Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Administrator
Views: 3,230
Message 11 of 27

Re: Shortcomings of the Y510

Boosted,

I don't believe that would offer the protection your looking for, because the NOVO button triggers a recovery that would overwrite C: irrespective of any windows based encryption.  I suppose if you used vista encryption on D: then the data might be protected.  I'd have to experiment with this to say for sure.

I think the surest way to protect would be to set either a power on password or the hard disk password because those are hardware level protections.   I don't know that you'd need both. 

I guess it's like adding more deadbolts to your front door.   The more you have, the more secure the door is, but the more effort is required to unlock all those locks each time you want to go in or out.   The locks are there - it's just up to the individual as to perhaps the right combination of them to balance security with accessibility and ease of use.

Just my 2 cents..

Mark

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,209
Message 12 of 27

@boostedone wrote:
This is great information Mark, thank you for uncovering the detail.

Now, if all of those options are too cumbersome for daily use. (snip..)

If passwords are too cumbersome for daily use, then you are not very serious about your security. It soon becomes a habit and you type your password without even thinking about it.
Just set the power on password and the hard drive password to the same thing and you only have one password to boot. As long as it is not too obvious you should be OK. Anything is better than nothing.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
shoguevara
Serial Port
Views: 3,182
Message 13 of 27

What are advances of VeryFace if the owner have to use password typing on every boot? Think passwording BIOS and HDD is not a solution. The NOVO buttons function must have a password protection, becouse it bothers to enter the password everytime I boot my machine. If this button doesn't have password protection its disadvantages are growing bigger than its advantages....
It is just my opinion, but I think there are a lot of people that agree with me.

And I have a question about veryface - can someone other log into system using the photo of notebook owner? Is there any mechanism for preventing such situiations?
boostedone
Punch Card
Views: 3,177
Message 14 of 27

shoguevara- I have to agree with you that password protecting the NOVO button is the next evolution in refining the system.

Regarding bootup passwords- Veriface is slow right now for me and sometimes non-functional when booting up or coming out of sleep.

The value for me with Veriface, isn't the initial putting in of the password at powerup/startup, it is not having to sit down and type in the password with every 5 minute lapse of inactivity.  That is so golden for me, and it works awesome, even with a baseball cap on, just make sure you look up into the camera at some point with your eyes and it'll get you.  My first registration didn't work so well, but the 2nd time has been a charm.

I love my Y510.  This is replacing an Compaq AMD, never again will I buy one of their machines.
Retired Guru
Views: 3,172
Message 15 of 27

Shoguevara, actually Lenovo engeneers agree with you. Even better - they have already everything done at the moment =) Read this.
//help will save the world
boostedone
Punch Card
Views: 3,132
Message 16 of 27

I noticed that my computer was on with the fans on full blast in the laptop case with lid closed.  Is this a hardware/bios issue, or a Windows issue?  I don't understand why most Windows laptops are horrible with sleeping when the lid is closed.  I had a DELL which was the best Windows machine I've ever had when it comes to doing what it was supposed to when the lid was closed.  There was the occasional episode of not sleeping with the lid closed, but not often.

The Apple laptops are rock solid about going to sleep with the lid closed.  I know because my wife has one.  And they are rock solid when it comes to waking from sleep as well.  I've gone weeks without a reboot on Macs, but there's no way you could pull that off with a Windows machine.
shoguevara
Serial Port
Views: 3,097
Message 17 of 27

I just wrote few days ago that passwording BIOS is not a solution - there must be passwoed protection of the lenove recovering utility. I don't think it would be very difficult for the programmists, I know that because I have a liitle programming experience and I can say that it won't make the utility much more bigger(a couple of Kb).
Retired Guru
Views: 3,090
Message 18 of 27

Well. What's the use of passwording the NOVA utility if there's a HDD password? It's a matter of two minutes to take the hard disk out of notebook , so your data is only protected if you use HDD password - all other features are not seriously taken for me about security. Having an HDD password prevents all kinds of security threatment to your data if notebook or  hard disk  is stolen, and Veriface can provide protection of your computer for the time you're having cup of  whiskey  coffee and leaving your powered on laptop insecured.
shoguevara
Serial Port
Views: 3,053
Message 19 of 27

I mean that everyone who even know a little about lenovo notebooks(if I dont want to set pwd on my HDD) can get access my data even without using DVD-ROM or screwdriver. He just need to press only one button!!! I agree that windows password or veryface system doesn't provide totall protection, but unpassworded novo buttton increases risk of stoling my data.
Retired Guru
Views: 3,040
Message 20 of 27

Sure he can! And even more! If you've got a notebook without NOVA button bad guys can access your system from one of those LiveCD's. So, the NOVA button isn't really a security threatment. If a man is wise enough he can find a way to steal your data in almoust any case. So use HDD password which alsa concerns NOVA function. And be safe. All other ways are just kid's plays. Except encryption =)

Message Edited by skripatch on 03-18-2008 03:14 PM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors