Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ishuo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,629
Message 1 of 11

Serial Number, Product Number INVALID

Hi,    

I had my Lenovo y5070 in service, and I received it after the faulty motherboard had been replaced. Unfortunately the service department didn't bothered to write my Serial Number and Product Number, and apps like Lenovo Companion do not identify my notebook. 

Can someone help me in addressing this issue? 

Thank you

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 6,569
Message 2 of 11

Re: Serial Number, Product Number INVALID

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

You will have to contact Lenovo Support so they can update that information for you.  There is no software or utility that the owner can use to do it.

Lenovo Support

Romanian
+40-742-726-843
9:00 - 18:00 Monday - Friday

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Former Employee
Views: 6,279
Message 3 of 11

I was able to resolve this as follows:

I downloaded the following

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_bios/9hjy58usa.exe

I extracted it then ran amidewin from a cmd line with admin privileges.  I needed to read the README first to determine which parameters to use.  I was able to update the product number and serial number this way.

For example to update the product type I ran AMIDEWIN /sp "xxxxxxx" where xxxxxxx was the info from the machine label on the back.

I did the same with the serial number using /ss

Once I did that, I was able to run Thinkvantage System Update which had not been possible previously.

I am a former employee not a support professional so any help I offer here is as a fellow user.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 6,251
Message 4 of 11

Glad to hear you were able to resolve your problem BMGRAHAM.   Does this work on all Lenovo models or just the Thinkpad product line? 

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

ishuo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,247
Message 5 of 11

Neither AMIDEWIN or W2flash work on my laptop.

I tried to run with admin rights amidewin.exe /sn "mysncode" from cmd

but I ge an error:

"Initializing the SMBIOS interface. Please wait a moment......
Init. SMBIOS ERROR"

Any ideea?

Former Employee
Views: 6,244
Message 6 of 11

It could be that the software I was using was specific to my PC. Make sure that you are downloading the equivalent software for your model.

I am a former employee not a support professional so any help I offer here is as a fellow user.
Former Employee
Views: 6,241
Message 7 of 11

@Majestic wrote:

Glad to hear you were able to resolve your problem BMGRAHAM.   Does this work on all Lenovo models or just the Thinkpad product line? 

I only tried it on m Think product and to be fair, mine was a ThinkCentre so anyone trying this should make sure they are downloading the right software for their product number.  I only posted this here because I saw the issue posted here.  I was actually stunned when it worked because I had spent hours trying to figure this out and it turned out to be so easy and quick once I found the right executable to use.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 6,226
Message 8 of 11

@BMGRAHAM wrote:

I only tried it on m Think product and to be fair, mine was a ThinkCentre so anyone trying this should make sure they are downloading the right software for their product number.  I only posted this here because I saw the issue posted here.  I was actually stunned when it worked because I had spent hours trying to figure this out and it turned out to be so easy and quick once I found the right executable to use.

Thanks for the update!

ishuo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,761
Message 9 of 11

but unfortunately does not work on Y series, so, any ideea how to help?
tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,747
Message 10 of 11

You need to call them back to get it resolved. There will be a record of the original purchase and S/N of the original system if not on a sticker on the underside of the system or battery compartment.

Knowone on a users forum can change this and if you leave it too long you'll have far bigger battle when you need to send it in again for warranty. Online Support via the SUPPORT button at the top of the page requires the serial number along with the model number to access a support tech to call you etc. This is all a must have information. Youl should have the return repair documentation and case number from that service to refer to.

Bottom line is you need to contact Lenovo !!!
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors