Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wapow13
Fanfold Paper
Views: 321
Message 1 of 6

Small crack near screw on y50.

I know this has been brought up before but my crack is very small. I have had the laptop since 6/10/15 and this laptop has been sitting on the same table ever since purchase day. I opened it up today and heard 2 small cracks and then I looked on the bottom and saw this (see picture). Found a couple of replacements for the bottom on ebay for 45 dollars but should I go ahead and do it or should I ignore. I brought an extended warranty with accidental damage protection which extended the warranty to 2 years as well if that helps 

Link to image

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 297
Message 2 of 6

Re: Small crack near screw on y50.

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear of the problem with your new system.  Your only option in resolving the problem would be to contact Lenovo Support for the repair.  Replacing the part yourself will only result in your warranty being void. 

Lenovo Support - USA

1-877-453-6686
24 hours a day 7 days / week

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

wapow13
Fanfold Paper
Views: 292
Message 3 of 6

Ahh okay. This isnt under the warranty right? so they would probably charge me Smiley Sad 

wapow13
Fanfold Paper
Views: 290
Message 4 of 6

I just think that Lenovo should cover this under this specific laptop since the plastic part of the laptop which stresses the hinge have metal screws around it and other people have experienced the same problem lol. I don't have money for a repair and I'm just worried that dust/dirt will get in. Will dust and dirt get in, you think?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 282
Message 5 of 6

Since you have the additional Accidental Damage Warranty I believe the repair would be covered regardless if it was a defect or was accidentally done.  Lenovo Support can best advise you. 

It is possible a little dust and dirt may get it, but that can be easily cleaned using some canned compressed air in all the vents to blow out the dust.  If you are still concerned put a piece of clear tape over the non-movable part of the crack to seal it. My main concern would be that the cracking migrates to the point that it breaks apart or off thus rendering your laptop unusable. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

wapow13
Fanfold Paper
Views: 269
Message 6 of 6

If it does break apart and my laptop becomes unusable, then I can definitely use the Accidental Damage protection then XD I will be giving them a call tomorrow because I believe that it will get worse and that I paid the extra money

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors