cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SenorKodiak
Paper Tape
Views: 696
Message 1 of 5

Sent laptop in for cracked case, returned with non-functional sound card.

So I sent my laptop in for repairs on the case and keyboard and got it back with both problems fixed and a broken/shorted out sound card. I am certain it was working before I sent it in because I frequently DJ and use the audio port quite often. This is now an issue for me because one of my hobbies has taken a slight hit. Anyways, when I plug headphones into the Mm audio jack the Realtek Audio Manager notifies me I have plugged something in but  sound doesn't come out.

I have done the following in attempts to fix it or diagnose it. I have booted into Ubuntu, which recognizes it still but no sound. I have checked it was the default playback option in playback devices. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the audio driver a few times with the newest driver. I am at a loss for what to do now and am looking for any help I can! 

Much appreciated!Smiley Happy

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 669
Message 2 of 5

Re: Sent laptop in for cracked case, returned with non-functional sound card.

Welcome to the forum!

A little more information would be helpful to those responding to your post such as the model number of your machine.

There is a good possibility the problem maybe as simple as the repair facility failing to plug in a audio wire or card to the motherboard or it wasn't fully seated on its connection. You have basically two options. The first would be to send the system back in for repair.  The second, download the appropriate Hardware Maintenance Manual for your model and follow the instructions on how to disassemble your machine to inspect that all the wires and connections are properly made. If you are not comfortable with the disassembly then I would recommend sending it back in.  

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

SenorKodiak
Paper Tape
Views: 638
Message 3 of 5

Ah right! Yeah the reason I came to the conclusion that it was shorted was because I took out the the little sound card and unplugged and then plugged in the ribbon cable. That's about it though. But I guess then I should send it in for repairs again? Because I'm kind of down to the wire and need this computer for school.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 612
Message 4 of 5

If you're sure the card was correctly plugged in and you still have no sound then I would suggest sending it back in. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 592
Message 5 of 5

Sorry to see you're having a problem.

When you plug in your headphones to the jack, are you sure you have the "headphone" selected in the RealTek Manager, and not the "Line Out"?

RealTekHeadsm.png

Cheers,

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors