Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
romeactual
Not applicable
Views: 1,013
Message 1 of 7

Slow Boot times SSD + HDD Y580

Hello all, I recently installed a Crucial M4 256GB Msata on my Y580. I messed around with a few different options so far.

-I found that the Msata alone has the fastest boot time ~15s. (This makes sense as any other drive needs to be scanned)

-I then tried the Msata and stock 1000GB drive which gave me a ~30-35 sec boot time. ( I used Easeus Partition Master to delete all original partitions)

-Lastly, I tried this. I have a 128GB 2.5" Enterprise SSD which is farily slow. Its around the same read/write speeds as the HDD (A bit faster 110mbs read 100mbs write). With the Msata and 128GB SSD it goes back to around a ~10-15sec boot.

Can a HDD really slow down boots by an additional 15-20 seconds? Is there any settings I can change? I didn't want to keep the 128GB SSD installed, because there just isn't enough room for it to be practical as a second drive. Thanks for any thoughts.

romeactual
Not applicable
Views: 1,009
Message 2 of 7

Re: Slow Boot times SSD + HDD Y580

As of now I think I will just go back to the 128GB SSD as the second internal disc. I don't know why boot up times bug me. I guess since I spent another $200 on a drive I want my computer to be furious.

romeactual
Not applicable
Views: 970
Message 3 of 7

Bump..Anyone have any ideas?

vanowm
Not applicable
Views: 957
Message 4 of 7

Did you check if there is a firmware update at crucial website?
Do you have anything installed on 1tb drive?
Have you tried reinstall windows with full SSD format?
romeactual
Not applicable
Views: 932
Message 5 of 7

There is an update but it has known problems with the Msata version. Anyways, that would have nothing to do with the increased boot times with an added drive. The msata by itself boots just fine in a fast time.

Also, as I said there was barely anything on the 1000GB drive, definitely no installed programs. And I wouldn't reinstall windows for this reason I installed windows with AHCI on, so there would be no conflict to my SSD. I'm simply asking if a HDD adds time to boot up, specifically another 15sec...

vanowm
Not applicable
Views: 923
Message 6 of 7

I see no increase in speed. Boot time is about 7-8 seconds between pressing power button and login screen. But I have different mSATA drive.

If your laptop came with it's own msata drive, perhaps you could try test with that?

P.S.
hope you didn't install any rapid drive or express cache, have you? either of these are no needed if you run OS from SSD

[EDIT]

I read in another topic you replied that you have about 50gb used for music/videos/photos, etc. Perhaps that's the cause, maybe W8 scans drive for media? What you can do to test that theory without formatting 1tb drive, is set NTFS permissions to deny access to it, so system won't be able access it. Or perhaps safer test would be remove drive letter through computer manager.

romeactual
Not applicable
Views: 891
Message 7 of 7

Ok, so then something is definitely conflicting. The only program I see installed is Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Would that conflict? When I installed all of the drivers I just went of off the post that was on here. I think its the main one explaining a clean install of windows.

I really couldn't see the music and movies affecting anything tho. I already had formatted even before I installed using a 2.5" external enclosure. I was thinking, does the computer have to realize its a secondary drive? Like do you have to equip it in a way?

Now, Like I said earlier I went back to the 128GB SSD and I'm getting the following issue: After a fresh boot up the drive isn't recognized at all. But as soon as I restart it, it comes up as the D drive. Everytime I have started the computer it has done this. I'm about to put a post up about it. I've looked in the BIOS but it is so limited. My comp just came stock with the 1000gb drive and no msata.

The only option I can see worth changing is the "Operating system optimize" setting. It's currently set to WIN 8, but I can change it to other OS, if that would help? Thanks again for your replies

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors