07-02-2011

missouri

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 18

Screen wouldn't turn on stayed black?

2011-07-02, 16:21 PM

I usually just leave my laptop on overnight, and it just goes to sleep/hibernation mode then. But when i went to go turn on my laptop, you can see the lights on my laptop turn on but the screen stayed black.

What could have possibly happened?/what can i do to fix it

Solved! See the solution
Options

2126 Posts

07-14-2009

USA

4807 Signins

93056 Page Views

• Views: 93056
  • Message 2 of 18

Re: Screen wouldn't turn on stayed black?

2011-07-03, 0:17 AM
If you have not already:

Hold power button down to turn laptop off.
Unplug, and remove battery.
Hold down power button for ~ 30 seconds.
Re-plug, without battery and see if you can boot
to bios setup. (F1 or F2 key at lenovo screen)
If so, shut down again, and replace battery.
Boot and see what windows does.

And post the details of your laptop, model,
and OS. (operating system)

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1 Posts

01-02-2012

Houston, TX

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 3 of 18

2012-01-02, 6:11 AM

Thank you for your post. I tried your advice and worked !!!!!!   :smileywink:

Options

2126 Posts

07-14-2009

USA

4807 Signins

93056 Page Views

• Views: 93056
  • Message 4 of 18

2012-01-02, 15:58 PM
Glad it worked for You, now I wonder
what ever happened to the OP?

And, Welcome quark2010!
Options

1 Posts

02-06-2014

Ch

11 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 5 of 18

2014-02-06, 20:18 PM
I have the same problem.

You should hold down the power button for 30 seconds when the laptop is off, without battery and unplugged? Or do I get it wrong.

Also what do you mean the last step with replace battery, getting a new battery?

(It happened to me after hibernating, I usually was never using battery but just plugged in, it's a new lenovo with windows 7)
Options

103 Posts

12-01-2013

Toronto

366 Signins

1585 Page Views

• Views: 1585
  • Message 6 of 18

2014-02-07, 5:48 AM
mynewsis - He means to plug it back in
Options

1 Posts

01-21-2016

udaipur,rajasthan,india

3 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 7 of 18

2016-01-21, 3:50 AM
I am having the same problem with my Lenovo laptop z50 with Windows 10 after updating my antivirus ,it is showing the bios setup bt how to boot?
Options

1 Posts

02-23-2017

IN

1 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 8 of 18

2017-02-23, 0:55 AM

Recently, I update BIOS in my laptop. But it not fully update. After I restart Laptop, It cannot ON. Only Blank screen occurs in my laptop. Any one help me. Now my laptop never boot. I press the Power button fan ON but Laptop screen is blank.

Options

15 Posts

04-20-2017

CA

25 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 9 of 18

2017-04-25, 22:36 PM
I have tried many (crazy) things. NO solution.

I suspect replacing/reprogramming the BIOS chip on the motherboard is only solution possible.

My thread:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/BIOS-v40-flash-failed-on-Lenovo-Z410-No-boot-screen-blank/m-p/3647964
Options

2 Posts

05-28-2017

US

2 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 10 of 18

2017-05-28, 13:36 PM

Six years since you posted this but it worked perfectly for me. Thank you!

Options

12 Posts

05-29-2017

CA

9 Signins

96 Page Views

• Views: 96
  • Message 11 of 18

2017-05-29, 2:11 AM

I am having the exact same problem.

Recently my Lenovo Y50-70 laptop suddenly started acting weird right after Windows 10 update. It got worse a couple weeks later after a May 2017 Windows 10 Anniversary update. So I updated the graphics drivers and ever since then my laptop will take hours to boot up.

I changed the power settings so it does not go into sleep mode as that was the first issue I noticed when issues started - it would go to sleep or hibernate and would not come back without hard start. I turned off the screen saver, changed power settings so that screen & laptop wont hibernate or sleep. Made sure Windows Updates all up to date.

Tried to Skype to take a peek before removing it but it wont open and I got a message saying "Cant be opened using the Built-In Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again." I have no idea what that means. There is only the one account on here and only I use this laptop.

If that was as bad as it got I could deal with this but...

Last night I was trying to backup everything and eventually fell asleep waiting for reboot to kick in. The OS was booted up when I woke up this morning and I decided to restart it after my backup to external drive failed........ bad decision on my part there as I have spent last 12 hrs trying to get this stupid thing into Safe Mode, or BIOS or even just regular start up. Nothing. As of 9am today I can not even get it to boot at all it just keeps running, lights on, fan spinning but nothing happening on screen.

The graphics drivers on this laptop are Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 & Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M. I am 99.99% positive that the Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M driver is the problem but can not get back into OS in order to disable it and I am hoping someone on here can help me do that. Or even help me just get in to it to reinstall the entire OS which I have already had to do last year when this laptop was a few months old - which Lenovo on the phone helped me with but ended up costing $180 US to get them to send me Windows 8.1 OS on USB and do the reinstall with a few days of phone support. 3 days I believe it was and I was on phone with Lenovo from 9am-8pm for each of those 3 days before they were able to figure out how to reinstall the OS AND have it function. That was the only other time there were problems, which started immediately after Windows 10 upgrade.

These problems now all started immediately after Windows 10 Anniversary update and are getting worse with each update after that.

I tried running recovery disk DVD through DVD SlimDrive attached via USB to get in and Troubleshoot or get to Device Manager -  I made it before this happened - but laptop wont detect it. Maybe it would if I could get into BIOS and tell it to boot from USB but cant figure out how to make that happen with Black Screen o' Death dancing around here.

I installed an Intel graphics driver update yesterday - it seems to have made things even worse and taken the startup time from 10-40 minutes to 1-3 hours. I rolled back the graphics drivers - both Intel & Nvidia GeForce. Didnt solve anything. An error message on Nvidia comes up when I run the Lenovo Solutions Center.

I made a Windows 10 recovery USB this afternoon on another computer which is also Windows 10 64 bit - did this using the Microsoft Windows Tools to Create Installation Media on USB to Install on Another Computer and I have that on an 8G USB but when I pop that into Y50-70 USB and hit power, it wont boot from it. The lights are all on, the keyboard is lit up, the fan is whirring, the lights are on showing it is running, occasionally get a beep sound when I pull out the power cord, but all I am getting is this Black Screen.

Does anyone have any thoughts around the Microsoft Installation Media Creation tool vs Rufus?

I have not let it run for 3hrs solid today as I have tried restarting many times. Tried 3x in a row and tried waiting periods of time between restarts. The battery is built in so I can not pop it out (why Lenovo would you do such a thing really). I YouTube'd a video on taking the battery out and fixing this Black Screen issue but it involved a screw driver and taking apart a bunch of the insides and there is not a chance I am going to attempt such a thing ever.

Right now I have it on without the power cord and am hoping to drain the battery to zero in a last hope effort to possibly maybe (?) kick this thing into some default boot mode?

The Novo button does not work at all. I believe it never did as I seem to recall during the previous OS issue that required complete reinstall, accessing the BIOS menu took hours. I can not access ..... hmmmm wait a sec ... as I am typing this I am seeing the Lenovo screen come on with the little round circle of spinning dots below it.

Alright so it is on, OS is up and running but I do not think turning this off or rebooting is a wise move. Hopefully someone out there can shed some light on this issue and how to solve it. I am thinking it best I leave it on indefinitely at this point or until it implodes.

Should I install the Creators update?

Should I reinstall Win 8.1, do the updates, reinstall Win 10 upgrade, do the updates, graphics driver updates too and hope it works?

Just reinstall Windows 10 upgrade?

Uninstall the graphics drivers & reinstall them up to date?

Disable the Nvidia GeForce driver?

or

Get a sledgehammer and go all Office Space on this laptop?

With countless posts all over the internet on Lenovo and this black screen issue, why has Lenovo not published a comprehensive manual on the many possibilities that could be the issue, since it appears to be a common one.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated - my apologies for the frustration.

Mod's Comment: Please do not start multiple posts on same issue as this only splinters the discussion. Instead, keep your current discussion updated with any additional information. Your duplicate has been removed. Thanks !

Options

2 Posts

05-28-2017

US

2 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 12 of 18

2017-05-29, 14:30 PM

Hi Maiden, I'm sorry but I'm not tech savy at all so I don't think I can help you. The 'black screen' problem I had was on the E545 ThinkPad.  It would start up but the monitor/screen remained black.  I followed the solution posted by "Duck3" in 2009.  I did each step in the order posted and although I'm not capable of understanding the 'why' of it, that did take care of the problem.  My ThinkPad is working just fine now.

Options

4297 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

• Views: 610511
  • Message 13 of 18

2017-05-29, 2:11 AM

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Options

4297 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

• Message 14 of 18

2017-05-29, 14:32 PM

dupli-jack.  member has own thread.

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Options

12 Posts

05-29-2017

CA

9 Signins

96 Page Views

• Views: 96
  • Message 15 of 18

2017-05-31, 21:47 PM

thank you for your reply. interesting that the only 1 time laptop booted up immediately after power on since this whole fiasco started was after it had drained of battery completely. although i tried that again and no luck.

I read the solution post you referenced and will try that - except this Y50-70 has built in battery so I can't take it out.

if you or anyone reading this has any thoughts on how to completely drain battery I am all ears :)

Options

1 Posts

01-28-2018

US

3 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 16 of 18

Re: Screen wouldn't turn on stayed black and not running at all

2018-01-28, 16:58 PM

When I turn my Lenovo ideapad 110 on it makes weird sound and stays black screen and keyboard don't work 

Options

4297 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

• Message 17 of 18

2018-10-06, 10:52 AM

Options

1 Posts

04-26-2019

US

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 18 of 18

2019-04-26, 19:31 PM

Thank you so much! This worked for me too! (My Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E545 using Win 7 had been unplugged in "sleep" mode for about a week.)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save