Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doubleblind
What's DOS?
Views: 588
Message 1 of 3

Replace Lenovo Y50 Hard Drive

Hello, 

I want to replace the 500GB/24GB Hybrid Hard drive that came stock with my Lenovo Y50 to something with a bigger storage capacity, as I've already filled the 500 GB C drive. 

My computer runs Windows 8.1 that came installed on the computer, and I want to make sure when I replace the hard drive that I can reinstall Windows, becuase we aren't provided with a backup copy of this version of Windows with the computer. 

Do I have to use a cloning program to successfully complete the switch? I've made a backup of my system in OneKey Recovery but I don't know if I can use this backup directly from my external hard drive to put onto my new hard drive? 

I'm not the most technologically literate, as you can probably tell, but I have some working knowledge. I just don't want to screw this up! Please help with plain language instructions! 

Thanks!

Sarah

bsully27
Punch Card
Views: 574
Message 2 of 3

Re: Replace Lenovo Y50 Hard Drive

I am also wondering thism but some of the hard drives I have been looking at on Amazon come with clonijng software for you to do this. It's what I will probably use

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 566
Message 3 of 3

Re: Replace Lenovo Y50 Hard Drive

@doubleblind wrote:

Hello, 

I want to replace the 500GB/24GB Hybrid Hard drive that came stock with my Lenovo Y50 to something with a bigger storage capacity, as I've already filled the 500 GB C drive. 

My computer runs Windows 8.1 that came installed on the computer, and I want to make sure when I replace the hard drive that I can reinstall Windows, becuase we aren't provided with a backup copy of this version of Windows with the computer. 

Do I have to use a cloning program to successfully complete the switch? I've made a backup of my system in OneKey Recovery but I don't know if I can use this backup directly from my external hard drive to put onto my new hard drive? 

I'm not the most technologically literate, as you can probably tell, but I have some working knowledge. I just don't want to screw this up! Please help with plain language instructions! 

Thanks!

Sarah

You can use the cloning program of the manufacturer of the replacement SSHD. Do not delete anything in the old SSHD. With the new SSHD in place of the old SSHD, Examine by running if OKR will still function (backup and restoring). Try using the NOVO button for the recovery process. If the test is successfull, then you are done with your replacement. If the test failed, then you have to use other procedure being discussed in the forum.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors