Eugene, OR

12 Signins

131 Page Views

• Views: 131
  • Message 1 of 2

Reimaging my y530 from backup DVDs

2009-09-02, 22:27 PM

Hi there,

Soon after purchasing my Y530, I decided that Vista was not for me, and I decided to try Ubuntu out instead. After being foiled in my attempts to dual-boot by the partitioning that had arrived on the computer, I decided to wipe the hard drive and just run Ubuntu. As recommended by someone at Lenovo support, I first made a backup image of my hard drive, putting it on 3 dvds.

Ubuntu has been pretty good so far, but I'm a bit worried about compatibility issues (I'm just starting grad school) so I'd like to reinstall Vista and maybe try using wubi, or giving dual-boot another try.

However, when I pop in my first backup dvd and boot from disk, it brings up a one-key recovery page with nothing written in the "Target Partition" field. When I try to start backing up, it says there isn't enough room and it ends there. Do I have to re-format my hard drive before putting in the recovery disk? Do I have to do so in a specific way so the one-key recovery feature can work again?

Please help. Thanks!

--Nick

Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Views: 25103
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Reimaging my y530 from backup DVDs

2009-09-17, 6:29 AM

You have to create NTFS primary partition of size not smaller that it was at the momment of creation backuyp disks first.

Only then it will work.

//help will save the world
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms