Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
najodleglejszy
Token Ring
Views: 29,833
Message 1 of 14

[SOLVED!] Z580 - can't enter BIOS

I solved the problem and the solution is on the bottom of the post

hi all. my machine is Lenovo Z580 with Windows 7.

some time ago I accidentally installed Linux Mint on my whole HDD, so all the partitions and files (including recovery partition) were erased. I then installed back Windows 7 and partitioned the HDD.

however, since the incident, I'm unable to enter BIOS. I'd like to change boot sequence, because the laptop wants to boot from network, displays an error, and then boots from HDD and Windows 7 starts. I can access boot manager with F12 during boot, and the entries are (those aren't the exact names of course, except the first one):

1. ubuntu <- yes, that's how it's called. I guess it's a remnant of Linux Mint installation

2. booting from network

3. booting from HDD

4. booting from DVD

5. booting from USB

I tried the following things:

1. pressing F2 at boot. it used to work before the incident, now the laptop ignores it and proceeds to attempting boot from network, displays an error, and then boots from HDD.

2. using Novo button instead of power button, then choosing "BIOS setup" option - the laptop still proceeds to boot OR displays black screen and need to be shut down

3. removing boot entries using Ubuntu via USB stick (http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/z580-can-t-access-bios-setup-or-boot-menu-a... - I can't remove any entry, because after using

>efibootmgr -v

no list appears, and when I enter

>efibootmgr -B -b 001

or any other number, I get an error that the entry wasn't found.

I can't flash BIOS because Lenovo didn't provide the necessary file for this model. I also can't sent the laptop to repair because my warranty period ended two months ago.

I'd be grateful if anyone came up with a solution.

----------

so, I flashed the file attached here: http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic2452833.html and everything works now! the "ubuntu" entry has been automatically deleted and I was able to access BIOS and change the boot order.

BEFORE INSTALLING!!!

write down MAC address of your LAN card, because it'll get deleted after BIOS update!

1. press windows key+R, type

cmd

and press Enter

2. in the opened command window, type

ipconfig /all

and press Enter, find the entry regarding your Ethernet connection and write down the physical address

3. flash BIOS update

4. after reboot follow this guide: http://www.addictiveblogs.com/how-to-change-mac-address-windows-7-windows-8/

najodleglejszy
Token Ring
Views: 30,214
Message 2 of 14

Re: Z580 - can't enter BIOS

najodleglejszy
Token Ring
Views: 29,763
Message 3 of 14

so, I flashed the file attached here: http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic2452833.html and everything works now! the "ubuntu" entry has been automatically deleted and I was able to access BIOS and change the boot order.

BEFORE INSTALLING!!!

write down MAC address of your LAN card, because it'll get deleted after BIOS update!

1. press windows key+R, type

cmd

and press Enter

2. in the opened command window, type

ipconfig /all

and press Enter, find the entry regarding your Ethernet connection and write down the physical address

3. flash BIOS update

4. after reboot follow this guide: http://www.addictiveblogs.com/how-to-change-mac-address-windows-7-windows-8/

glidding
What's DOS?
Views: 29,221
Message 4 of 14

Hello all,

In case you didn't see - Lenovo have finally released a new BIOS for the Z580. This fixes the accessing bios issues and allows you to disable secure boot etc.

Not bad after saying that no BIOS updates would be available.

If you still have trouble you can obtain a single file version of the bios that works as well (use google) but you will need to use the pheonix UEFI flashing tool.

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in

fabiomartin2006
Paper Tape
Views: 28,918
Message 5 of 14

I see a bios update for win 8 will it work on win 8.1 ?? 

najodleglejszy
Token Ring
Views: 28,910
Message 6 of 14

so I just updated the BIOS with the file available on Lenovo's site. my Z580 didn't want to boot after flashing the first file. in case someone has got the same problem:

1. turn off your laptop

2. remove the battery and the power cord

3. insert the power cord back in (do not insert the battery back)

4. hold insert key and press the power key (still holding Insert)

5. be patient, a grey popup should appear, asking you to choose the device you want to boot from (HDD, CD, USB etc.); don't choose anything, just

6. press Tab, and select Setup. the BIOS options will appear

7. scroll to Advanced (if I remember correctly), and switch boot type from UEFI to Legacy

8. save changes and exit. you'll be able to boot in Legacy mode.

I can't make my Z580 boot in UEFI mode though. when I switch back to UEFI in BIOS options, the laptop stays on black screen and I have to do a force shutdown.

najodleglejszy
Token Ring
Views: 28,907
Message 7 of 14

I also noticed that the laptop has got more brightness levels than previously, but the on screen indicator still shows 10 levels - so after the indicator reaches level 10, I can still make the screen brighter. weird.

ldmiller51
Paper Tape
Views: 28,581
Message 8 of 14

Is there any chance Lenovo might provide this bios update as an .ISO file like they do for the majority of their machines?  Have removed Windows 8 in favor of Arch linux, and there is no way to use these .EXE files

Praveen_k
Punch Card
Views: 26,241
Message 9 of 14

LENOVO Z580 HINGES PROBLEM

Hi All

I bought this lenovo z580 laptop on 28 July 2012.  Now i got Hinges problem, when i tried to find solution for this on this website i came to know that many are facing same problem here.  I called lenovo support they are saying the hinges problem is not covered under the warranty. 

Since many Z580 users facing same problem. It is definatly build quality issue with this series of laptop. So lenovo should respond to this and try to resolve customer issues on this regard.

najodleglejszy
Token Ring
Views: 26,234
Message 10 of 14

Re: LENOVO Z580 HINGES PROBLEM

hi! first, you should create a new thread rather than hicjacking another one. it'll boost your post's visibility (and will prevent off-topic in this thread!). second, Lenovo warranty does cover loose hinges, I had them fixed in my previous machine, Y550. the problem is, your warranty period is over, as Lenovo warranty is valid for 2 years only.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors