Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackL0cke
Blue Screen Again
Views: 935
Message 1 of 2

Remove all unused partitions in Y500

Hi All,

Few days back I got my Y500. It has 1Tb of HDD. Now if I go to disk management I can see that there are number of smaller unused partitions which shows 100% free. But they are of different types like Recovery Partition, OEM Partition, Primary Partition. I have included image below and also have marked partitions that I want to delete.

link to image

In older days of XP and 7, when ever I had bought new machine I used to just delete all partitions and create new ones and install my own OS in it but with this Y500 it looks like that Win8 license is embedded into Bios itself so not sure if I can just blow everything up and use my OS.

So I am asking here if anyone can suggest out of these partitions which ones I can safely remove and repurpose empty space.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

image(s) >50k converted to the link(s)

Tinderbox_UK
Broadband 3G
Views: 924
Message 2 of 2

Re: Remove all unused partitions in Y500

I would not mess with it, Windows 8 with secure boot and uefi is not to be messed with, unless you have a cloned copy of you hdd to experiment with.

I use the free partition wizard, to create a boot dvd of itself so i can delete and expand partions in Win7 but i dont know with Win8 as secure boot and uefi make things a lot more complicated, that`s why i retuned my Win8 notebook and bought the Win7 version while i could.

John.

Win7 Lenovo Ideapad Z580 i5-3210m HD4000 Win7 x64 8gb 1600MHz Samsung 830 256GB SSD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors