Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kazz
Paper Tape
Views: 354
Message 1 of 8

Reverting Y570 To Factory Installed Win7

I would like to revert my son's Y570 to factory configuration.  It seems that using the included utilities backs up the current windows configuration, data, etc. and requires many CDs/DVDs.  Is there a utililty, set of ISOs, or something accessible from the laptop to wipe & re-install?

I'm going to replace the HD with an SSD and want to start from scratch.  The current installation has way too much crap, a bad profile, etc.  So some kind of ISO would be best so I can uninstall the HD, install the SSD, and boot from the optical drive (or USB key) and go.

Thanks!

2 i7-based Y570 Ideapads
Kazz
Paper Tape
Views: 337
Message 2 of 8

Re: Reverting Y570 To Factory Installed Win7

Anyone?

2 i7-based Y570 Ideapads
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 334
Message 3 of 8

I think you are stuck at those DVDs and CDs. There are no iso's available. Refer to your user guide and hardware maintenance manual on how to use those discs.

Kazz
Paper Tape
Views: 333
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for replying, Len.

I would think then, as I'm upgrading to an SSD, that the first step is to duplicate the drive on the SSD with appropriate tools (supplied by SSD mfr. or something like Todo Backup).  Then create the discs, replace the HD with the SSD, and then press the OneKey button.  Apparently I'm asked as to whether I would like to restore a backup or install the factory Windows image.

Sound right?

2 i7-based Y570 Ideapads
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 324
Message 5 of 8

@Kazz wrote:

Thanks for replying, Len.

I would think then, as I'm upgrading to an SSD, that the first step is to duplicate the drive on the SSD with appropriate tools (supplied by SSD mfr. or something like Todo Backup).  Then create the discs, replace the HD with the SSD, and then press the OneKey button.  Apparently I'm asked as to whether I would like to restore a backup or install the factory Windows image.

Sound right?

One onstacle that I can see if you are going to replace the hdd is the backup program OKR. You might be able to transfer the operating system but OKR might not be working anymore. I'm not sure if those DVDs/CDs will be able to restore it.

Kazz
Paper Tape
Views: 322
Message 6 of 8

I'm guessing there's nobody at Lenovo that's going to answer that question without having me pay, correct?  I'm just going to have to give it a try?

I'd just like to retain the OEM Windows License.  Otherwise, I need a new Windows License and ISO and do a clean install.

2 i7-based Y570 Ideapads
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 316
Message 7 of 8

@Kazz wrote:

I'm guessing there's nobody at Lenovo that's going to answer that question without having me pay, correct?  I'm just going to have to give it a try?

I'd just like to retain the OEM Windows License.  Otherwise, I need a new Windows License and ISO and do a clean install.

If that is what you are after of (OEM Windows with License) the cloning program that comes with the ssd might be able to do it for you.

Kazz
Paper Tape
Views: 313
Message 8 of 8

True enough. You'd think Lenovo would want us to put their factory image on but it's obviously not easy of the HD goes south.

Thanks for helping!

2 i7-based Y570 Ideapads

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors