Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdurrant
Paper Tape
Views: 1,531
Message 61 of 78

Re: Random Unwanted Keyboard Shortcuts

@BigChief wrote:

Did anyones keyboard start malfunctioning after the computer was on for an extended period of time or was very hot?

Actually, that is interesting.  My keyboard seems to work fine after I shut down and leave the computer off for 30 minutes or so... when I boot back up my keyboard works fine until about 3-4 hours later.  Then it will start acting crazy again.  By acting crazy I mean... pressing n will resize or move the window, m will pop up something strange, etc.

Did you replace your keyboard and still have the problem?  My computer just barely left the manufacture warranty period and so I am trying to fix this on my own.

-Jared

NexDemise
Punch Card
Views: 1,518
Message 62 of 78

Well i also removed all the lenovo bulkware when i first got my machine, only thing I got left from them is the power manager (the thing that lets you pick between different power saving states). Try disabling them all and see if it will help.
Rockdrum
Punch Card
Views: 1,513
Message 63 of 78

NexDemise,

It won't solve the problem, in linux there it is, obviously not opening the lenovo software, but writing random characters. it's definitely a hardware problem.
NexDemise
Punch Card
Views: 1,506
Message 64 of 78

Well in my case (with the menu popping out) that alone helped, if u get ghost keystrokes then likely the keyboard is **bleep**ed, best give support a call.
Rockdrum
Punch Card
Views: 1,503
Message 65 of 78

Check, in microsoft word or worpad, etc. Press "m" and it should write ghost random characters, at the same time that opens the "lenovo custom program settings", as you removed all the lenovo bulkware you would only get the random characters. It may not appear at the first test, but if you are working in a word text, you should notice it.
NexDemise
Punch Card
Views: 1,470
Message 66 of 78

well its got me too, gonna rma later
jdurrant
Paper Tape
Views: 1,448
Message 67 of 78

NexDemise wrote:
well its got me too, gonna rma later

I bought a replacement keyboard.  Picked one up off of EBAY for about 30 bucks.  I will let you know if fixing the keyboard makes the problem go away.  It is really wierd how the problem is so hit and miss, part of me wants to think it is hardware... but part of me thinks it is software because it NEVER did this before I updated the graphics fix.

ugh.   I actually seriously considered a Mac today.

-Jared

jdurrant
Paper Tape
Views: 1,447
Message 68 of 78

This website seems to have some valuable information. 

http://forums.techarena.in/portable-devices/1377118.htm

I doubt that Lenovo would admit that their system is unstable after a little bit of use.

-Jared

jdurrant
Paper Tape
Views: 1,442
Message 69 of 78

I just changed my keyboard and so far so good.  Although, I have only been using it for a few minutes.   If it starts to act up again, I will be sure to let you know.  If you do not hear from me any more, assume that replacing the keyboard will fix the problem.

Good luck!

-Jared

crlab
What's DOS?
Views: 1,419
Message 70 of 78

I have the same problem with my Lenovo y460p - a Custom Program Settings window randomly appears when I am working, and strange text appears in a text document, as if a key is held down (though the text editor shows the pipe symbol, rather than a common character).This is intermittent but relatively common.... Looks like this

http://i56.tinypic.com/w9tbpi.png

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors