Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shoguevara
Serial Port
Views: 2,876
Message 21 of 27

Re: Shortcomings of the Y510

skripatch, please read my previous message again! I wrote "without using a screwdriver and DVD-ROM". What LiveCd are you talking about!?(This is not a question - it is an exclamation!!!)

Message Edited by shoguevara on 03-18-2008 05:57 PM
Retired Guru
Views: 2,867
Message 22 of 27

1) I don't know any laptop with NOVA button that is not DVD-Rom-with.
2)It's 2008 here and there are bootable flash-drives with LiveCD-like systems. And external USB-DVD-Roms, and network boot and a hammer to take your HDD out of laptop not using a screwdriver =)

So, anyway, as I said, if a man wants to steal your data - he finds a way. The only option for you is the HDD master password.

Message Edited by skripatch on 03-18-2008 09:29 PM
//help will save the world
shoguevara
Serial Port
Views: 2,815
Message 23 of 27

You misinterpreted my words again!
I mean do always carry bootable flash-drives or LiveCD with you? Or do you often have an opportunity to use such things? I think you don't... That's what I am talking about!
wernst
Punch Card
Views: 2,798
Message 24 of 27

Well, *I* always carry a bootable thumbdrive with me. It's on my keychain and it boots PuppyLinux. I *almost* always have my computer bag with me too, and it always has at least 5 or 6 bootable CDs or DVDs.

And I'm not out there trying to steal people's data. If I was, you can bet I would always carry around those tools.

-Warr
shoguevara
Serial Port
Views: 2,779
Message 25 of 27

I understand you, but I want to say that everyone, even the man who doesn't know what the LiveCD or bootable flsh drive is can grant himself access for my data if I don't password my HDD. What if I don't want to password it? If I'll forget my pass noone can access my personal data - even me!!! So, I think, I won't make any harm if Novo button will have a password protection.
Retired Guru
Views: 2,771
Message 26 of 27

Well, shoguevara, there's no reason in your words. What's the purpose of making NOVA passworded, but leaving your HDD non-protected?  You want to be secured at no cost of 3-second fingerwork? Oh really it's a problem to enter an HDD password!! if you're so paranoic about security - only HDD password. No other options. Even BIOS pswd is bypassing (with problems and soldering but still).
If you want security - CARE about it but do not say that Lenovo did something wrong - they did all pretty right. You want security - you get it. You want usability - you get it. If you don't want to spend 3 seconds of your 24-howered daytime for your own good but want Lenovo to spend money, time and workpower - it's not polite. You say you know how it works and it must be only two frases in program code to add password to NOVA. But you DON'T - you DON'T know how it is realised, you don't know why they did so (for example may be it makes conflict with Windows-enviroment power-state-switching). They made an option for your security - you just too lazy to use it. Not Lenovo's bad, yeah?

I'm sure the next thing you ask if the make NOVA passworded (although it IS passworded) - "why isn't the bloody HDD encrypted by default? Lenovo !? Hey?! Are you completely INSANE?!!! Don't you care about user's security?!?!"

Didn't want to hurt you by these words and aplogies if i did, but all in all it really looks strange.

Message Edited by skripatch on 03-22-2008 04:28 PM
//help will save the world
Highlighted
Former Administrator
Views: 2,764
Message 27 of 27

Hey,

Good discussion here..  It's always interesting to see different personal expectations about how a product should work.

For right now, the answer is that we don't see this as a security exposure because there are tools in place in the system which can be enabled - the HDD password, and the Power On / System password to provide protection for the user if the system is deemed at risk of theft, or the data contained is valuable / secret.

I'll note the observation that a separate password for the Novo function could be valuable to some users and we can consider that for future products. 

Thanks!

Mark

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors