Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BlazeAxtrius
Punch Card
Views: 483
Message 1 of 15

Screen blinking when i put in the ac adapter

So i bought a lenovo laptop 2 weeks ago. I was all working fine until 1 week ago the screen started blinking.

At first I thought it was the drivers but after reinstalling like a million drivers nothing changed.

Then I thought it was the screens fault and that maybe it is jsut broken.

After that tho I removed the charging cable and everything fixed. There was no blinking. When I put it in again, it statrted blinking.

How can I fix this and what is the problem?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 460
Message 2 of 15

Re: Screen blinking when i put in the ac adapter

Not sure what model of computer you have and what operating system?

Try uninstalling the Lenovo Power Manager or Lenovo Energy Management, reboot the computer and then install a fresh copy.  Then see if the problem returns. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

BlazeAxtrius
Punch Card
Views: 456
Message 3 of 15

My laptop is lenovo y50-70 with windows 8.1(64 bit).

I reinstalled the energy manager about 3 times and also tried with intel driver update utility so I sure that I have the lastest version.

I updated my BIOS, all my nvidia drivers. I tried all battery settings but nothing has worked so far.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 445
Message 4 of 15

Try booting into Windows Safe mode and see if the problem occurs there.  If it does, with all you have tried to do, I would recommend you contact Lenovo Support for additional warranty assistance.

Lenovo Support - Bulgaria

359-2-9632914
9:00 - 18:00 Monday - Friday

If you purchased the laptop locally, you might see what the retailer's return policy is and if they will swap the laptop for another. That would eliminate having to send it in and the loss of use while it is being serviced.

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

BlazeAxtrius
Punch Card
Views: 440
Message 5 of 15

So i booted it in Safe mode.

I left the laptop to work for about 20 minutes with the cable attached and I didn't see any blinking. I removed the charger and after 5 minutes i plugged it in again to see if it will start. It didn't .

I also forgot to mention that when I deleted both the Intel HD Graphics driver and the Nvidia driver. I was left with the Microsoft basic display adapter which seemed to not have a problem with blinking.

I just noticed that when i start the laptop it stays on a black screen for about 1-2 minutes before starting. I don't if that is in any way related to the current issue tho. It seems that it was the cooling fans fault. I removed it from the usb and the laptop started instantly. That didn't fix the blinking issue tho.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 430
Message 6 of 15

If the blinking is not occurring in Safe Mode when the Microsoft Display Driver is being used then I suspect your problem is related to either the Intel or Nvidia driver.  Have you tried going directly to the Intel and Nvidia websites and downloading the latest driver from there?

Your delay in boot was related to the cooling fans as you found out.  During boot up the system will poll all the hardware to see what is connected.  In your situation the system has a difficult time trying to figure out what the fans were so it finally timed out and continued booting.

BlazeAxtrius
Punch Card
Views: 427
Message 7 of 15

I used the intel driver update utility that updated my intel hd graphics driver to the newest version. It did say that it failed while it was installing but after the reboot it said that it is the latest version in the Device manager. I had the blinking before that so even if it FAILED like the program said it doesn't really change much.

About the Nvidia I tried the 345 driver, the 352 or something like that(its the latest beta version) and I still have the problem.

Also the Graphics control panel is crashing every time I try to change something which might be related to the problem.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 425
Message 8 of 15

Not sure about the Intel graphics driver, but the NVidia drivers can be troublesome to uninstall sometimes.  If there are remnants left over from previous versions that can create problems.  If the graphics control panel you are referring to is for NVidia it might all be related.

Use the free program called Driver Sweeper to clean your system totally of the NVidia drivers before installing a fresh copy and see if it makes a difference.  You can download that program here....

http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

BlazeAxtrius
Punch Card
Views: 421
Message 9 of 15

I just uninstalled both nvidia and intel hd graphics driver. I am left now with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. It blinked once and installed the Intel HD Graphics driver on its own?????????

I will use the sweeper and clean the laptop. And then install the drivers from the sites.

The Intel HD Graphics Control Panel is crashing, the Nvidia one is wroking fine.

I will post results when I am finished.

Edit 1:I went in safe mode and uninstalled both the intel and nvidia drivers.

I installed the intel hd graphics driver and it seems that there is no blinking. The control panel is still crashing tho.

BlazeAxtrius
Punch Card
Views: 410
Message 10 of 15

Ok so I installed the Nvidia driver and it started doing in again. The blinking began.

Which driver is best to install. I tried the 353 and the 345 drivers but nothing changes.

Also for some reason when I click F5 or any other function button the laptop thinks that I am clicking the FN+F5 thing. Seems like the FN button is stuck or something.

Before I had to clikc FN and F5 to turn airplane mode on but not I just have to click the F5 buton to do that and if i click the FN+F5 it acts as a refresh. What is happening here??? NVM I figured it out.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors