Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boostedone
Punch Card
Views: 4,548
Message 1 of 27

Shortcomings of the Y510

I really like the Y510 for the features built into the unit.  Big screen, veriface and built-in webcam.  My main goal in my next laptop was security, and most anything with a fingerprint reader was pricey.

The things to like about the Y510
  • Veriface
  • web cam
  • 2 GB of RAM out the box
  • Keyboard is nice

Things to absolutely hate about the Y510

• C: partition.  This is an absolute deal breaker and may have me ditch this computer altogether.  My last computer was a Compaq (AMD Turion was worthless) with the recovery in the D partition.  I've never had to do a recovery in the 1.5 years I owned it.  Backing up was so easy because everything was in my profile.  Now, the 22 GB of profile I want to bring over have to reside on D.  Every shortcut in Vista points to C.  And since I just tried to redirect Documents to D, my profile has now disappeared completely from c://users/userx.  And changing the location of folders for shortcuts from the start menu doesn't propagate across the entire system.  Shortcuts in folders for pictures for instance, now want to delete themselves because the shortcut is no longer valid.  Very frustrating, and appears as though someone didn't think this through
  • No password for Novo button is inexcusable.  This is counter to any security model one could think of.  Turn-off computer, NOVO, setup new administrator, browse D and steal company secrets of laptop user.
  • No BIOS support for 4 GB of RAM.  As if Vista wasn't enough of a pig, we can't even spend money to help it out.
  • No Bluetooth option
  • Vista is a pig, nice pig, but pig nonetheless

I should've bought a Macbook and just ran bootcamp.  2.1 mhz Core2Duo base model out of the box, supports 4GB, 64 bit OS, video is much clearer for some reason, and probably the best screen you can find.

Just some healthy feedback for Lenovo.  Please study what Apple did with the power adapter, it is awesome.  And at least put a rubber strap on the big clunky power supply, it turns into a rat's nest in your bag, unlike the Apple unit.

A magnetic screen latch would've been great as well.  And not having Bluetooth as even an option makes your owners feel like second class consumers, considering that the basemodel Apple has it standard.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,536
Message 2 of 27

Re: Shortcomings of the Y510

boostedone wrote:
And at least put a rubber strap on the big clunky power supply, it turns into a rat's nest in your bag, unlike the Apple unit.

Welcome to the forum!

That seems odd.  I've seen the Y510 but didn't pay any attention to the power supply.  Is there not a velcro strap on the cord to use to coil it up neatly like the one pictured at Moore’s Law and Grey Velcro?  If not, shame on Lenovo for omitting it.  Home Depot or AutoZone has a good substitute in little packages of 5 or 6 already cut to the right size with a hole punched at one end.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,529
Message 3 of 27

boostedone wrote:
No password for Novo button is inexcusable.  This is counter to any security model one could think of.  Turn-off computer, NOVO, setup new administrator, browse D and steal company secrets of laptop user.

I'm confused.  Does the NOVO button bypass a HDD password?

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

boyle
Punch Card
Views: 4,524
Message 4 of 27

BIOS supports 4GB Ram.
I've tried it. But 32 bit OS can only see 3GB.
It's the OS fault, not BIOS.

and in my country, Y510 comes with built-in Bluetooth + GF8600M GT

I agree with NOVO button password.
That's why I wiped out the entire HDD and install new OS.
This way, NOVO button acts like power on.

Message Edited by boyle on 03-09-2008 12:30 AM
boostedone
Punch Card
Views: 4,492
Message 5 of 27

Here's what I had to do to remap the size heavy folders:

I just remapped all of the major documents that will take up space on my Y510.

The lesson learned here is that if you want to remap the "Documents" folder for instance onto the D: drive, you will need to first create a folder that the "Documents" link will take over.  Otherwise, your documents will simply map to D: directly.  You don't even have to rename it, simply create a new folder and move all items to it.  Right click what you want to remap, select properties, and then click on the tab "Location."
wernst
Punch Card
Views: 4,467
Message 6 of 27

It sounds like most of your problems would be solved by erasing the hard drive, including the restoration partition, and installing Windows XP. The Y510 is one of only a few new computers that have a full suite of XP drivers available from its manufacturer.

That would get rid of Vista, would disable the Novo restoration, and set the partitioning of the hard dive however you like.

The lack of 4GB ram support should only be an XP problem - did you actually install 4GB and find Vista not recognizing it?

The lack of bluetooth is an annoyance, but I haven't given up hope that there's an internal module that can be installed into the american Y510's, since the overseas units seem to have it. You could also just get a mini-USB bluetooth adapter, which is small enough to ALWAYS leave connected to a USB port. Check out Kensington's at http://us.kensington.com/html/14409.html

I'm not saying the Y510 isn't without annoyances, but the more I use this little computer, the more I am amazed by it, especially when considering its price.

-Warr

boostedone
Punch Card
Views: 4,419
Message 7 of 27

I agree with Wernst that, for the money, this machine rocks.  I'm starting to get hooked on Vista's networking links and profile access.  It is actually making me more productive.

The 4 GB limit is due to a 32-bit OS, I believe.  Which is why the Macs can run 4 GB since they use a 64-bit os.
boostedone
Punch Card
Views: 4,408
Message 8 of 27

Veriface is a really useful application.  Nothing beats not having to type in your password whenever you come out of sleep, or time out.

But can the design team please look at putting the ctrl key in the bottom right hand corner instead of FN since it is used so frequently.  Also, Home and End are very handy and having to hit FN to use them makes then not so handy.
Former Administrator
Views: 4,379
Message 9 of 27

Boostedone,

boostedone wrote:
No password for Novo button is inexcusable.  This is counter to any security model one could think of.  Turn-off computer, NOVO, setup new administrator, browse D and steal company secrets of laptop user.

So, I checked on this since you had a really good point.   Here was the advice I got back from our product team on enabling the security features in BIOS to close this exposure.

It is possible to set up a password requirement for the Novo key.

This can be done by setting up a User Password in the system BIOS. This will require the user to enter a password each time the system is booted, either through the normal process, or via the Novo key.  The password will also need to be entered when the system is resumes from Hibernate status.

There is also the option in BIOS to set up hard disk password to protect the disk from being read on a second computer. On the 510 and 710 you can set separate Master and User HDD passwords.

With the System password set and enabled each time the system performs a cold boot, or resumes from hibernate, or the user presses the Novo key, the user will need to enter the System User password.

With the HDD password set, when the hard drive is first accessed from a cold boot or a resume from hibernate, or the user presses the Novo key, the user will have to enter the HDD password. This is in addition to any system password that has been set.

If the user does not set up the System or HDD passwords then yes, it is possible to force the system to shutdown, press the Novo key, restore the system, and set up a new user/administrator ID. Any data that was on the C: partition will be lost. Any information on the D: partition will still be there and accessible unless it was encrypted by the original owner.

So, hopefully this will help you secure your system.

Mark
Highlighted
boostedone
Punch Card
Views: 4,367
Message 10 of 27

This is great information Mark, thank you for uncovering the detail.

Now, if all of those options are too cumbersome for daily use.  Can the team elaborate, if it is possible to setup Encryption in Vista/XP of partition data?  And in so doing, will the data be protected under a Novo restore?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors