Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnnyX
Paper Tape
Views: 5,224
Message 361 of 404

Re: Lenovo Z510 CPU stuck at 0.77GHz

I have the same problem with my G510 i7 4700MQ .

When i plug the power adapter the cpu frequency is set 798 Mhz

When i UNplug the power adapter i can reach maximum 2.4 Ghz

Obvisously i cannot get turbo 3.4Ghz at all.

Graphics adapter frequency is also drops to 200 Mhz when i plug the power adapter.

What is going on ?

Is there a fix ..or is it a buggy notebook ?

My bios version is 3.05 and i know that the newer version is 3.09 but bios update is only available in Windows 8.

I've got windows 7.

intel processor diagnostic tool shows FAILED when accessing cpu frequency

N0m4dHS
Paper Tape
Views: 5,170
Message 362 of 404

Hi,i've tested the new bios v40 but it doesn't seem to work,now it got worse,sometimes at startup wont get to 3.1 with the old energy management software,after entering sleep mode and waking up from it,is the only solution to unstuck the cpu. But it only works for hours,sometimes for a day or two,or when a game is started,then it can last for days.unplugging,doesnt seem to help

styrke
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,161
Message 363 of 404

I turned on my laptop from hibernation mode then I stressed the cpu. Onthe screenshots You  can see the cpu is no longer limited to 0.77ghz and can clock up to 2.2ghz on power save mode while unplugged.

I can tell that the limit has been fixed in v40.

Screenshots:

Spoiler
1.png
Spoiler
2.png
unclewebb
802.11n
Views: 5,147
Message 364 of 404

styrke - Your first screenshot shows your CPU running at 1898 MHz.  Better than 798 MHz?  Yes.  Fixed?  No.

Your CPU is not running at its default speed of 2200 MHz and it is not using any Turbo Boost.  I own a Y510P and it can use full Turbo Boost when running on battery power.  Why is the Z510 not able to run at its default speed and why is Turbo Boost not working on battery power?

ThoSta
Punch Card
Views: 5,120
Message 365 of 404

Turbo never worked on my Z510 on battery power. Maybe it's disabled for better battery life.

On AC my Z510 is going up to 3Ghz. Never had any issue since V39.

CutestDevil
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,111
Message 366 of 404

Yep, Turbo Boost aint working on battery mode with this new so called test V40 bios as well ,Screw the battery life , it irritates a lot to use computer when it drags and hangs,cant even play a game on battery,have to be plugged all the time ,so stupid.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,096
Message 367 of 404

Hi guys,

I just want share my experience with another brand which has the same situation as discuss in this thread. In battery mode Turbo Boost is off thus the cpu speed is stuck at 0.77 Ghz. In ac mode it is working. I found out that removing the energy program similar to the Lenovo Energy management program and setting the windows power plan to balanced restores Turbo Boost whether you operate the unit in battery or ac mode. I have not updated the bios.

Has anyone tried temporarily remove the Energy Management program and setting the power plan to balanced?

Highlighted
Former Employee
Views: 5,038
Message 368 of 404

Just a note - BIOS v40 was officially released on 11/25 and can be found here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z510-...

Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion and troubleshooting of the reports of the CPU becoming stuck at 0.77GHz. I appreciated your input and assistance.

Thank you,

CutestDevil
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,009
Message 369 of 404

So is this means.End of this Topic and issue..?? What abt Turbo boost not working on battery mode and wont go past 2.45 ghz on battery ?? o.O

jhorton328
Punch Card
Views: 4,970
Message 370 of 404

@CutestDevil wrote:

So is this means.End of this Topic and issue..?? What abt Turbo boost not working on battery mode and wont go past 2.45 ghz on battery ?? o.O

Hey there, so the specific problem noted here was the 'stuck at .77Ghz' issue.  After doing some research, it is not clear if the unit stuck in 2.4Ghz is actually an issue or not.  From what I have seen, from research and from other people that I personally know who have PCs with a 4700MQ, is that this may be the way the processor was designed to work.  This is what I gathered:

1.) I have a friend with an Alienware laptop with the same specs as my z510 except he also has a discrete nVidia graphics card, and I also have a friend that has an HP with basically the same hardware except hers has a slightly lower screen resolution, and both their machined show the same behavior (processor boost up to 2.4Ghz when on battery, but will go to 3.4Ghz on AC power. (although alienware has software that will allow voltage changes/overclocking for the processor to exceed these limits if the user chooses).

2.) apparently, the 4700MQ has a TDP of 47W, and turbo boost of anything past 2.4 GHz exceeds this.  The processor is designed to exceed this, but only for a short time (2.4Ghz is the normal running frequency).  That's why if you run the machine at full CPU load for a long time, it will eventually drop back to 2.4Ghz to get back to that TDP.  The top priority of the processor is to preserve that TDP, and the processor will do everything it can to do this, regardless of power settings, up to and including scaling back the processing frequency.  I think this processor is simply locking at 2.4 Ghz to preserve power when on battery.  

Is there someone out there that has a 4700MQ processor that gets full 3.4 Turbo boost on battery?  I know my test cases are small, since I only have 3 laptops to test (my own, and two of my friends, but they all lock at 2.4 ghz on battery as well).  

Personally, I don't necessarily have a problem with the unit locking at 2.4 on battery.  I honestly think that the unit still runs very snappy and gets the job done, while still easing battery use.  I am not doing anything like playing a game or transcoding video while on my battery.  Mosty I am on a plane watching a movie, or editing documents - that's just me though.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors