Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Community Spotlight

Visit the Community Blog

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Screen on Ideapad Y530 shuts off or goes extremely dark

I have a fairly new (3 month old) Lenovo ideapad Y530.

My laptop screen will occassionally (anywhere from a few times per day to a few times per week) go completly black or get too dim to read anything on the screen. In the past closing the laptop lid for a few seconds and then opening it again fixed it, but that fix is becoming less and less reliable. 

Sometimes if I open the lid slowly the screen will flicker on for a second and then go black again.

Since I have had this computer the screen shuts off during boot up and then goes extremely dim during the login until you click the mouse, I assumed this was normal or not a big deal.

I was doing searches for this problem in the forum and I noticed someone talking about how it happened when they moved it and my experience is beginning to corroborate that though I don't feel there is a conclusive link yet. Unfortunately on subsequent searches of this forum I could not find the post. 

The power management settings appear to have no effect. It happens no matter what power mode I am in nor does it matter if I am plugged in or not. I set my screen to never turn off if I was plugged in on high performace and it still happened.

It does not appear to be a heat issue either as it has turned off mere minutes into a fairly low intensity session.

I went to the Lenovo support site for display drivers, but it says that the driver they have posted is older than the one I have currently installed.

The rest of the computer functions normally when the screen goes off, videos play, music stays on, documents stay open, etc.

I don't wish to be a bother but I am at a national debate tournament and I use my laptop to track the rounds. The tournament starts tomorrow and if my screen goes off again it will be disasterous. Please help. 

Nathan

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Re: Screen on Ideapad Y530 shuts off or goes extremely dark

What is the intensity/brightness level setting on your screen?

Regards

Dr. Khan