of 8

Hey, just applied those settings. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks,

JC909
Paper Tape
Views: 385
Message 8 of 8

Its still unresponsive some times, but its better than it was. Having issues with the palmcheck when I type, page keeps scrolling up and down erratically. It would be great if anyone had a definitive solution.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors