Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Knbai
Punch Card
Views: 443
Message 1 of 2

SSD, HDD caddy, reinstalling Windows 8.

Hello.

Seeing it doesn't seem like Lenovo will dish out a GT755M ultrabay anytime soon ( ... ), and I don't really feel like getting a M.2 SSD even though I have the connector soldered onto my mainboard ( availability of those in Europe is barely zilch, and I'm not fond of ordering across the pond ), I've decided to grab a normal SSD and grab a HDD caddy with which I'll replace DVD/RW ( I use optical drive once per 2 months ), keep Windows on SSD and connected to mainboard at all times, while keeping files on HDD, allowing me to swap it out with a DVD/RW ( or a GT755M to play a graphically intensive game, if they ever get around of making those available for purchase, yet alone in Europe, hilarious.. ).

Anyhow.

I'm probably purchasing following SSD :

http://www.links.hr/?naziv=ssd-120-0-kingston-v-200-sata3-2-5-svp200s37a120g-maks-do-535-460-mb-s&op...

And I'm probably purchasing following HDD caddy :

http://www.links.hr/artikl-016.024.006

- I'm wondering whether y510p meets the industry standard so this caddy is applicable on it, and whether I can or can not mount the Lenovo outer casing on it ( same one which is mounted on the DVDRW drive ).

- How will I get around installing Win8 ? I heard that all Lenovos that come shipped with Win8 have a Windows CD key built inside BIOS, meaning I just need to grab a .ISO from Microsoft's site and go ahead and install it. Also, I'm running Windows 7 currently, will there be any things I'll need to change from within the BIOS ?

Thanks in advance for help.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 410
Message 2 of 2

Re: SSD, HDD caddy, reinstalling Windows 8.

hi Knbai,

With the upgrade you have in mind, this is definitely doable. You may also want to take a look at the product below as it looks promising in using the stock HDD in the ODD bay.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p HDD Caddy

In transferring the stock OS to another drive , the ideal way is to clone/migrate it (i.e. via Paragon Backup & Recovery 12 Home free trial). If the destination drive is not big enough, you can also try to clean install using a Windows 8 ISO (activate windows by phone if necessary).

In addition, If you have installed Windows 7 in legacy mode, you don't need to change anything in the BIOS if you intend to install Windows 8 in legacy mode.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors