Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wookiestick
Paper Tape
Views: 4,139
Message 1 of 14

Question on y510 regarding video upgradability

I'm considering getting a Lenovo y510
Unfortunetly I do not know the exact model number so the best I can do is offer the specs on the website in question-- with emphasis on the integrated video.  I'd like to be able to use this for games and I know that over 90% of laptops don't have an option to, but I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade the gpu to say, like a Geforce 8600.  Or any other video at all.  Thank you in advance if anyone can give me a straight answer on this.
  • Processors
    • Intel(R) Centrino Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750
    • Speed: 2GHz
    • FSB: 667MHz
    • Cache: 2MB
  • Memory
    • Size: 2GB (1GB X 2)
    • Type: DDR2
    • Speed: PC2-5300
    • Slots (Total): 2
    • Maximum Memory Supported: 4GB
  • Drives
    • 250GB Hard Drive
    • Optical Drive Type: Dual Layer DVD±RW
    • Supplemental Drive Type: Media Reader

• Intel 802.11 bg integrated Wireless LAN
  • Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium*
  • Integrated graphics solutions with Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

I know there are versions of this laptop that have the geforce 8600 but for 499 for the one listed above I'd be willing to spend a little extra $$$ to upgrade this to one with better video.
wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,126
Message 2 of 14

Re: Question on y510 regarding video upgradability

no your graphics card are not upgradable, so you will have to stick with your integrated card. But X3100 card is not that bad, you can still play some games.
Fulong
Serial Port
Views: 4,076
Message 3 of 14

@Wookiestick Smiley Happy

If you plan to use your Lenovo Y510 IdeaPad for playing back commercial HD media content, be advised to review my posting about what I have discovered so far on the subject. Recommendations would be, just insure the main purpose for using whatever mobile computer you end up getting to match your needs.

forums.lenovo.com/HD

And YES, the Lenovo Y510 IdeaPad is nice, especially for the price, looks, and performance, but it's NOT the Y710 model or any of those other more expensive products, like say Sager mobile PC's etc... I predict the next version of Lenovo Y510 might be an 16" true 16:9 ratio using MXM PCIe Video Card, that would support HDMI/HDCP with better video performance for rendering HD 1080p content using an HDCP enabled OLED monitor. But, that is only my wish that Lenovo would. Who knows maybe Lenovo will actually read and take a notice in what their Lenovo customers are wanting?
Y510-6 59012693 X86 XP-SP3

同一个世界同一个梦想
wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,062
Message 4 of 14

OLED screen??? do you know currently a 11 inch model by Sony costs 2499 USD, so how much is Lenovo going to charge for an Ideapad with an 15.4 or 17 inch panel??? it would more likely be LED backlighting with regular LCD panels. I haven't seen any 16 inch laptop screens before, i don't know many LCD manufacturers even make this sort of Panel. The HD 1080p graphics should not be too hard for the CPU, it would probably be more dependent on the correct drive set and graphics card. You can watch 1080p in WUXGA panels, which is available in Thinkpads T series, but cost of these panels are extremely high.
Fulong
Serial Port
Views: 4,039
Message 5 of 14

@wjli2 Smiley Happy

Glad to know your kicking and alive! Hopefully, your not the type that bites! Humor...

OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diodes) is made part from organic compounds which are both environmental more friendly and cheaper to mass produce. I wouldn't get so excited about what Sony is selling it's rather limited OLED products currently. It's like the same can be said for many newer technologies. Take for example SSD (solid state drives) which really are booming sales in the corporate world this year so far.

In fact, just about every new technology started out a bit expensive, and ended up a whole lot cheaper. I'm willing to bet, the first computer you purchased was more expensive than the computer your using now, right? Well for me this was true. I remember the first calculator too. It was sold for about $200 dollars which today you can get very cheap.

By the way, Lenovo is about innovation, instead of following Sony, right? Or does China come last again? I know that's flame baiting, but it's for the good of Lenovo here to realize in order to be a leader, you got to stand out from the rest, right?

OLED has many other advantages, and it's very exciting to see it if only in some of the mobile computer already being sold now. Have you seen one yet? Super thin, bright and full of luxurious colors, which the market is ripe for...

PPG Industries, both Konica and Minolta, Sony, Sharp and GE are currently accelerating there efforts to enable commercial manufacturing and for other lighting applications. You may soon see the option to replace all your light bulbs soon.

Wikipedia reports, "There is speculation that the next generation 3G version of the Apple iPhone may use OLED technology." So you see, if mobile phones get OLED, do you still think mobile computers are all that much behind?

I agree that Lenovo should be able to support 1080p HD media content with a better decrete video card that comes with HDCP enabled monitors, of higher resolution, etc... In fact, that's one of the downsides to the current Y510 IdeaPad, because of the limited choice offered for the video card and the fact that the monitor is HDCP enabled, right?

a) GeForce 8600M GS Graphics Smiley Happy (better)
b) Intel GMA X3100 Graphics

As someone else said in the forums, "Apparently Lenovo (in their infinite wisdom) has burned an ID into the card's firmware that must be there for the machine BIOS to bless it during the boot process."

Thanks for the feedback. Smiley Happy

同一个世界同一个梦想
wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,026
Message 6 of 14

Technology do get cheap over time, but there is a time frame. At the current costs of OLED it is unlikely that Lenovo would adopt it in Ideapad in the next product cycle, maybe one after that. Cost is an important factor in many large scale production, so when you see OLED in Macbook than you would likely have to wait 1 - 2+ years before it is implementated by the other manufacturers throughout the range. Just like Macbook Pro with the LED backlighting LCD which was released nearly 1 year before Thinkpad x300 with similar LED backlighting, right now you are not seeing LED backlighted LCD across the entire range by all other laptop manufacturers. This sort of technology transfer delay would be something that you expect in the OLED release.

The SSD was available even in 2002 albeit at extremely high costs, but right now how many laptop companies are actually using it throughout the product range, there is a transition time of around 5 to 6 years, where the product is available to the market and it been adopted throughout the product range. This is the only way corporation can make a healthy profit margin.

Message Edited by wjli2 on 06-06-2008 07:01 PM
wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,016
Message 7 of 14

Sony, Mac, Lenovo, HP/Compaq and Benq such are all made in China by Foxconn, Compal and Wistron. So how much is Apple charging for a 3G Iphone again??? Making a 15.4 inch OLED and a 3.5 inch is quite different, the cost goes up exponentially. Also you have to consider supply and demand, are there enough people out there whom are willing to pay premium for a OLED based laptop and how much premium are they willing to pay. The cost and benefit analysis clearly do not point to Lenovo adopting an OLED based screen within the next product release. Apple can do lot of innovation due to a large following with the Ipod products, while their laptop range is only limited to Macbook black/white, Macbook Air and Macbook Pro 15.4 inch and 17 inch. For Lenovo they got Thinkpads T series with 14.1 inch, 15.4 inch, X series normal, tablet and windscreen (X300), R series with 15.4 inch and 14.1 inch. Then there is the different Ideapad varieties and the Lenovo 3000 notebooks. Lenovo product range can further expand when you consider the different combination of PCMCIA, express card, memory card reader layouts, fingerprint reader layouts, etc.

If OLED based laptop is economically viable the Macbook would have done it, since they charge a higher premium for their laptop and this price difference allows them to implement more expensive technology. So one step at a time please, you can't run before you can walk. CCFL LCD -> LED LCD -> OLED screens.
Fulong
Serial Port
Views: 3,987
Message 8 of 14

@wjli2 Smiley Happy

Thanking you sharing your analogy, specifically with Mac Book History. It was an interesting read! And YES, I do see the point you're making which sounds practical and on the surface to be whole. However, if I may counter in a rebuttal, it has always been said, "Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results", right?

It's wasn't all that long ago when almost everyone was using the CRT, but now everyone even in China is buying LCD, and way bigger sizes than what was even available just a while back. Last year, at the CES 2007 Show in Los Vegas, Sharp was displaying their 108" LCD HDTV. Just who then would have imagine that? Would You?

CES 2007 Sharp
108" LCD HDTV Review Here

Point being, computer trends are really an evolving market in which "disruptive technologies' often occur, right? I was glad to see Lenovo's new X300 (ultraportable laptop) which does come with an SSD by the way. Surprise, it's from Lenovo!

So who can imagine in just the next five years of time ahead what will become mainstream in computer trends?

How many of you remember Momenta, GRiD, and GO / EO? In the early '90s, just about every PC company had pen computers, but they failed to catch on. Here's another one, speech recognition has got to be one of the biggest disappointment of all, especially for Star Trek fans. But here we are, still banging away on our keyboards. Then there was "HD Radio" even after more than a decade, it hasn't catch on if only it come standard in all AM/FM tuners, right?

In the late '70s, every major electronics company was working on Bubble memory (nonvolatile magnetic memory) technology. Where is now?

In the '80s, lots of experts thought GaAs (Gallium arsenide) would supplant CMOS semiconductor technology in computers. But CMOS' remarkable scalability has limited gallium arsenide to relatively niche applications.

I would argue in that living in today's developing world, with so many things changing, it's really more of a matter of catching up on what has occurred than of what is actually happening? Just look at China, and ask who would have imagined, that a time not so long ago, all these things took place from just 60 years ago?

However, I don't think we are made wise by the recollection of our past, but rather by the responsibility for our future, right? And lastly, if we ignore history are doomed to repeat it?

同一个世界同一个梦想
Retired Guru
Views: 3,974
Message 9 of 14

Fulong, there're tonns of letters written by you and some WiKiFacts inside your post but I'm in despair - I failed to understand what are you trying to say.
In my opinion wjli2 is completely flawlessly right. And i can't get how "history" and "doomed" is related to this. History is always repeated. Also, technologies are always developed the same - soem genius brings the idea, than some company buys patent and this genius, than two-seven years to make it useable, than unbelieveable sum if money of enthusiasts, geeks and people who really need this technology is thrown away to allow the manufacturer to lower prices and only then technology is widespreaded and cheap.
Are YOU that enthusiast, geek or professional that needs this technology NOW? If NOT - wait until it's cheap enough. It's always the same and always will stay this way.
Thread can be closed I think Robot Happy
//help will save the world
wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,971
Message 10 of 14

Fulong regarding your first comment, i would like to say that Moore's Law have served the industry very well for the past few decades. In addition, when some technology is under patent that technology becomes a cash cow for the company, since most companies require a healthy profit to stay afloat, therefore it is within reason that they will try to derive as much financial benefit from it as possible. In addition OLED technology is relatively new as compared to LCD, so the development of OLED have already been an accelerated process, but the patents behind the technology are still in effect.

Technology behind LCD have been around for many decades, but the production process is extremely tedious and full of flaws, the production technology for modern LCD was developed by a professor in Columbia University. However, even with his development the technology was still expensive, as the screen wastage was extremely high, more than half of normal production would end up in the rubbish bin, as these screen would have too many dead pixels, which was reason that LCD was so expensive. In the older LCD production technology, liquid crystal was applied using extremely high quality velvet cloth. However, kudo to IBM whom developed the vapour deposition method, which allowed LCD production costs to go down by nearly 60 percent and wastage to be cut by 30 percent. Patent behind most of the technologies used to produce LCD have long been expired, which one of the reason why we see a rapid transgression from CRT to LCD.

Actually LG was the first to produce a 100 inch HD LCD screen in 2006, but they estimated the cost of production would be $100,000 USD+ even under mass production. Actually currently a LCD production line produces sheet of LCD glass in around the 100 inch mark, before it is trimmed to size to produce your TV LCD or laptop LCD, which they prefer the former as they have a higher profit margin.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors