Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
conley
Paper Tape
Views: 724
Message 1 of 4

Rapid drive y560 - cloning hard drive

I just got a y560 with rapid drive and I want to switch out the 5400 RPM hard drive for a 7200 RPM. I tried cloning the hard drives, but I forgot to format it as NTFS, so it isn't surprising that it didn't work. I don't see any reason why a clone wouldn't work (as long as it's formatted correctly, that is) but I figured I would check here first, in case there were some weird quirks with rapid drive. I would use a One Key Recovery backup or whatever, but it only lets you use DVDs, so it would be a huge pain. So I guess what I'm asking is: will a formatted clone work? If not, what could I do?

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 684
Message 2 of 4

Re: Rapid drive y560 - cloning hard drive

cloned to bigger size of your current hard disc?

maybe it's the application you used, try easeaus disk copy

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
conley
Paper Tape
Views: 675
Message 3 of 4

No, both are 500GB hard drives, so I don't have to resize. I was using easeaus disk copy, but I decided to switch to Seagate's Wizard (it does the same thing). I just forgot to format, so the data was (presumably) copied, but not to an NTFS partition. But anyways, you don't think the rapid drive will pose any issue? I can't see how there could be a problem, since I'm cloning to an equal size hard drive, and therefore all the files would be exactly the same.

I can use easeus disk copy this time though, I just wanted to know for sure that it would work because it takes a long time to copy everything.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 664
Message 4 of 4

weird, it should've worked.

i don't know which copy method you picked but format the second hard disc as ntfs if first copying process made partitions as the same size as the original hard disc volumes.

7200 rpm may cause heating issue by the way.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors