Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dtmwerks
Fanfold Paper
Views: 550
Message 1 of 3

Questions about drivers for lenovo y510p

So I deecided to come to this forum to check the latest news and saw "drivers & downloads" is stickied.

So, I don't really understand drivers and this software. Do I need to manually update my laptop? I thought in todays day and age, drivers and windows automatically update when you restart. Or there are prompts that there are new drivers out.
 Maybe it's better if I organize it like this

1) What are drivers? They tell the device what to do?

2) Do I have to manually update drivers?

3) Is this the right page to do all that? http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page

just click on everything and update?

4) Don't people do this under "device manger" in control panel and update it there? Have to do that manually there as well?

Thanks for any help

Psyrecx
802.11n
Views: 519
Message 2 of 3

Re: Questions about drivers for lenovo y510p

Windows will try and update some devices as they get the drivers from the manufacturers, but as Microsoft forces companies to jump through a lot of loop-holes to get drivers approved, so just don't bother and will issue drivers that need updated manually.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 | Intel® Core™ I7-3630M @2.4GHz | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | Nvidia® Geforce™ GT 750M | 120GB Mushkin Atlas Deluxe mSATA SSD | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint M8 5400RPM HDD | 1080p Lenovo Display | Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
dtmwerks
Fanfold Paper
Views: 486
Message 3 of 3

Re: Questions about drivers for lenovo y510p

So instead of going to control panel, device manager, update driver. I should just go through lenovo?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors