Options

16 Posts

06-19-2016

IN

29 Signins

307 Page Views

• Views: 307
  • Message 1 of 8

Recently had a Malware Infection & now I don't have admin access to install/uninstall & shutdown

2017-05-24, 12:44 PM

Hi, 

As mentioned above, I was recently infected with some Malware. I was downloading a crack for a video editing software and it turned out to be an infection. Immediately after that installation a lot of other crap got installed and my browser homepage and search engine changed to an "InitialSite123.com" and just wouldn't change from there. 

Then resorted to my trust Malware Bytes Anti-Malware and it detected lots of issues that I first quarantined and then deleted all the issues. Did the same with all files that could be deleted that poped up because of Bitdefender Total Security 2017. I Googled "InitialSite123.com" and was told to download HitmanPro and Revo Uninstaller to get rid of all applications affected. However, my Google Chrome started experiencing some major problems. Such as: (and IE and Edge would just not open)

- Couldn't see any of the downloads. I didn't even know they were going until I decided to just close the window

and I was prompted that all my downloads would get cancelled.

- Speeddial extension would hang, page would not load.

- I could not uninstall Google and unpin from taskbar (It said I didn't have access for such an operation even though I have only one account on this PC which is the admin account)

After managing to uninstall Google, I still wasn't able to install programs like Revo Uninstaller as I was getting a "Code 5" error about not having access to make changes to the registry (HKEY something). In addition, to get the f8 hotkey for Safe mode to work, I tried using the "bcdedit" commands on command prompt (as Admin) and my request failed and it said Access Denied.

Additionaly, I also got an error message saying that the computer might not have the required permissions to shut down my computer or access the TskMgr, when I tried opening the TskMgr. Clicking on Restart/Shut down would mean that I could use my PC as normal for upto 20 FULL mins after that click following which it started the shutting down, which also tool long. I finally managed to get my laptop on Safe Mode, install all the programs, uninstall the unwanted ones and ran another scan on MBAM HitmanPro, which both came back 100% clean.

There are still a few problems:

- I'm not completely sure that the Malware, or whatever it was that affected my PC, has been completely cleaned out

- My PC is very very slow now. Boot time has greatly gone up and opening of any application or window takes a lot of time (it's lightning fast in safe mode though). It is now a lot slowER that it was before. Even though my PCs is quite old now, 3.5 years, it's still an i7 with 8GB ram and hence should be much faster that what it's at!

- There's a process called "Auhardwaregl" that shows up in my TskMgr that is definitely new and I can'r seem to get rid of. I Googled it and found some other recently, 21st May, posts about it being a virus on some German anti malware websites.

PC Specs:
- Lenovo Y510P (Model No - 20217)
- 8GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GT755M
- Windows 10 Home, Version - 1511
- Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @2.4GHz

Please help.

UPDATE: I seem to have all permission back to normal. Just tried those commands on Command Prompt again and it came back successful. Also, the "auhardwaregl" process is no longer showing up. My PC is still very slow however. 

Solved! See the solution
Options

10773 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

6901 Signins

735289 Page Views

• Views: 735289
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Recently had a Malware Infection & now I don't have admin access to install/uninstall &

2017-05-24, 13:23 PM

Hi ksuthayya,

Welcome to the Community Forums. 

WIth virus/malware attack , it would always leave corrupted system files and scripts running on the background either dormant/idle or just waiting scripts for its trigger. 

Doing system repair and clean boot can help but still. Identify and uninstalling those non familiar processes using revo hunter mode help trackdown malicious processes. Cleaning out your browsers and account from cookies and add on further secures your log in account.

Backing up your personal files would be ideal and using system refresh would be a softer option than a full factory reset to have a fresh system image to start with.

Review your option on what would work best for you.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

16 Posts

06-19-2016

IN

29 Signins

307 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

Re: Recently had a Malware Infection & now I don't have admin access to install/uninstall &

2017-05-25, 16:05 PM

It just came back under a different name. My post on other forums:

My PC was infected with some Malware a couple of days ago and since then I've just been scanning and deleting unwanted programs and software. No matter which anti-virus/anti-malware programs I use to scan and then quarantine and delete the infected files, the **bleep** Mystarting123.com automatically finds its way back to Google Chrome as my default search engine. As long as it's there, it'll continue to infect my PC with other **bleep** and hence I want it out asap.

What I've already tried:
- Malware Bytes Anti-Malware: Have run umpteen scans on safe mode and normal.
- HitmanPro 3 (Free): Same as above
- UnHackMe: Same as above (this was the only one that actually found the mystarting123.com files and I clicked "fix", there was no delete option, but it clearly hasn't been fixed)
- Bitdefender: Mostly useless, but have scanned using it too
- I've used Revo Uninstaller to remove programs

Before, 2 days ago, it was a lot worse. The virus had taken admin access and wouldn't let me install programs, access the task manager or shutdown my PC and enter safe mode. I managed to do all of that, remove most of the nonsense on safe mode but now it's back. Everything I do, every scan I run .. It's always waiting for me in Chrome. (IE and Edge seem unaffected).

Please please help. All the solutions online say download these softwares and run or check for suspicious programs and processes and in the registry and delete, but there's nothing with the same name or something ridiculous that'll make me want to delete it, and I don't want to damage my PC even more by deleting some important registry files. All those guides are frustrating; if I could've simply changed the browser settings and delete files, I would've done so already!

PC Specs:
- Lenovo Y510P (Model No - 20217)
- 8GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GT755M
- Windows 10 Home, Version - 1511
- Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @2.4GHz

My post yesterday on Lenovo forums: Re: Recently had a Malware Infection - Lenovo Community

Please help. I'm desperate now, need my PC work and haven't been able to do much recently.

[Edited by Moderator]

Options

2034 Posts

05-01-2010

US

12475 Signins

144548 Page Views

• Views: 144548
  • Message 4 of 8

2017-05-25, 16:59 PM

Moderator note: Veiled profanity has been removed from your post to comply with the Forum Rules

Have you considered trying a RESET of Windows, thus taking it back to factory settings? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Unfortunately, using multiple tools as you did can also create damage. If I were you, I'd do a clean install of Windows 10.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

16 Posts

06-19-2016

IN

29 Signins

307 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2017-05-25, 17:04 PM

Exactly what I'm contemplating. Already have the media installation on a pen drive as well, created it yesterday when I couldn't even enter safe mode!

Just a few questions regarding a clean install, my personal files and other files on other drives (d, e, f, g etc) except C will  be saved, right?

Options

2034 Posts

05-01-2010

US

12475 Signins

144548 Page Views

• Views: 144548
  • Message 6 of 8

2017-05-25, 17:44 PM

It should not affect another drive. Make sure you know exactly which drive you want to install on.
However, I'd back those files up anyway- assuming they are clean and have not been infected by the malware.

Editing to add some reading for you: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2740833/clean-install-windows-multiple-hard-drives-wiped.html

Options

4297 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

• Views: 610511
  • Message 7 of 8

2017-05-27, 11:47 AM

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Options

16 Posts

06-19-2016

IN

29 Signins

307 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2017-08-21, 12:27 PM

Sorry for not marking the solution earlier and giving an update about this. 

For anyone still experiencing this, Clean Install was my only way out.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete