Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlaguayojr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,428
Message 1 of 11

Reinstalling Windows 8 from Windows 7

My laptop came shippped with Windows 8 x64 when the OS was first released and i did not enoy my experience with it. A few months later I downgraded from Windows 8 x64 to Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Unfortunately windows 7 is getting slugish and I feel like doing a fresh install of Windows 8.

I am currently a student and I have dreamspark (where I can download OS' for free). Appearantly the keys are locked in the BIOs and the only way they work is to reinstall the Windows 8 version that came with my laptop. I am sad to say that I have no memory of which Windows 8 was installed let alone my key.

tl;dr - Downgraded from preinstalled windows 8 to windows 7 (both x64) and can't upgrade since I dont remember what version of Windows 8 came preinstalled.

Computer - ideapad y510P

Sorry for any inconvenience, first time member here

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,399
Message 2 of 11

Re: Reinstalling Windows 8 from Windows 7

To determine the details about the pre-installed os in your unit download "Personal System Reference" for ideapads and locate the model of your unit. You should be able to know the default version and other feature of the os.

mlaguayojr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,387
Message 3 of 11

@LenBlazer wrote:

To determine the details about the pre-installed os in your unit download "Personal System Reference" for ideapads and locate the model of your unit. You should be able to know the default version and other feature of the os.

Figured out how to go into Bios and looked around. Found out my SN YB0099230 and its claims my version is "Win 8 STD MLT". Im assuming this is "Windows 8 standard multilanguage". My problem is getting an ISO for this

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,378
Message 4 of 11

Referring to the user guide and hardware maintenance manual a copy of the os from the factory is in a hidden folder in the hdd and can be reinstalled through OKR. However, based on your statement you have move from Win 8 to Win 7. I just don't know if during the transisition the partition where the os is supposed to be is erase or not. If erased then your option to obtain a copy is through Lenovo by inquiring about their Recovery Disc sets.

Re OS version and feature the one in the reference manual is more detail than what you learn from the bios.

mlaguayojr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,371
Message 5 of 11

Not quite sure if I have that partition still. I still see the option in the bios, but im confident that I removed every partition

RafiSaputra
Punch Card
Views: 1,362
Message 6 of 11

@LenBlazer
Can you tell me how to Request the Recovery Disc ?
mlaguayojr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,357
Message 7 of 11

Call the software department. The will do it for you (via credit card payment, its like $65)

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,347
Message 8 of 11

@RafiSaputra:

I'm not sure if you have a Lenovo branch in Indonesia. What I do know is that there is a Lenovo Philippines which is just a neighbor to yours. Try inquiring from computer stores in your area.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,345
Message 9 of 11

Indonesia THINK-branded products English, Bahasa Indonesia +1-803-442-425
+62 213-002-1090 (Standard Charges Apply)
8:30AM - 5:30PM
Monday - Friday
IDEA-branded and
B, C, E, G, H, K, N, Q, V, Y Series Products
English, Bahasa Indonesia +1-803-442-173 (Toll Free)
+62 213-002-1090 (Standard Charges Apply)
8:30AM - 5:30PM
Monday - Friday
9AM - 3PM
Saturday

(this is a bit of a thread hijack....)

HTH,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

RafiSaputra
Punch Card
Views: 1,333
Message 10 of 11

OMG thank you so much for your respond guys ...
i'll try to contact them XD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors