Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arjun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,729
Message 1 of 6

Shifting from Vista to XPSP2 for the first time

Hi,
      I am new to this forum. My Oracle 9i as well as 10G databases not at all work on Vista so need to get back to XPSP2.
      Can anyone tell me the process from scratch how to install the OS XP as well as its drivers posted on Lenovo website.
      Also the order in which the drivers should be installed one after another. Also after installing XP the Onekey recovery will
      be of any use or not. Complete formatting and repartitioning will be better or a Dual boot is better is so please do tell how to
      proceed for it.What setting changes  i have to do in BIOS. Any latest driver needed to download from other than Lenovo
      Website. my Lap is having Nvidia 8400GS graphics card.

I would be thankful for any guidance offered in installing XP as Vista is letting me do nothing on my Lap.

One more thing I came across is thatI have a Matsu**bleep**a UJ-875S 1.01 DVD writer installed on my Laptop. I am from India
     and bought many Original DVD titles of films. Now after trying to see different movies my DVD drive is locked to region 2. I
     never faced such kind of problem in XP. Moreover  All the DVD's I brought are from India, so no question of region change.  
     Still the DVD  kept on asking region code and unbehestknown I changes the codes 3 times and its permanantly locked now.
     Is there any way now I can play my other DVD's or is the player dead set to region2 ?

Please Help.
Retired Guru
Views: 1,689
Message 2 of 6

Re: Shifting from Vista to XPSP2 for the first time

Welcome to Community.
Xp installation procedure is a routine - it is done just as usual on desktops with modern chipsets. The procedure is same as previours year.
Here are some posts found on this forum using biult-in search option:
This, this, this and this. Read and be armed with knowledge.
Use the search in future for profit.

About your DVD. Use AnyDVD, DVD Gene, DVD Region Killer, DeCSS.

Message Edited by skripatch on 06-25-2008 06:08 PM
//help will save the world
arjun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,606
Message 3 of 6

Everything went fine for installing XP except for one thing, Veriface doesnt  popup at statrup. Infact Veriface itself is not installed in the system itself where as i installed each and every driver for XP.Also the Shuttle centre is not there,  might be that it was only made for Vista. Also I noticed sound and graphics quality in Games is far better in XP than in Vista.Only startup or booting time is a bit more in XP. Now got rid of Vista permanently except that i didnt touch the service partition as I installed XP on C: drive. Anybody having any idea how much will it cost to reset the whole system back to original state at the Lenovo service centre if required in the near future ?

Scripatch,

As far as u r advice regarding DVD drive is concerned nothing worked for it mate.

Message Edited by arjun on 07-02-2008 12:21 AM
Retired Guru
Views: 1,600
Message 4 of 6

Well, that's quite expectable, aryun.

You've blocked the region code of DVD. 

Software I posted is to play any dvd with any region code, but not to change code of the DVD-ROM itself. To change the region code of the drive itself you'll have to flash the drive's firmaware. As far as most devices in Y510 are checked for DMI information and the drive has a pretty chance to be Lenovo-only-certified, if you flash it's firmware you'll be able to use it on any other laptop but not your Y510. 

If you want such an experiment -google for firmware and procedure details. You may start here.

arjun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,595
Message 5 of 6

Scripatch,

I did what u mentioned. I posted a question on rpc1 forum http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44157, but no luck.

Can you suggest me an alternate DVD drive brand that I can install on my Y510 and flash it to watch mutiregion DVD's without any problem ?

Retired Guru
Views: 1,585
Message 6 of 6

aryun, you don't have to flash your drive to watch DVDs. You must use soft I posted to pass through the region limitations.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors