cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnboytex
Blue Screen Again
Views: 276
Message 1 of 8

QUESTION: does the Windows OS make any changes to BIOS or CMOS?

I have an ideapad Y550. At some point someone installed a DELL hard-drive image on the laptop (wife's work was trying to help her with a software problem so they just slapped their standard image onto the drive).

Some changes occurred then that I believe switched something in the BIOS. Even with a new hard drive and an installation or windows XP, Windows vista, and Windows 10, the problem remains.

I have anothre thread (unvisited) on the specific problem but basically the laptop shuts down whenever I pull the plug. I can turn on the laptop unplugged or keep it on as long as I press and hold the OKR (one key recovery) button. this proves that the battery works fine but leads me to believe that somehow the button mapping or firmware for the keyboard could possible be changed.

Is it possible that an OS image could have updated the firmware or BIOS? If so, how do I return to original state? I have already done a basic flash of the bios and I have tried resetting cmos, loading bios defaults, etc. But something must be happening on a sub-OS level otherwise I would at least be able to power the laptop up with the power button while unplugged (without having to hold the OKR key).

Any thoughts?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 273
Message 2 of 8

Re: QUESTION: does the Windows OS make any changes to BIOS or CMOS?

The answer is no unless you flash the bios. What happen, since the image is from another brand, is that all drivers installed are from that other brand. Why not reset the OS without saving anything and install drivers from Lenovo thereafter. Backup your data before doing it.

johnboytex
Blue Screen Again
Views: 264
Message 3 of 8

I actually used a new hard drive and installed OS from scratch to test this.

The reason I am curious about a lower level change is that the problem exists before the OS is loaded. The unplugged laptop only powers up if I hold the OKR button down.

Any way I can change the lower level config or interrupt of how that button is used?

John
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 259
Message 4 of 8

@johnboytex wrote:
I actually used a new hard drive and installed OS from scratch to test this.

The reason I am curious about a lower level change is that the problem exists before the OS is loaded. The unplugged laptop only powers up if I hold the OKR button down.

Any way I can change the lower level config or interrupt of how that button is used?

John

The only way that you can do that is to have yoir bios modded so that all controls can be seen. Modding the bios can result to a dead unit and it is very difficult to reverse what is being done. So be extra careful.

Try wiping clean that new hdd using another unit, then install it to the unit under consideration. Boot to bios and set all settings to default values and save. Disable Secure boot, save and then reset everything again, then save and exit. Do a clean install of the OS.

johnboytex
Blue Screen Again
Views: 234
Message 5 of 8

I haven't modified the bios.

I reset the bios to default.

I loaded a new OS on another hard-drive, in the new system, for which I booted to CD to host the install.

The system loaded fine (again- I did windows 10)

I went back into the bios and reset/ loaded default settings.

Still- when I try to turn on the system unplugged it will not power up. And when I unplug the machine while booted, the system crashes. All of this, unless I hold the OKR button, at which point the laptop stays alive.

John

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 214
Message 6 of 8

@johnboytex wrote:

I haven't modified the bios.

I reset the bios to default.

I loaded a new OS on another hard-drive, in the new system, for which I booted to CD to host the install.

The system loaded fine (again- I did windows 10)

I went back into the bios and reset/ loaded default settings.

Still- when I try to turn on the system unplugged it will not power up. And when I unplug the machine while booted, the system crashes. All of this, unless I hold the OKR button, at which point the laptop stays alive.

John

This is what I have suggested earlier: Try wiping clean that new hdd using another unit, then install it to the unit under consideration. Boot to bios and set all settings to default values and save. Disable Secure boot, save and then reset everything again, then save and exit. Do a clean install of the OS.

The reason why you have to wipe it clean because If I can remember right (observed in an old Dell unit) is that Dell installs in the hdd a diagnostic program which you can initiate during boot up by pressing certain key combinations. I don't know if they install other hidden programs but just to be sure wipe the hdd to erase them.

johnboytex
Blue Screen Again
Views: 212
Message 7 of 8

Got it. Sorry if I was unclear, but the HDD I am using now with Windows 10 has never had a Dell image on it. 

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 207
Message 8 of 8

@johnboytex wrote:

Got it. Sorry if I was unclear, but the HDD I am using now with Windows 10 has never had a Dell image on it. 

After the installation of Win 10 it is important that the chipset drivers should be installed (Although Win 10 will install a generic driver it is better to use the driver provided by the manufacturer).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors