cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
volumnus
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎06-05-2013
Location: USA
Views: 728
Message 1 of 10

Samsung 840 120GB vs Crucial MSATA 256GB MSATA

I am a constant tweaker. I bought a Y500 with 16gb of ram and the core i7. It came with a 1TB hard drive and a 16gb cache drive. I replaced the MSATA cache drive with a Crucial M4 256 GB msata drive and reinstalled the OS. I was using the 1TB drive for storage. The Crucial msata drive gave me a nice performance boost. I ordered a 120GB Samsung 840 SSD for use in another machine. The machine is old and doesn't pass through trim commands, so eventually the drive would have slowed down. I decided to replace the 1TB hard drive in my Y500 with the Samsung 840 120GB drive and to reinstall the OS on it. Even though the published read and write speeds on the Samsung SSD are slightly slower than the Crucial MSATA SSD, the Samsung 840 is noticeably faster. I'm using the 256GB MSATA drive as my storage drive. It's a good set-up. It's light and cool.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 710
Message 2 of 10

Re: Samsung 840 120GB vs Crucial MSATA 256GB MSATA


@volumnus wrote:
I am a constant tweaker. I bought a Y500 with 16gb of ram and the core i7. It came with a 1TB hard drive and a 16gb cache drive. I replaced the MSATA cache drive with a Crucial M4 256 GB msata drive and reinstalled the OS. I was using the 1TB drive for storage. The Crucial msata drive gave me a nice performance boost. I ordered a 120GB Samsung 840 SSD for use in another machine. The machine is old and doesn't pass through trim commands, so eventually the drive would have slowed down. I decided to replace the 1TB hard drive in my Y500 with the Samsung 840 120GB drive and to reinstall the OS on it. Even though the published read and write speeds on the Samsung SSD are slightly slower than the Crucial MSATA SSD, the Samsung 840 is noticeably faster. I'm using the 256GB MSATA drive as my storage drive. It's a good set-up. It's light and cool.

So what's your purpose in writing this post?

volumnus
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎06-05-2013
Location: USA
Views: 688
Message 3 of 10

Re: Samsung 840 120GB vs Crucial MSATA 256GB MSATA

To share my experience with two possible upgrades to the Y500. Maybe somebody is looking at one of the two options, and my observation will be valuable to them. Good enough for you?
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 676
Message 4 of 10

Re: Samsung 840 120GB vs Crucial MSATA 256GB MSATA


@volumnus wrote:
To share my experience with two possible upgrades to the Y500. Maybe somebody is looking at one of the two options, and my observation will be valuable to them. Good enough for you?

I'd like to make the folowing suggestions: If you can include some test results using some of the avaialble utlities it will make your post more attractive to other members of the community. A quote from some sites specializing in ssd reviews and tests might also help like http://www.ssdreview.com. I'll add another site later on, right now I'm test driving Windows 8.1 Preview's Internet Explorer and I can't remember the url of the site.

 

Ok here's the other site: http//www.thessdreview.com.

volumnus
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎06-05-2013
Location: USA
Views: 665
Message 5 of 10

Re: Samsung 840 120GB vs Crucial MSATA 256GB MSATA

I am testing Windows 8.1 on one of my desktops. One of the ways it's different than 8 is it isn't as easy to access the Windows Experience utility. Speaking of, the Crucial msata drive scored 8.1 and the Samsung scored 7.9. on Windows 8. However, the start up time with the Samsung sata drive is consistently 2 seconds faster than the Crucial msata drive. BTW, be careful with defrag on 8.1. It doesn't auto recognize SSD's yet. You need to do a WEI command from the command prompt as an administrator. You don't want it to defrag your SSD. It will actually defrag, not just optimize it!
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 653
Message 6 of 10

Re: Samsung 840 120GB vs Crucial MSATA 256GB MSATA


@volumnus wrote:
I am testing Windows 8.1 on one of my desktops. One of the ways it's different than 8 is it isn't as easy to access the Windows Experience utility. Speaking of, the Crucial msata drive scored 8.1 and the Samsung scored 7.9. on Windows 8. However, the start up time with the Samsung sata drive is consistently 2 seconds faster than the Crucial msata drive. BTW, be careful with defrag on 8.1. It doesn't auto recognize SSD's yet. You need to do a WEI command from the command prompt as an administrator. You don't want it to defrag your SSD. It will actually defrag, not just optimize it!

Re Windows 8.1: I learned that the Experience index is removed but it can still be run through the winsat command. There are others that are removed and they are listed in this link. I haven't tried the defragment process yet. Since it is still in preview I'm not going to do it in my ssd.

volumnus
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎06-05-2013
Location: USA
Views: 623
Message 7 of 10

Re: Samsung 840 120GB vs Crucial MSATA 256GB MSATA

True. 8.1 is set to defrag automatically once a week or something by default, so you have to manually turn it off if you have an SSD. Having an SSD as a storage drive is cool due to the speed when you move something to storage from the primary drove. The drawback of course is the amount of space. Still, with network drives all over the house, I can live with 300gb ( the amount left over after installing all my programs).
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 598
Message 8 of 10

Re: Samsung 840 120GB vs Crucial MSATA 256GB MSATA


@volumnus wrote:
True. 8.1 is set to defrag automatically once a week or something by default, so you have to manually turn it off if you have an SSD. Having an SSD as a storage drive is cool due to the speed when you move something to storage from the primary drove. The drawback of course is the amount of space. Still, with network drives all over the house, I can live with 300gb ( the amount left over after installing all my programs).

Going into the defragmentation and optimize menu I realized that there is no defragment task option but only optimize task. Comparing with win 8 they are the same. The "don't defrag" advice for ssd still holds.

volumnus
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎06-05-2013
Location: USA
Views: 581
Message 9 of 10

Re: Samsung 840 120GB vs Crucial MSATA 256GB MSATA

Only if the SSD was installed before Windows 8.1 in my case. I added an SSD age afyer upgrading, and 8.1 defragged it. It has happened to a lot of folks. Google it.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 573
Message 10 of 10

Re: Samsung 840 120GB vs Crucial MSATA 256GB MSATA


@volumnus wrote:
Only if the SSD was installed before Windows 8.1 in my case. I added an SSD age afyer upgrading, and 8.1 defragged it. It has happened to a lot of folks. Google it.

Yes. I never do any defrag even when I'm in seven. Switching to 8 and now testing 8.1 I I only use optimize on schedule but not defrag.

Check out current deals!


Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors